• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Offers Discussion

Stompa

I got a Travelodge voucher yesterday and loaded it into my account. However when I went to book my tickets today, I went into my RSH account, under eVoucher details and guess what.

E-vouchers
XXXXXXX Expiry Tue, Jun 11th 2013 Remaining balance: £0.00

It's now magically got a zero balance! I knew it was too good to be true.
Hmmm, I got one yesterday on my account, and another on Mrs S's account. Both were showing as £10 yesterday, but today they both also say 'Remaining balance: £0.00'. Blast!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Hmmm, I got one yesterday on my account, and another on Mrs S's account. Both were showing as £10 yesterday, but today they both also say 'Remaining balance: £0.00'. Blast!

I imagine that's due to people posting the code to get the voucher on forums after the Travelodge page had been taken down. However, how would they know who obtained the code before it was taken down? It isn't necessarily people who submitted the form after a certain time as some people may have decided the site is running slow and since they've got the code they'll go back later and do the rest.

I found yesterday that one that a got a duplicate for from a previous promotion (as a result of a RSH error not as the result of trying to get 2 vouchers on one account) and not used and has been removed.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Have seen these mentioned in previous years but didn't see this one on the site.

Fill out the form at http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/dailymail to receive a free 2-month railcard valid until 31st July 2013.

This offer is only available online until 23.59 hrs 23rd May 2013.

It was reported in post #905 ( http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1446710&postcount=905 ) and again in post #922 ( http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1451256&postcount=922 ).

There's just been quite a lot of recent discussion of RSH vouchers since then

Goatboy

Established Member
I really think RSH need to stop with the voucher giveaways until they get the internal processes they need to make them work properly in order. Every single one is accompanied by some sort of 'unexpected demand' farce.

Stompa

I really think RSH need to stop with the voucher giveaways until they get the internal processes they need to make them work properly in order. Every single one is accompanied by some sort of 'unexpected demand' farce.
Indeed. Though this latest Travelodge deal did at least seem to have one improvement in that it limited you to one voucher per account, though of course there's nothing to stop people opening multiple accounts.

IanD

Established Member
For once I got a voucher and luckily I had some tickets I needed to book straight away. As long as they send them...

Be3G

Established Member
I ordered three of the RSH Tesco Clubcard vouchers last week, one on Monday and two a day or two later. I've received one voucher so far, but no sign of the other two appearing. :-?

Stompa

On the RSH Facebook page it says:

There seems to be an issue with the Travelodge vouchers and it's something we're currently looking into. We hope to have the issue resolved soon, we're sorry for any inconvenience caused.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

I bet the non-managerial employees at RSH are thinking the same.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just seen on the RSH Facebook page:

''Unfortunately, a huge number of fraudulent accounts have been set up to redeem the Travelodge offer. Because of this, redspottedhanky and the Travelodge have had to remove the offer completely.

We’re extremely sorry for the inconvenience to all of our loyal customers and will continue to work on this issue.''

Searle

Established Member

''Unfortunately, a huge number of fraudulent accounts have been set up to redeem the Travelodge offer. Because of this, redspottedhanky and the Travelodge have had to remove the offer completely.

We’re extremely sorry for the inconvenience to all of our loyal customers and will continue to work on this issue.''

one day they'll get it right. one day...

northwichcat

Veteran Member
one day they'll get it right. one day...

It's difficult to get an approach that will work:
- One code per account doesn't mean you can't have multiple accounts.
- One code per IP address could mean some people can get multiple codes while some people can't even get one code.
- One code per household means some large student houses are restricted to one person in the house being able to get a code and that same person may be able to get a second one via their home address.
- One code per person works in principle but difficult to check.

aleph_0

jcollins: there's no perfect solution, but they could put some effort in. One code per credit card could limit things quite a bit. The offers could be changed to be a function of spending (£10 off when you spend £20 in a single transaction). They could also make sure the code goes straight to the account - this one, you got a code by e-mail, which I expect (although of course, didn't try) could be used on a different account. I've seen an attempt to sell such a code on ebay today. At the moment, they've put in no effort to stop misuse.

Now might be a good time to point out their fantasy GP game. Points won in the game will be converted to loyalty points (with a cap of 1500 points) at the end of the season. So, a bit of a wait, but worth signing up, quickly creating a team, in order to maybe get some free points by Christmas.: http://fantasygp.games-redspottedhanky.com/

IanD

Established Member

As long as they don't ask for it back, I've already spent it.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Well, I've before had RSH vouchers loose value without being used at all, they wanted info on what promotion I got it from, how much they should be and screenshots to prove it. I loose the will to live with them and generally don't bother with their promotions anymore.

TP

northwichcat

Veteran Member
As long as they don't ask for it back, I've already spent it.

Have you got your ticket printed? On another forum someone posted that they bought a ticket using the code and went to a TVM to get it but the TVM said their reference number wasn't a valid one.

IanD

Established Member
Have you got your ticket printed? On another forum someone posted that they bought a ticket using the code and went to a TVM to get it but the TVM said their reference number wasn't a valid one.

I asked them to post them. Be v annoyed if they don't.

BlueFox

My Tesco RSH vouchers have now appeared; a week after claiming them.

I'm still waiting for mine, twelve days after claiming them.

After having dealt with them by email a few times I came to the conclusion that their staff are all idiots. The Tesco vouchers shambles has reinforced this view.

IanD

Established Member
I'm still waiting for mine, twelve days after claiming them.

After having dealt with them by email a few times I came to the conclusion that their staff are all idiots. The Tesco vouchers shambles has reinforced this view.

I think they only have 1 member of staff, 2 at the most. But both do seem pretty clueless.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Re RSH I'm amazed at the sense of entitlement some people have about their free vouchers (not so much on this thread but on some of the deals websites).

Surely RSH can withdraw vouchers at any time if they feel a promotion is being abused? It's not like you've lost £10 if they cancelled your voucher - it was never your £10 in the first place!

Personally I've found RSH to be an excellent website for booking tickets and on the one occasion I missed out on a voucher, I emailed their customer services and within 48 hourd had a reply from "Babs" stating that they had credited my account with said missing voucher.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Re RSH I'm amazed at the sense of entitlement some people have about their free vouchers (not so much on this thread but on some of the deals websites).

Have you seen the thread on Money Saving Expert?

Person 1 saying they're going to complain to the CEO.

Person 2 in response saying the CEO has bigger problems to worry about.

Person 1 saying we should all write to the CEO then. (Effectively saying we should make it their biggest problem!)

Personally I've found RSH to be an excellent website for booking tickets and on the one occasion I missed out on a voucher, I emailed their customer services and within 48 hourd had a reply from "Babs" stating that they had credited my account with said missing voucher.

Someone posted on here before that there was a delay in their tickets being posted and RSH offered them a £5 voucher even though they still got their tickets in time to make their journey using them.

Bungle73

On Moderation
There's some people on FB making out that they're not going to able travel without this voucher, and some guy claiming he's not going to be able to get to his "clients" (he didn't say what kind)........

Another wanted his "money back".

It really is unbelievable.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Epitomises quite a lot of things wrong with where the society is going.

Starmill

Veteran Member
People will always moan, its optimistic to the point of foolishness (finally! A good use for that quote) to hope that people will not try to get something for nothing I think. It's perfectly rational, even if it is annoying.

Searle

Established Member
From RSH's facebook:

redspottedhankyupdate:

We’ve been working extremely hard to try and resolve the Travelodge voucher issue for our redspottedhanky customers.

If you’ve signed up for a Travelodge voucher during the promotion then please click the link to be taken through to our website where you can fill in your details so we can look at re-issuing your voucher. Here

We’ve put additional processes in place to ensure that fraudulent entries will not be accepted.

We’d like to thank all of our customers again for being patient during this time.

Thanks,
RSH

IanD

Established Member
People will always moan, its optimistic to the point of foolishness (finally! A good use for that quote) to hope that people will not try to get something for nothing I think. It's perfectly rational, even if it is annoying.

I will always be a bit miffed if I miss out on a voucher fare and square and just shrug it off but I reserve the right to complain if I don't get a voucher due to RSH's incompetence and inability to organise a beer drinking session in an establishment recognised for producing alcoholic beverages.

But on this occasion I'm pleased to have got a voucher and spent it before they asked for it back. Tickets are now in my hand - Stranraer here I come :)