• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spirit of London Bus catches fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbonwick

Established Member
That's definitely arson. I really hope they decide to fix it, as it has significance both because of the name and because it was the first E400 off the production line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pyromaniac

As said by Michael definately arson with the fact its not centred around the engine by above it on the rear seats upstairs.

Likewise hope it is fixed due to its significance.

christopher

http://www.demotix.com/photo/1531769/fire-brigade-called-after-london-bus-catches-fire

Looks suspicious to me! :-x

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/wfnews/9995549.WALTHAMSTOW__Bus_bursts_into_flames/

A DOUBLE-DECKER bus was engulfed by flames in a suspected arson attack last night.

It happened in Selborne Road, outside Walthamstow Central station, just after 12.30am (Friday October 19).

No-one was injured but the entire top floor of the vehicle, a number 69, was destroyed.

Transport for London (TfL) said they believed the fire was started deliberately and denied rumours there had been an engine fault.

The bus was in service but no-one was on board when the blaze was first spotted.

Mike Weston, Operations Director for London Buses, said: "[the] bus, operated by Stagecoach, suffered suspected malicious fire damage to its upper deck.

"There were no injuries and Stagecoach has supplied the bus's CCTV footage to the Metropolitan Police to assist with their investigations.”

Photographs taken by passers-by appear to show that the blaze started at the back of the bus's top floor and then spread.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said they were called at 12.37am.

Five fire-fighters brought the blaze under control by around 1.05am.

The number 69, which is a 24-hour service, runs between Walthamstow Central and Canning Town Bus Station via Plaistow, Stratford, Leytonstone and Leyton.

The Guardian is awaiting a statement from Waltham Forest Police.
Confirmed as suspected arson.

Ivo

Established Member
What is wrong with some people...? :(

If nothing else, at least it wasn't on 7/7 in any given year. That would be taking things too far.

Skimble19

Established Member
Looking at the photos of the rear of the bus you can clearly see there is no damage at all by the engine, it's all above on the top floor. I find it interesting that the lights are still on downstairs as well - Thought they'd have cut out?

BestWestern

Established Member
Looking at the photos of the rear of the bus you can clearly see there is no damage at all by the engine, it's all above on the top floor. I find it interesting that the lights are still on downstairs as well - Thought they'd have cut out?

Not until the cables are burnt through. If you see pictures of the Arriva ALX400 torched by some equally worthless scum during the riots, you'll see that the headlamps remained lit almost till the end, really quite eerie.

As for this one, I have to say I don't imagine they'll repair it sadly, the damage is quite extensive. The high content of fibreglass and plastics etc in modern vehicles means that sadly they burn like torches. It would have been inappropriate for the spokesman to say anything other than that they were hopeful the bus would be repaired, in view of it's special status.

A real shame, but not surprising sadly. We can only hope that the CCTV survived and provides something useful.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I hope it can be repaired too. Looks unlikely from that rear view. However, although it wouldn't be the same, they could always rename another similar bus from the fleet and do it up like the burnt one.

Dave

christopher

Yorkie mucked it up whilst trying to merge my two posts together :p

Apparently it was two girls who done it after having a argument with the driver :roll:

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I heard somewhere from an unreliable source (begins with w and ends in a) that the bus that replaced the one bombed 7 years ago was called spirit of london, is that the bus on fire?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If it is only the top deck then all is not lost. TfL might even be willing to fund the rebuild. ;)

Pyromaniac

TfL might even be willing to fund the rebuild. ;)

Good point, they like wasting money on pointless things and rules *cough* Borismaster *cough* Non-Tip Up Seats *cough* Changing Livery Regs Every Few Years *cough*

Then again, could re-apply SoL name on a Borismaster that is more "London".

cainebj

Established Member
It has been confirmed that two 14 year old girls have been arrested and charged with arson. Stagecoach have assessed the damage and will be spending approximately £50,000 on repairs to restore the bus.

Pyromaniac

It has been confirmed that two 14 year old girls have been arrested and charged with arson. Stagecoach have assessed the damage and will be spending approximately £50,000 on repairs to restore the bus.

Likewise I read that on BBC News today. Its a close call based on the repair cost but as the main engine area has possibly very little damage and the significance of the vehicle is worth spending the money repairing it.

@ATWalex101: Not the first time I've heard that joke although this was one of the last forums I signed up to with it. Might not help saying I'm off out to watch the local fireworks display later...:)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can almost guarantee that the identities of the chavs will be kept secret, they will be let off with incredibly lenient sentences, they will be allowed to continue travelling on buses, they will not be required to repay the cost of the damage, and they will not learn their lesson (but will say they have learnt their lesson in order to keep the sentence down). I will be very pleasantly surprised if our legal system proves me wrong, but I just don't see it happening!

anthony263

Established Member
I can almost guarantee that the identities of the chavs will be kept secret, they will be let off with incredibly lenient sentences, they will be allowed to continue travelling on buses, they will not be required to repay the cost of the damage, and they will not learn their lesson (but will say they have learnt their lesson in order to keep the sentence down). I will be very pleasantly surprised if our legal system proves me wrong, but I just don't see it happening!

I do have to agree with what you have said here although like you I do hope we are proved wrong.

That said after reading about the person who was alleged to have torched those buses in Paignton recently having the charges dropped against him I am not holding my hopes up.

I would like to see Boris kicking up a fuss about if though if these girls do get off

mbonwick

Established Member
They definitely won't be named - at 14 they're still children so we'll get "cannot be named for legal reasons".

Similarly if they do get ordered to pay any costs it will be a pathetically small amount.

Pyromaniac

Indeed. Whilst 'setting fire to the bus' isn't explicitly mentioned, I'm sure it still counts as a breach of the ZIP Behaviour Code. :shock:

You must not:
  • Behave in a way that we consider to be antisocial
  • Commit any crime that affects our services, passengers, staff or property

Assume both of these can be used in this case. And I very much hope it is in this case, serve them a lesson for those who can travel without setting fire to things.

Ivo

Established Member
And to take things further:

If you've had your Zip Oyster photocard removed for breaching the Young Person's Behaviour Code, you can earn it back by volunteering in your local community.

You can't take part if

You had your concession removed because of criminal behaviour

Taken away with no opportunity for reinstatement. As it should be.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Thats just stupid to know that somebody my age will do something so stupid as to set fire to a bus. And because their minors **** all will be done

Ivo

Established Member
Thinking about this whole episode, the name "Spirit of London" shows through here as well as for 7/7, albeit not on the same scale. Fire damage will not stop the country and its workforce from doing what is necessary - and Britain protects what is important to her.

I know it's not a consolation for this, but good on Stagecoach for paying for the repair works (at a cost that would put most off).

34D

Established Member
I'd be interested to see how the figure of £50k is calculated. Most disgraceful incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.