• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SPT Tendered Routes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sannox

That's a lot! Is that the 59 back to running with McGill's?

With these increase costs SPT going to have to start making cuts...

Well you can see they've been shaving a few journeys. I wonder how much demand will be monitored and some of the 'fresh air specials' that we're told are 'vital' will be pulled.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the Cumbernauld 343 (there is also an Ayrshire 343 as well, which duplicate numbers would not happen in London at all), it seems that Stagecoach (Ayr) are going to be taking that off. This was a replacement to cover Seafar Road and Greenfaulds Road when the X28 was took off last year.

From my own observations (albeit unscientific), since the 343 was introduced, it is mainly used by shoppers as it does not have a very friendly connection with the X25 for onward journeys to Royal Infirmary/Glasgow as was promoted at the time when the X28 was took off. Ever since when Seafar Road and Greenfaulds Road were developed by the former CDC, they had always had a direct bus to Condorrat, Royal Infirmary, and Glasgow up to when the X28 was took off last year.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wonder just how many SPT tendered services are actually worth being called "vital" or "essential?" The only one I've seen busy lately is the 59. I think SPT just need to be firm with the public and set a level of passengers required for services to remain in operation and if numbers drop below it, services can be axed as soon as possible. I'm sure that operators will welcome it given the nature of the industry at the moment with limited resources and buses forever becoming more expensive to run. It would also save SPT an absolute fortune and allow them to work out how to use funding more effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Observer

Regarding the Cumbernauld 343 (there is also an Ayrshire 343 as well, which duplicate numbers would not happen in London at all), it seems that Stagecoach (Ayr) are going to be taking that off. This was a replacement to cover Seafar Road and Greenfaulds Road when the X28 was took off last year.

From my own observations (albeit unscientific), since the 343 was introduced, it is mainly used by shoppers as it does not have a very friendly connection with the X25 for onward journeys to Royal Infirmary/Glasgow as was promoted at the time when the X28 was took off. Ever since when Seafar Road and Greenfaulds Road were developed by the former CDC, they had always had a direct bus to Condorrat, Royal Infirmary, and Glasgow up to when the X28 was took off last year.
A few months ago if you see this thread it had been awarded to PVT Transfer to start in July, now it has been amended to remove journeys.

Not really surprising Stagecoach didn't keep it, always seemed like a temporary thing and last I remember they threw an E300 on it when it didn't need anything as big, the PVT minibuses should do the job fine.

Interesting that SPT opted to keep the Canavan 147/247 contract going when they have been dealing with a lot of missed journeys lately according to their Facebook page though. Things were fine for them until the contracts started.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A few months ago if you see this thread it had been awarded to PVT Transfer to start in July, now it has been amended to remove journeys.

Not really surprising Stagecoach didn't keep it, always seemed like a temporary thing and last I remember they threw an E300 on it when it didn't need anything as big, the PVT minibuses should do the job fine.

Interesting that SPT opted to keep the Canavan 147/247 contract going when they have been dealing with a lot of missed journeys lately according to their Facebook page though. Things were fine for them until the contracts started.

I missed the earlier post mentioned within this thread.

Stagecoach from my own observations have used a single decker (mainly the unbranded ones, sometimes one of the Clyde Fastlink X19 vehicles). Assuming no changes to the line of the figure of eight route, the PVT minibus will be fine.

Canavan used to run the 45 Abronhill - Condorrat (the two largest populated neighbourhoods of the New Town) every 10 minutes, and the 43 Town Centre - Kilsyth via Croy Station every 20 minutes, but since they took on the Monklands Hospital routes, they have joined the 45 and 43 to run as the 435 on a 30 minute frequency Abronhill - Kilsyth via Condorrat (serving both the south and north rings). I did not realise they were that bad in terms of drivers as for the Monklands routes, it was an extra 4 vehicles and drivers required.

Observer

I missed the earlier post mentioned within this thread.

Stagecoach from my own observations have used a single decker (mainly the unbranded ones, sometimes one of the Clyde Fastlink X19 vehicles). Assuming no changes to the line of the figure of eight route, the PVT minibus will be fine.

Canavan used to run the 45 Abronhill - Condorrat (the two largest populated neighbourhoods of the New Town) every 10 minutes, and the 43 Town Centre - Kilsyth via Croy Station every 20 minutes, but since they took on the Monklands Hospital routes, they have joined the 45 and 43 to run as the 435 on a 30 minute frequency Abronhill - Kilsyth via Condorrat (serving both the south and north rings). I did not realise they were that bad in terms of drivers as for the Monklands routes, it was an extra 4 vehicles and drivers required.
I think the issue comes down to the 147/247 being an all day route including early mornings and late nights, something away from their comfort zone, they never used to have problems getting drivers to work for them.

They did try and run the 43 and 45 normally for a while but eventually had to resort to the combined 435 service a few months later. And even after that there have been runs being missed, whether it's the main shifts or lunch breaks.

Obviously driver shortages are not isolated to one company but you would think SPT would look into trying to address the issue, perhaps splitting some of the earlier or later work to another contract / another operator might help.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think the issue comes down to the 147/247 being an all day route including early mornings and late nights, something away from their comfort zone, they never used to have problems getting drivers to work for them.

They did try and run the 43 and 45 normally for a while but eventually had to resort to the combined 435 service a few months later. And even after that there have been runs being missed, whether it's the main shifts or lunch breaks.

Obviously driver shortages are not isolated to one company but you would think SPT would look into trying to address the issue, perhaps splitting some of the earlier or later work to another contract / another operator might help.
This is why I think that they need to axe a lot of SPT tendered services. Nobody has the drivers and it's affecting commercial networks with busier services leading to daily cancellations all over the place. The only alternative I can think of is for SPT to use the funds that they have to help operators improve pay and conditions to get more drivers in. The problem is that a lot of people who left the industry will probably never come back as they think companies will never change.

voidwxrranty

Observer

The contract was initially turned down by JMB’s in February, wonder what’s made them change their mind.
Usually comes down to having the resources that they didn't have previously for whatever reason, or other contracts expiring.

Remember that not everyone takes up the contracts that are offered to them so there is always a chance someone else gets it instead.

Last edited:

cocoiadrop

Canavan are advertising a fare increase from the 7th on their services but seems not to show what they’ll actually increase to. Anyone know?

PaulMc7

Established Member

Some new timetables have been put on the SPT website for changes on the 16th of July. I will link all of these below for the ones that are there so far. I have done this from back to front on the service list as the M7 was last on the list but also the new service:

Stan Drews

Established Member

Some new timetables have been put on the SPT website for changes on the 16th of July. I will link all of these below for the ones that are there so far. I have done this from back to front on the service list as the M7 was last on the list but also the new service:

There aren’t any changes to the 2/2A. The times are exactly the same, just shown in a different layout.

McGills have lost (ish) the 312 service to Midland Bluebird.

MIDLAND BLUEBIRD LTD312Coatbridge South Circular RoadCaldercruix, Airdrie Road

Observer

McGills have lost (ish) the 312 service to Midland Bluebird.

MIDLAND BLUEBIRD LTD312Coatbridge South Circular RoadCaldercruix, Airdrie Road
Maybe not so much a loss but more reallocating it to another depot / license as the 312 was not up for renewal yet.

Does make you wonder if McGill's would snap up more SPT work by means of using Larbert resources though!

Looked into it further and seems it is being run alongside the Falkirk Council F2 contract which seems to be finishing up in Caldercruix now. So there is your explanation to this oddity.
  • Service number. F2
  • Service type Normal Stopping
  • Start point Falkirk, Garrison Place
  • Finish point Caldercruix, Airdrie Road
  • Via Slamanan, Limerigg

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
Maybe not so much a loss but more reallocating it to another depot / license as the 312 was not up for renewal yet.

Does make you wonder if McGill's would snap up more SPT work by means of using Larbert resources though!
Yes, the contract has been re-assigned to Midland Bluebird, and will be operated in conjunction with the Falkirk Council supported F2 (currently 2) between Falkirk and Limerigg, when it changes in August.
Caldercruix isn’t very far from Limerigg.

overthewater

Established Member
So the F2 will only go down to Caldercruix on a Sunday and weekday evenings? The last time a bus did that section I think it was old F20 10 years ago? and before that Im sure First Glasgow went up to Limerigg 3 times a day on the 212 back in early 2000s.

So the F2 will only go down to Caldercruix on a Sunday and weekday evenings? The last time a bus did that section I think it was old F20 10 years ago? and before that Im sure First Glasgow went up to Limerigg 3 times a day on the 212 back in early 2000s.
The Caldercruix extension will be of help to me on the odd occasion

voidwxrranty

Confirmed to me by a member of staff earlier, ARG Travel are to continue operating the 190 service until the 7th Oct.

Observer

Craigs of Cumbernauld are operating the 245/245A again. Had previously run this briefly last year but had to hand it back due to a delivery issue with buses. McNairn's have been running it since.
  • Service number. 245, 245A
  • Start point Moodiesburn, Gartferry Road
  • Finish point Coatbridge South Circular Road
  • Via Gartcosh
  • Date received 03 Jul 2023
  • Effective date 20 Jul 2023

PVT Transfer have won the 71A too.
  • Service number.71A
  • Start point Torrance
  • Finish point Glasgow, Buchanan Bus Station
  • Via Bishopbriggs
  • Date received 29 Jun 2023
  • Effective date 16 Jul 2023

Last edited:

voidwxrranty

Craigs of Cumbernauld are operating the 245/245A again. Had previously run this briefly last year but had to hand it back due to a delivery issue with buses. McNairn's have been running it since.

PVT Transfer have won the 71A too.

Was expecting McColl’s to win the 71A since they have a run out that way (47/47A)

Stan Drews

Established Member
Yes, I think there are 2 journeys each way that extend from Limerigg to Caldercruix on Mon to Sat evenings, and then a couple each way again on a Sunday.
The timetable is also reduced slightly, as part of SPTs budget savings, although that’s not related to the change of operating depot.

Observer

Dunns should make their minds up once and for all as to whether they want to run a bus service or not, instead of picking and choosing when to run them.
Well they have made their mind up now.

Not sure if SPT will look to be replacing any of them. This from Tuesday and Wednesday's registrations page.

• PM1014807/3 Cancelled​

DUNNS COACHES LTD
    Route: Cumbernauld, Tesco Auchinbee to Cumbernauld, Tesco Auchinbee via Carrickstone
    Service number: 34
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 20 Oct 2023
  • PM1014807/1 Cancelled​

DUNNS COACHES LTD
    Route: Cumbernauld, Town Centre to Circular
    Service number: 49
  • PM1014807/4 Cancelled​

DUNNS COACHES LTD
    Route: Cumbernauld, Tesco Auchinbee to Cumbernauld, Tesco Auchinbee via Carrickstone
    Service number: 35

Last edited:

duffers2324

I wonder just how many SPT tendered services are actually worth being called "vital" or "essential?" The only one I've seen busy lately is the 59. I think SPT just need to be firm with the public and set a level of passengers required for services to remain in operation and if numbers drop below it, services can be axed as soon as possible. I'm sure that operators will welcome it given the nature of the industry at the moment with limited resources and buses forever becoming more expensive to run. It would also save SPT an absolute fortune and allow them to work out how to use funding more effectively.
Don't you think that this has already been tried to an extent? The only thing that happens when routes from SPT get cut is then petitions galore to get the route back on etc, whether it be First or another operator, and then SPT panders to protests and re-instates the route usually

I have already given an example where I've seen a post of one of the different social media sites complaining that the 19a was being axed for a 2nd time, even though First had warned the community (Robroyston) that the bus would be withdrawn if it still had low passenger numbers which, yes you guessed it happened. The only reason it was even saved for the 1st time was, guess what? Because of a petition.

Now I did say to the people on that site in a diplomatic manner that they were warned the bus would be withdrawn if it wasn't making its money and that it can't run for just a few people at certain hours of the day, and that you can't expect a firm or company to go into business to lose money. They actually wanted at least a 19 an hour to go via Robroyston so they had a service into town; again I mentioned it's exactly what they had but obviously weren't using it enough. It was no surprise that my reply basically made them clam up somewhat.

It wouldn't surprise me if SPT were to cull ALL the tendered services and that very few people would notice apart from those who know about them and use them to get out and about at night for shift work etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

callumg

Apologies if someone has already asked this. But what appears to be happening with the 398 service?

Stan Drews

Established Member
Apologies if someone has already asked this. But what appears to be happening with the 398 service?
It isn’t a SPT tender, but a Scotrail one, which is changing hands next month. West Coast Motors > First Glasgow

callumg

It isn’t a SPT tender, but a Scotrail one, which is changing hands next month. West Coast Motors > First Glasgow
Ah, that would make sense as to why I couldn't find it then. Does that mean some first vehicles may become 398 branded then?