• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

Fifescottish

And so it goes on...

"Service 7 between leven and dunfermline are experiencing delays of upto 20minutes due to passenger loadings and traffic. apologies"

What were the service changes that you refer to back in 2002?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
There's the X27 for anyone making a direct journey from Dunfermline to Leven. Nobody is going to travel all that way on the 7.

I'm not suggesting that the diversion in Rosyth will make the service more reliable, but then the route has had various diversions in Dalgetty Bay/ Burntisland/ Kinghorn/ Kirkcaldy etc over the years - it's always been a balance between the "local" and the "longer distance".

With the cuts on the X27, im not so sure about that. The problems tend to be around Aberdour and burtisland, which can get hammered while having to deal with congestion. Camdean has alot of rude car drivers parking cars badly.

I think that Stagecoach have made a decent fist of trying to provide the new bits of Dunfermline with a decent bus service towards Inverkeithing/ Ferrytoll etc - but it's not worked.

The fact that only a council tendered service provides that link suggests it's not as big a market as we'd like. But that's the problem with what looks like "commuter" territory - a half hourly service from Dulloch Park (etc) to Ferrytoll (etc) isn't going to be busy during the daytime when much of that population spends office hours on the other side of the Forth.

Good luck to Bay Travel or anyone else if they can find a gap in the market for a commercial service but I think a lot of people will just drive to Halbeath/ Ferrytoll and board a frequent service to Edinburgh from there. Wish it weren't the case, but at least Stagecoach have tried to find a market for a commercial service.

Stagecoach still operates a service between Dunfermline Duloch and the Ferrytoll just at peak time, you can get a bus at 5.45am, the problem being and this has been highlighted by a number of others is there cut the peak time service right back. Old No1/2 will only be a busy if you can know for sure when the connection will appear.... of late its been pure pot luck. Your right there really isnt a daytime demand, for the Ferrytoll, yet the Odean getting good trade right now.

At halbeath is just the same No2 and No3 needed to at least connect with something or whats the point taken the bus up just to wait 20-30mins...

Of course the service went past Scottish water head office and sky, but due to other cuts and changes seems to have reduced demand for its service to these locations.
And so it goes on...

"Service 7 between leven and dunfermline are experiencing delays of upto 20minutes due to passenger loadings and traffic. apologies"

What were the service changes that you refer to back in 2002?

It was the changes in West Fife and North East fife. Some of the ideas were completely backwards. No95 only went from St Andrews - Eile. X26 cover Leven Via everywhere and St Andrews, this lasted till November...

In Dunfermline town service lasted 6 weeks before being revised, and by January were overhauled again...... If you like I can tell what those ideas were. In Jan 2003 Im sure thats when the L1- L5 ideas were scrapped and the old 48/49 was brought back.

Last edited:

Fifescottish

Was 2002 when they did away with most eveninv services and areas of Dunfermline had no service after 6pm?

Everything running late/ not turning up tonight and I noticed on the facebook page people are posting Martin Griffiths' email and direct dial number!

overthewater

Established Member
Was 2002 when they did away with most eveninv services and areas of Dunfermline had no service after 6pm?

Everything running late/ not turning up tonight and I noticed on the facebook page people are posting Martin Griffiths' email and direct dial number!

Yes that when half the town evening service was dropped, strangely there were evening service which operated on top of each other...

D8: James st - Garvock hill - Garvock bank - Woodmill - Blacklaw rd - Abbeyview - Odean....

Draft people, the Chief Executive cant do much for them........

I will say there were alot more dups running about today.., but clearly there would rather waste their time running dups around lunchtime instead of tea time.... Bunch of clueless prat... I had thought oh there some hiddent cuts but surly there just run lots of extra dups for the festive at peak times :roll:

Jamester

Looks like 8 E400 are transferring to East Scotland 19150-19157. Two of them are currently at Aberhill for repaint.

overthewater

Established Member
It seems Rennies are moving to Cowdenbeath depot by late October? Former Wellwood site which had a 99 year lease on it has been sold to the housing company, who have big plans for the area right next to the depot.... I dare say stagecoach might have made a pretty penny by doing so.

Stan Drews

Established Member
It seems Rennies are moving to Cowdenbeath depot by late October? Former Wellwood site which had a 99 year lease on it has been sold to the housing company, who have big plans for the area right next to the depot.... I dare say stagecoach might have made a pretty penny by doing so.

I doubt they'll have made a huge profit from any sale of the Wellwood site. It has been earmarked as part of the Northern/Western expansion of Dunfermline for a number of years.
I think it was always anticipated that Rennies would ultimately move to the Cowdenbeath site, which clearly has many benefits - not least the fact the yard doesn't become full of huge puddles every time it rains heavily!

Jamester

It has been rumoured for months that Rennies would move to Cowdenbeath. I see Rennies are working some journeys on the X19.

overthewater

Established Member
It wasnt a given since there would be wanting a decent price.

Rennies also operates 173, afternoon peak on the X51, but alas no longer operates the afternoon peak on the X24, since that get chopped.

Stan Drews

Established Member
It has been rumoured for months that Rennies would move to Cowdenbeath. I see Rennies are working some journeys on the X19.

If you mean the 19X between Dunfermline and Amazon, then they have been involved with that, ever since it started.

They used to operate the majority of journeys on the X51 to Livingston, but as the branded coaches have been transferred to the main Dunfermline depot, I assume their involvement, if any, is now much reduced.

overthewater

Established Member
If you mean the 19X between Dunfermline and Amazon, then they have been involved with that, ever since it started.

They used to operate the majority of journeys on the X51 to Livingston, but as the branded coaches have been transferred to the main Dunfermline depot, I assume their involvement, if any, is now much reduced.

He does mean the new peak X19 from Dockyard to D/line Bus station.

With the X51, apart from the one Afternoon peak all other runs are done by Dunfermline depot. Also Glenrothes now has nothing to do with the route what so ever.

Fifescottish

One of the X51 coaches was in use on the X55 yesterday. Always handy when route branded coaches are on the wrong route!

overthewater

Established Member
At least is wasnt No19 branded E200MMC :D Mind you the kingdom FM coaches seems to love the X51.

overthewater

Established Member
Noticed today in Edinburgh all the X55 seemed to be coaches. Looks like the Scanias are off?

Not yet one is one the X51. The coaches are not helping since there taking for to long to get Wheelchair users on and off. Also other passengers are not happy about the change of buses either.

Fifescottish

Ah well nearly..

Noticed 2 X55 heading South together this afternoon and 2 number 7 heading towards Dunfermline. Things arent getting much better!

Fifescottish

You have to ask why they suddenly think the coaches are acceptable on the X55 on all runs. The whole selling point was the low floor without the lift. Did they not specifically choose the Scanias for that reason.

overthewater

Established Member
You have to ask why they suddenly think the coaches are acceptable on the X55 on all runs. The whole selling point was the low floor without the lift. Did they not specifically choose the Scanias for that reason.

No there were big enough to replace the PS. For years the 55 never had coaches, even the old X57 * before it was renumbered to X54, always had bus on the 17.00 and 17.45 runs. People know what there are getting.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
###

I think the real reason is there have some Hyacinth Bucket problem with the certain people; instead of doing the actually job; bums on seats, which should come first, everything must look good. Look if you having to turn away passengers away because you dont want to run buses or double deckers then there a problem.

The trouble started during the commonwealth games, and refusal to run deckers, ( only Glenrothes did so) . There were certain runs which could have had high back seat E400 and the buses would have still turned passengers away but that still better.

There trying to look good on the cheap: There reused to repaint the Coaches which come down from Aberdeen last year , and there badly needed it. These said coaches are now being repainted for the X24 Airport runs. You have to ask why are there replacing newer stock with older stock on the busiest express route bar X59.

While the B7 which are being used on the X55 are tatty, the floors need some TLC badly, compared to the Scanias which are in pretty good nick.

19X amazon afternoon peak bus is now operated by E200mmc off the no19s.

I dare say I have put my foot in somewhere.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
The B7 (53288) that was on the X24 this morning at 4.50am from Cumbernauld to Glasgow apart from the leather seats had certainly seen better days interior wise...

Fifescottish

Report in todays Sunday Post about bus companies cutting routes and profits. Fife Scottish made a profit of 10.1 million last year on a turnover of 80.9 million. This is up from 8.7 million in 2013 /14.

Also mention that of the 19 millon paid out to bus companies in subsidies in the last 5 years, 15.5 million has gone to Stagecoach.

The B7s are scruffy. Still got X58 route branding on them and the one I was on had most of the switches for the air con so it was permanently on. Surely these need replaced for a route like the X55.

overthewater

Established Member
Report in todays Sunday Post about bus companies cutting routes and profits. Fife Scottish made a profit of 10.1 million last year on a turnover of 80.9 million. This is up from 8.7 million in 2013 /14.

Thats nothing new and that what is needed, Are SP draft? This years accounts are NOT out, so how do we know what the real trouble is? It may have made that but if what been said it correct profit could will have taken a tumble...... Newspapers really should look better at there infor....

The B7s are scruffy. Still got X58 route branding on them and the one I was on had most of the switches for the air con so it was permanently on. Surely these need replaced for a route like the X55.

B7 are just awful and have I cant see any money being spent on them now.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Thats nothing new and that what is needed, Are SP draft? This years accounts are NOT out, so how do we know what the real trouble is? It may have made that but if what been said it correct profit could will have taken a tumble...... Newspapers really should look better at there infor....

B7 are just awful and have I cant see any money being spent on them now.

The figures quoted by the SP were for 14/15, not the most recent financial year that ended in April.

overthewater

Established Member
The figures quoted by the SP were for 14/15, not the most recent financial year that ended in April.

Thats for making that clear. Sunday post really should have know better than to use accounts which are now nearly 18months old.

I think we're all got a bit of a shock when this year or April 15-16 accounts appear shortly.
###

The coaches on the X24 are just shabby. Today I saw at least two with broken rubber seals just hanging off the doors, which also badly need repaints. I dread to say it but there become as bad as FSE in some parts.

Fifescottish

Saw recently transferred Enviro 19157 today in Dunfermline on service 6. Looked to have been repainted.
Enviro 19151 on the 3 in Dunfermline today. Presumably 19150-19157 are all allocated to Dunfermline and the 53 plates are moving elsewhere.

Jamester

Saw recently transferred Enviro 19157 today in Dunfermline on service 6. Looked to have been repainted.
Enviro 19151 on the 3 in Dunfermline today. Presumably 19150-19157 are all allocated to Dunfermline and the 53 plates are moving elsewhere.

I saw 19150 on the 7 on Monday night.

I've also heard the 7 timetable is being amended to improve reliability by adding 9 minutes running time to daytime journeys.

overthewater

Established Member
How about instead of given the No7 more buses there use the extra one to operate to Camdean and put the 7 back the way it was?

Fifescottish

The whole thing is a shambles and the staff involved in this shake up should be removed. Nothing is on time, you cant get anywhere. Put it all back to how it used to be! They might be saving money but passenger satisfaction is nil......

overthewater

Established Member
The whole thing is a shambles and the staff involved in this shake up should be removed. Nothing is on time, you cant get anywhere. Put it all back to how it used to be! They might be saving money but passenger satisfaction is nil......

Rot started back in 2014..... and its well know who the people are to blame, you dont take a service with three buses, which covered everything, then add in an extra one, retime everything split part of the route to another route, then come back crying there not enough passengers, then cut the buses back down...

Then there admit ohh the decline in town centres are not helping, The town centres have been heading downwards for years, a blind man could have told that.

Last edited:

Fifescottish

Is there any way back from this though. Even Ferrytoll seems quieter although this could be the roadworks hitting passenger numbers.

They hopefully have plans to fix it all.....