• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North Scotland (Bluebird and Highland)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Effectively that means scrap, I am guessing that they have a fair bit of compatibility with standard E300s? and so could be 'parted-out' to provide spares.
There isn't much compatibility with a standard E300 at all minus the usual stuff such as cab parts and the front/rear fibreglass parts etc. The Enviro350H is a completely different chassis and the interior is also completely different. The flat floor design also means it's impossible to convert them to diesel as there would be nowhere for the drivetrain to go.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
Interesting Bluebird and Highland got a 12% rise. The rest of Scotland got 15%.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
My day ticket price is up by £1, which is 15%. That's on top of the previous £1 increase the last time fares went up.

Red Onion

My day ticket has gone from £7.40 to £8.60 which is 16.2%.

I am guessing this is a result of the withdrawal of Holyrood bus funding.

If the grasshopper page is up to date then it looks like I’m cheaper buying one of those now!

APT618S

My day ticket has gone from £7.40 to £8.60 which is 16.2%.

I am guessing this is a result of the withdrawal of Holyrood bus funding.

If the grasshopper page is up to date then it looks like I’m cheaper buying one of those now!
The Grasshopper page is up to date with the price increase/zone changes of Oct-2022.
I have purchased a zone A for £5.20 within the last couple of weeks.
I assume it is the zone B that will be cheaper for you.

Red Onion

The Grasshopper page is up to date with the price increase/zone changes of Oct-2022.
I have purchased a zone A for £5.20 within the last couple of weeks.
I assume it is the zone B that will be cheaper for you.

I was wondering as it hasn’t been well updated in the past. But yes, at £8 it is cheaper than the Stagecoach day ticket and gives me the use of First in town, a no brained now.

APT618S

I was wondering as it hasn’t been well updated in the past. But yes, at £8 it is cheaper than the Stagecoach day ticket and gives me the use of First in town, a no brained now.
Yes you are right, IIRC it still showed the old numbered zones in Jan this year, rather than the new and simplified letter zones as I was still asking for zone 1 rather than zone A.
I only discovered the change on the First Bus website:

Red Onion

I thought it still showed the old numbered zones! Plus it was terribly unusable on an iPad. But it seems much better now. Might make use of this cheaper pass and grab a day out

PG

Established Member
Forgot about the Grasshopper, thanks. Still not entirely up to date - the official site only names First and Stagecoach then all other operators, without naming them. The page on the first site has MW Nicoll as one of the other operators and they haven't been in business for at least a year!

Red Onion

Forgot about the Grasshopper, thanks. Still not entirely up to date - the official site only names First and Stagecoach then all other operators, without naming them. The page on the first site has MW Nicoll as one of the other operators and they haven't been in business for at least a year!

Still needs some work then!

I do note that Stagecoach no longer show Grasshopper tickets on their website.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
And the previous website had a list of operators many of which don't operate services!

At present the Grasshopper is valid on all services including those run by independents (Bain's, RS Sauchen, Deveron, Watermill & Central). Although i've on a number of occasions found that with the independents you usually have to explain to the driver what the ticket is... Not helped by the fact that the tickets issued by First don't say Grasshopper on them and instead just say "GH Day".

Volvodart

Established Member
Grasshopper's answer to the Stagecoach Bluebird price rises:-

https://www.grasshopperpass.com/#pricing_update

Prices will increase on Sunday 2nd April 2023 as shown below:
zoneA.jpg

ZONE A​

Adult Day – £5.20 to £5.60
Adult Week – £24.00 to £25.80
Student Day – £4.50 to £4.80
Student Week – £19.50 to £21.10
zoneB.jpg

ZONE B​

Adult Day – £8.00 to £9.60
Adult Week – £26.80 to £32.00
Student Day – £6.50 to £7.50
Student Week – £22.00 to £24.00
zoneC.jpg

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That zone B rise is absolutely astronomical
I fairness Zone B is just going back to the price the equivalent former Zone 3 was prior to the changes last last year. The main increases are to Zones A and Zones C which have gone from £4.75 to £5.60 and £17.20 to £18.50 respectively since 2021.

kkong

I fairness Zone B is just going back to the price the equivalent former Zone 3 was prior to the changes last last year. The main increases are to Zones A and Zones C which have gone from £4.75 to £5.60 and £17.20 to £18.50 respectively since 2021.

A hefty 20% price increase for those using Grasshopper between city and Westhill/Elrick, which was previously in Zone 2.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Stagecoach have confirmed they intend to continue operating the Lochside Academy Services 21A, 22A & 22B on a commercial basis following Aberdeen City Council axing funding.

Stagecoach steps in to save Lochside Academy buses following council cuts

Three threatened bus services providing safe travel for Aberdeen pupils to school have been saved after Stagecoach announced they would be run on a commercial basis.

Funding for the 21A, 22A and 22B was withdrawn by Aberdeen City Council’s during the controversial budget cuts – meaning the supported Lochside Academy school buses from Cove and Torry would no longer be provided.

Parents slammed the move, claiming some pupils could face a 55-minute walk to school.

Many were left “unable to sleep” with worry about their children’s safety, meanwhile, some pupils were even refusing to go to school because they didn’t feel safe walking.

But now, Stagecoach Bluebird has announced it will continue to run the “valuable” services on a commercial basis from April 17.

This means there will be no interruption to services and all three routes will continue running. All pupils will be able to use them free of charge using their under 22 bus passes.

‘We need the support of the local community’
However, the operator says costly damage is being carried out to the vehicles by a small number of pupils, and they are putting other passengers and staff at risk.

Stagecoach Bluebird commercial director Daniel Laird warned the services might not remain in the long term if the recent spate of vandalism and anti-social behaviour continues.

He said: “We recognise the value of these school bus services to the local community, as well as the negative impact that would be experienced if they were to be withdrawn.

“We are pleased that we have been able to find a way to continue operating the services, but we need the support of the local community in order to make sure they are sustainable in the long term.

“In particular, we would ask parents to ensure their young people have their Under 22 bus pass and are informed of the importance of safe behaviour when travelling on the bus.”

PG

Established Member
Stagecoach have confirmed they intend to continue operating the Lochside Academy Services 21A, 22A & 22B on a commercial basis following Aberdeen City Council axing funding.

Ignoring what's in the press release - does this indicate that the council have successfully called the operators bluff?

fraser158

Doesn’t seem to be enough for Highland to get the drivers it needs.

Funnily enough, there were no such cancellations on Good Friday and I imagine there won’t be any on Easter Monday… Sorry to be cynical.

Just to be clear, this isn’t a slight on the drivers.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
What is being used on the x99 or whatever the number is between Inverness threso and wick these days? I remember the route got new plaxton panthers in 2011 but as I'm guessing they are probably showing their age by now I just wondered if anything more up to date had replaced them or if indeed things have gone backwards?

Ricky Kane

What is being used on the x99 or whatever the number is between Inverness threso and wick these days? I remember the route got new plaxton panthers in 2011 but as I'm guessing they are probably showing their age by now I just wondered if anything more up to date had replaced them or if indeed things have gone backwards?
All the 2011 Panthers were sold or Scrapped apart from one 53628 CSU920 . They now mainly use Volvo B13RT Plaxton Panther 2 54131 X99HSO & 54134 X99HCB Sometimes YX63NGO/NGG are used.

Last edited:

Ricky Kane

53641/43 are still in use at Peterhead with 53645 at Elgin. Although they're unlikely to be around much longer.
Sorry I was referring to the Highland ones. I think there are more down south - most of our ones were SV11 plates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricky Kane

This is from when it went down the embankment it was on the X99 at the time Luckily there were no passengers on at the time.
Photo Source Myself.

Attachments

• received_10207625085081796.jpeg
    received_10207625085081796.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 72
  • received_10207625084401779.jpeg
    received_10207625084401779.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 2023-04-08_11-24-34.jpg
    2023-04-08_11-24-34.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 71
Goodness given they were 2011 they must have been in some state to warrant scrapping some of them. Mind they will have been work hard
Why was that one particular vehicle cursed?
53621 had over 5 ditching's; that why it was called Cursed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I always found sections of the x99 a bit hair raising, less for the roads it were traveling which were certainly a challenge but more for the fact that I always found the timings a bit ambitious and must have been extremely hard for the drivers in many cases. Can't say I'm surprised that quite a few of the vehicles went for razor blades

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yea I believe 4 were Scrapped including the " Cursed " Bus 53621 SV11FFR.
If i'm not mistaken 53623 is at Moffat, although i'm not sure if it's actually seen any use as it's still in Citylink livery iirc.
Goodness given they were 2011 they must have been in some state to warrant scrapping some of them. Mind they will have been work hard
Why was that one particular vehicle cursed?
12 years isn't young for a coach, and those Panthers were and are pretty knackered.