• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stamford to Peterborough Timetable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
10 years ago I used to live in Stamford and get the train to London via Peterborough. Back then I remember the service from Stamford was hourly.
The other day whilst browsing I happened to look again at the timetable. Now it seems the service has got worse with some gaps being 2 hours.
Question is, has the service got worse (if so why?) or is my memory of the timetable a decade ago a little confused?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Djgr

Established Member
10 years ago I used to live in Stamford and get the train to London via Peterborough. Back then I remember the service from Stamford was hourly.
The other day whilst browsing I happened to look again at the timetable. Now it seems the service has got worse with some gaps being 2 hours.
Question is, has the service got worse (if so why?) or is my memory of the timetable a decade ago a little confused?
I think it is just the "temporary" Covid timetable that has reduced services.

sharpley

Its been a mostly 2-hourly service since lockdown 1.0 last March. Most services terminate at Cambridge now as well, rather than Stansted. Before that it was an hourly service as you say. They are using 2x2car 170s on a lot of the services now though (used to be either a 2 or 3 car 170)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Trains between Stamford and Peterborough (PBO) are part of CrossCountry's service from Birmingham New Street (BHM) to Stansted Airport (SSD). Pre-Covid this was hourly throughout the day, but since March 2020 this line has seen a considerably reduced service.

The current timetable is a mixed bag - there's a minimum two-hourly BHM-Cambridge (CBG) service, increased to hourly at certain times of day. There are also two CBG-PBO returns, two CBG-SSD/SSD-CBG start and end of service positioning moves, and one "extension" during the daytime.

Last edited:

DannyMich2018

Leicester-Peterborough is hourly some hours especially in the morning and the evening. Time will tell when we get back to hourly on this route and have 2 trains an hour Birmingham-Leicester (one terminating Leicester calling at local stations and other going through to Stansted Apt) A small amount of service still go to Stansted, again mainly morning and late evening services, presumably to maintain train crew competence or serve airport staff?
A bonus is my local station Hinckley still retains are hourly service (along with Narborough but South Wigston still has two hourly service between the peaks) and gains direct trains to beyond Leicester for the first time in many years (apart from a very small number of weekday only peak hours trains which called pre Covid) :)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Leicester-Peterborough is hourly some hours especially in the morning and the evening. Time will tell when we get back to hourly on this route and have 2 trains an hour Birmingham-Leicester (one terminating Leicester calling at local stations and other going through to Stansted Apt) A small amount of service still go to Stansted, again mainly morning and late evening services, presumably to maintain train crew competence or serve airport staff?

The remaining Stansted services are essentially marginal time extensions that don't cost extra rolling stock. Instead of arriving Cambridge at the end of the day and going straight to the depot, they just carry on to Stansted and then return to Cambridge then the depot.

TheBigD

Established Member
Just to add to the points made by others...

The regular timetable is virtually unaltered since 2008, the current 2 hourly service reflects the covid timetable reductions.

The few remaining service extended through to Stansted airport for crew knowledge purposes. Early morning/late evening for the Cambridge crews, and the 0622/1222 ex Birmingham and 1127/1727 ex Stansted for the Birmingham crews.

Assuming it reverts to the base timetable it was planned after the centre cars were added to the 170/5s then all SX services on the route would be a minimum of 3 cars with the exception of the 0827/1827 ex Stansted, 1152/1422/1609/2022 ex Birmingham, and 1318 ex Leicester.

westv

Established Member
It's a pity there are no future plans to improve the normal hourly service.

cle

Established Member
There has been talk over the years of doubling the service in some shape or form, probably extending the other Leicester service to Peterborough or Cambridge.

Even post-Werrington, Ely would make this very hard to get to Cambridge. It would probably require a swap or merger of some sort.

TheBigD

Established Member

Last proposal was for Dec 2008.

It would have seen the 0652, 0852, 1052, 1352 & 1852 Birmingham-Leicester services extended through to Cambridge, with the 0818, 1018, 1218, 1418, 1618 & 1818 Leicester-Birmingham services start from Cambridge.

With the 2008 financial crash it never went ahead.

With the increase in container trains to/from Felixstowe I doubt that the paths would be available theses days.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Last proposal was for Dec 2008.

It would have seen the 0652, 0852, 1052, 1352 & 1852 Birmingham-Leicester services extended through to Cambridge, with the 0818, 1018, 1218, 1418, 1618 & 1818 Leicester-Birmingham services start from Cambridge.

With the 2008 financial crash it never went ahead.

With the increase in container trains to/from Felixstowe I doubt that the paths would be available theses days.

In the consultation XC ran for their 2019(?) timetable they proposed a single additional working each way - 0617 Cambridge to New Street (Leicester service starting back) and the 1752 New Street-Leicester extended to Cambridge.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Unfortunately thats down to Network Rail and Level Crossing Risk Assessments

And capacity on the line from Peterborough to Ely, and Ely itself, and Cambridge, and Stansted Tunnel. But apart from that, you’re correct.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
and Stansted Tunnel
I'm not sure that an increased service would necessarily see all services running through to Stansted. Half-hourly Birmingham to Peterborough would probably be more appropriate, giving improved 'strategic east-west links' for whatever that's worth.

You might even be able to run on to Ely/Cambridge in the opposite hour to the GA Peterborough paths (assuming those spaces aren't taken by freights, I haven't checked).

Last edited:

cle

Established Member
I wonder if some portion working could one day happen at Ely, or if sending the Norwich-Derby 'over the top' would help - even though it gives Ely different destinations, the Leicester service is a duplicate.

Still, getting to Peterborough, and giving 2tph to Stamford, Oakham and Melton Mowbray (nearly 1m users between them on an hourly service, likely underserved), would be useful.

Class 170101

Established Member
And capacity on the line from Peterborough to Ely, and Ely itself, and Cambridge, and Stansted Tunnel. But apart from that, you’re correct.
I wouldn't worry about Stansted - not proposing to go there, definitely no room at the inn.

I would certainly like to see how tight it actually is across the Peterborough to Cambridge section though.

But perhaps a start might be a 05:15 from Leicester to Cambridge / Stansted and a 22:00 Cambridge to Leicester (may start earlier from Stansted).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I wouldn't worry about Stansted - not proposing to go there, definitely no room at the inn.

I would certainly like to see how tight it actually is across the Peterborough to Cambridge section though.

But perhaps a start might be a 05:15 from Leicester to Cambridge / Stansted and a 22:00 Cambridge to Leicester (may start earlier from Stansted).

Very tight, as anyone who has done a shift in Whittlesea ‘box in the last decade will testify!

westv

Established Member
Its been a mostly 2-hourly service since lockdown 1.0 last March. Most services terminate at Cambridge now as well, rather than Stansted. Before that it was an hourly service as you say. They are using 2x2car 170s on a lot of the services now though (used to be either a 2 or 3 car 170)
One of my memories from a decade ago was that it wasn't unusual to be barely able to board the 17:xx at Peterborough when I was commuting back from work in London

DannyMich2018

One of my memories from a decade ago was that it wasn't unusual to be barely able to board the 17:xx at Peterborough when I was commuting back from work in London
Generally 2-car 170s struggled much of the time weekends too. On Saturdays the 09.52 from Leicester to Birmingham (ex Stansted) was often a 2-car 170 and not unknown (pre Covid of course!) to have 50 plus standing from Leicester. 2-car 170s can struggle at the weekend on the whole route-November and December can be crazy busy with the various markets etc. Is Stamford served by any Liverpool-Norwich services? I know a small number do go this way (or used to) instead of via Grantham but they may go non stop between Loughborough and Peterborough?

LowLevel

Established Member
Generally 2-car 170s struggled much of the time weekends too. On Saturdays the 09.52 from Leicester to Birmingham (ex Stansted) was often a 2-car 170 and not unknown (pre Covid of course!) to have 50 plus standing from Leicester. 2-car 170s can struggle at the weekend on the whole route-November and December can be crazy busy with the various markets etc. Is Stamford served by any Liverpool-Norwich services? I know a small number do go this way (or used to) instead of via Grantham but they may go non stop between Loughborough and Peterborough?

Stamford has two east bound services to Norwich in the morning Monday to Saturday early on and evening westbound service to Nottingham Monday to Friday (originating in Spalding).

Steve Harris

IMO that's not surprising.

Back in loco hauled days (the 80's) the services between Stamford-Peterborough was a Class 31/4 hauling 4 coaches, 3×MkII TSO and 1×MkII BSO (or was it a BFK) if I remember correctly.

Therefore, surely a 2 Car Class 170 is actually a reduction in capacity compared to loco hauled days ?

Note :

TSO= Tourist Second Open
BSO= Brake Second Open
BFK= Brake First Corridor

TheBigD

Established Member
IMO that's not surprising.

Back in loco hauled days (the 80's) the services between Stamford-Peterborough was a Class 31/4 hauling 4 coaches, 3×MkII TSO and 1×MkII BSO (or was it a BFK) if I remember correctly.

Therefore, surely a 2 Car Class 170 is actually a reduction in capacity compared to loco hauled days ?

Note :

TSO= Tourist Second Open
BSO= Brake Second Open
BFK= Brake First Corridor

The formation you mentioned was the standard one for the South Transpenine Liverpool-Sheffeilds.

In the early/mid 1980s the standard formation for the Anglia-Birmingham/Northwest was either...

(Crown Point sets) MK2s 4 x TSO, 1 x BSO seating 287
(Oxley sets) MK2s 5 x declassified FO /FK, 1 x BG seating 210.
Other vehicles often crept in to the formations and summer Saturdays saw sets extended to either 9 or 12 coaches. The vice Sprinter rake on the Sheffield-Ipswich was usually Mk1s, 3 x SK + BSK.

For comparison a 2 car XC 170 seats 122, a 3 car 192(*).

It's not a direct comparison as the service is (was?) hourly compared to the mix of hourly/2 hourly in the loco hauled days.

(*) I think that the extra centre cars that are currently being added to 170518-23 have 2 less seats but happy to be corrected.

Very tight, as anyone who has done a shift in Whittlesea ‘box in the last decade will testify!

There's a few gaps in the timetable but if you fill them then you can forget about line blockages for the patrolling or getting the Anglian Water tankers across Harts Drove crossing amongst other issues.

@ Bald Rick. You always know when you've done a day shift at Whittlesea!
PRE covid, around 60 trains on earlies and 70 on lates. May not sound much but some of the semaphores at Whittlesea are crap pulls!

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You always know when you've done a day shift at Whittlesea!
PRE covid, around 60 trains on earlies and 70 on lates. May not sound much but some of the semaphores at Whittlesea are crap pulls!

Yep, and could be busier than that on some days - eg when there was a lot coming out of Whitemoor Friday lates.

For those that haven’t done a shift at Whittlesea (and I think that will be a majority of our readers), the box is Absolute Block both ways, and has a slot from the gatebox at the station. With an average of up to 5 trains an hour each way, and often more than that in busy hours, there is a never ending job of bell tapping, block indicator switching, lever pulling, train register-entering, TRUST entering, and that’s before dealing with any line blocks, calls from control etc. You need to be able to eat quickly and have a strong bladder. It is, I imagine, how busy boxes used to be 100 years ago, but without the box boy to help.

dk1

Veteran Member
When the original Express timetable with sprinters launched in 1988 the hourly Peterborough-Birmingham timetable alternated in originating from Norwich & Ipswich/Cambridge. Many Norwich trains every other hour ran fast to Leicester. This however was altered by 1990 with all services stopping at Stamford, Oakham & Melton Mowbray.

Veteran Member
It's not a direct comparison as the service is (was?) hourly compared to the mix of hourly/2 hourly in the loco hauled days.
The 1981 timetable gives 5 Birmingham-Norwich trains daily, plus one to Cambridge (still a DMU IIRC), so barely 2 hourly.

dk1

Veteran Member
The 1981 timetable gives 5 Birmingham-Norwich trains daily, plus one to Cambridge (still a DMU IIRC), so barely 2 hourly.
It used to be rubbish compared to normal times these days. People are quick to forget how dreadful things where. For example 7 in 1968 with some only shuttling on part of the route. Gaps of well over three hours where commonplace.

Steve Harris

The formation you mentioned was the standard one for the South Transpenine Liverpool-Sheffeilds.

In the early/mid 1980s the standard formation for the Anglia-Birmingham/Northwest was either...

(Crown Point sets) MK2s 4 x TSO, 1 x BSO seating 287
(Oxley sets) MK2s 5 x declassified FO /FK, 1 x BG seating 210.
Other vehicles often crept in to the formations and summer Saturdays saw sets extended to either 9 or 12 coaches. The vice Sprinter rake on the Sheffield-Ipswich was usually Mk1s, 3 x SK + BSK.

For comparison a 2 car XC 170 seats 122, a 3 car 192(*).

(*) I think that the extra centre cars that are currently being added to 170518-23 have 2 less seats but happy to be corrected.

There's a few gaps in the timetable but if you fill them then you can forget about line blockages for the patrolling or getting the Anglian Water tankers across Harts Drove crossing amongst other issues.

@ Bald Rick. You always know when you've done a day shift at Whittlesea!
On the route in question in the early to mid 80's the stock primarily used was either Norwich or Cambridge sets.

But working on your Oxley figure and the difference of frequency (2 hourly v hourly & 210 v 192) there has been a 83% increase in capacity (if my schoolboy maths are correct).

I wonder how much passenger numbers have increased between those 2 points ?

And I don't think my school boy maths would be up to that (to many variables, as it's not as simple at just looking at Stamford and Peterborough station usages).
Yep, and could be busier than that on some days - eg when there was a lot coming out of Whitemoor Friday lates.

For those that haven’t done a shift at Whittlesea (and I think that will be a majority of our readers), the box is Absolute Block both ways, and has a slot from the gatebox at the station. With an average of up to 5 trains an hour each way, and often more than that in busy hours, there is a never ending job of bell tapping, block indicator switching, lever pulling, train register-entering, TRUST entering, and that’s before dealing with any line blocks, calls from control etc. You need to be able to eat quickly and have a strong bladder. It is, I imagine, how busy boxes used to be 100 years ago, but without the box boy to help.
I can imagine how busy it is with all the freightliners etc.
I presume Kings Dyke and Three Horsehoes are just as busy ?

Was that a Sunday ? As I started spotting around that time and a Class 120 used to make it to Cambridge on a late Saturday night/ Sunday turn.

Circa 1984/5 Cambridge - Birmingham's were Class 31/4's (with a 4 hours frequency?) with Class 101 or 105 DMUs smattered between the loco hauled services between Cambridge - Peterborough, therefore creating roughly a 2 hourly service between Cambridge - Peterborough.

All I can remember is going for day trips spotting at Peterbough and nearly every hour there was a Loco hauled or DMU service to March. The Loco hauled trains going to Ipswich, Norwich or Cambridge.

It used to be rubbish compared to normal times these days. People are quick to forget how dreadful things where. For example 7 in 1968 with some only shuttling on part of the route. Gaps of well over three hours where commonplace.
1968 ?? Your going back half a century !! (No wonder it was rubbish).

I wasn't even born then. Although my dad got "lucky" that year. lol

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I can imagine how busy it is with all the freightliners etc.
I presume Kings Dyke and Three Horsehoes are just as busy ?

Busy in terms of traffic, but not in terms of work for the signaller, as they have TCB one way each.

Status
Not open for further replies.