• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starting salary for Avanti drivers ?

Vespa

Established Member
Hi guys,

Just a quick question what's the starting salary for new drivers on Avanti trains and are they incremental scales depending on skill levels ?

What sort of shift rota and holidays Do you get ? Do they increase after a few years service ?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sorcerer

Far as I know, the trainee salary is £39k, rising to £53k, then £62k, and finally £67k (all not including overtime) after two years of being fully qualified. The shifts meanwhile are 5 days a week (not including Sundays so it could end up being 6) for four weeks with a fifth week of rest days. I think Scottish depots only run on a 4-day week though. However, I could be wrong, but I've seen this information on the forums before.

mph9937

I’m regards to the salary for Avanti drivers, once qualified and on fully salary of £68k I’m curious on how this will increase if a pay deal is ever agreed.

So for the sake of this thread can we just play devils advocate for a bit as well as rounding the figures up.

If Aslef take the so called offer of 4% backdated 1 year and then 4% this year does that mean ….

£68k + 4% = £70,720

So all current staff will get £2,720 back pay

Does that then mean the 4% for this year will be on top of the current £68k or on the new figure of £70,720 making a further £73,548 salary.

If anyone else can come up with any other figures on what a fully qualified Avanti driver could be on eventually after any pay deal is agreed that would be great. I know it’s a guesstimate but I’m more interested in the workings out of backpay and current pay regardless of the percentage of the pay offer.

Thanks!

kmck96

I’m regards to the salary for Avanti drivers, once qualified and on fully salary of £68k I’m curious on how this will increase if a pay deal is ever agreed.

So for the sake of this thread can we just play devils advocate for a bit as well as rounding the figures up.

If Aslef take the so called offer of 4% backdated 1 year and then 4% this year does that mean ….

£68k + 4% = £70,720

Does that then mean the 4% for this year will be on top of the current £68k or on the new figure of £70,720 making a further £73,548 salary.

If anyone else can come up with any other figures on what a fully qualified Avanti driver could be on eventually after any pay deal is agreed that would be great. I know it’s a guesstimate but I’m more interested in the workings out of backpay and current pay regardless of the percentage of the pay offer.

Thanks!
Would also be interested in knowing this. Might even be worth you starting a new thread for this

baz962

Established Member
Would also be interested in knowing this. Might even be worth you starting a new thread for this
I'm not Avanti , but it should be 4% plus 4% rather than 8% . However the difference is around 100 a month more for 4+4.

kmck96

I'm not Avanti , but it should be 4% plus 4% rather than 8% . However the difference is around 100 a month more for 4+4.
A suspect you mean per yer but you’re right enough, just checked the numbers myself - nothing in it

baz962

Established Member
A suspect you mean per yer but you’re right enough, just checked the numbers myself - nothing in it
Correct. Should be 4% for 2022 and 4% for 2023 although I don't know when Avanti last had a raise

class 9

£68k + 4% = £70,720

Thanks!
Your figures would be correct, the 1st 4% would be for 2022 and the 2nd for 2023.
Although the dispute is far far from being settled, if it was purely a pay offer then it probably would be accepted.
The sticking points are a decimation of T & Cs and a one size fits all offer to all TOCs that have massively varying T&Cs.
The Government seemingly have no intention of settling, back in February the Rail Minister admitted to the transport select Committee that they'd spent more underwriting the dispute as apposed to settling.

pmc88

Im just curious, is Avanti pay much higher than the other TOC’s? To me it seems it is but i don't fully know the qualified pay across the TOC and i wonder how come it is higher if so. Is it poorer work conditions for Avanti??

Sorcerer

Im just curious, is Avanti pay much higher than the other TOC’s? To me it seems it is but i don't fully know the qualified pay across the TOC and i wonder how come it is higher if so. Is it poorer work conditions for Avanti??
Avanti salaries are among the highest in the country, maybe only slightly less than LNER and Eurostar, but as with most high-paying TOCs the terms and conditions were sold of for this lucrative salary. I've not heard the best things about Avanti's working environment, but as a new entrant into the industry I wouldn't be fussy about who I am driving for anyway. A driver's job will still be worth it regardless.

pmc88

Avanti salaries are among the highest in the country, maybe only slightly less than LNER and Eurostar, but as with most high-paying TOCs the terms and conditions were sold of for this lucrative salary. I've not heard the best things about Avanti's working environment, but as a new entrant into the industry I wouldn't be fussy about who I am driving for anyway. A driver's job will still be worth it regardless.
Thanks for the reply, i haven't been on the forums in a long while and forgot the Avanti training pay, so trying to redo my research. I got curious if Avanti made redundancy or (as a trained driver) if I wanted to change TOC it sounds like most others would be a pay drop.

Class2ldn

It may well be but depends what the terms and conditions are like and how the roster works, TL for example are on over 63 k but add you're sundays in you're on 70k anyway and a fixed 4 day week if you don't work the Sunday, long weekend every 3rd week and the same rest days in each 3 week period so you can plan years ahead.
All swings and roundabouts really.

Sorcerer

Thanks for the reply, i haven't been on the forums in a long while and forgot the Avanti training pay, so trying to redo my research. I got curious if Avanti made redundancy or (as a trained driver) if I wanted to change TOC it sounds like most others would be a pay drop.
Avanti have a very generous starting salary of £39k which isn't too far off the salary of drivers in training with other operators. I think from then on it rises to £53k, then £62k, and finally £67k after the third year. However, Avanti also have committed Sundays which is overtime, so you could probably earn circa £70k when fully qualified.

Aviator88

Tbf, 4% + 4% is 8.16%, so there's almost nothing in it. About £10 difference a month comparing + 8% vs. + 4% + 4%.

pmc88

Avanti have a very generous starting salary of £39k which isn't too far off the salary of drivers in training with other operators. I think from then on it rises to £53k, then £62k, and finally £67k after the third year. However, Avanti also have committed Sundays which is overtime, so you could probably earn circa £70k when fully qualified.
Hi, thanks for that been searching around for the info.

Wouldn't happen to know how long it takes to get from the 39k to 53k pay realistically?

My dilemma is as much as i want the role for my own job satisfaction, my wife is unsure we can survive very long on 39k with our bills. Sounds daft i know, just I'm already on high income as an elec engineer and it would be quite a tough pay drop temporarily.

Yfg132

Hi, thanks for that been searching around for the info.

Wouldn't happen to know how long it takes to get from the 39k to 53k pay realistically?

My dilemma is as much as i want the role for my own job satisfaction, my wife is unsure we can survive very long on 39k with our bills. Sounds daft i know, just I'm already on high income as an elec engineer and it would be quite a tough pay drop temporarily.
Tbh mate I'd worry about that IF you get offered a position.

If you do then there's multiple ways of bridging the wage gap for 12months or so. Loan, family loan, remortgage, mortgage holiday or just tighten the purse strings.

Efini92

Established Member
Far as I know, the trainee salary is £39k, rising to £53k, then £62k, and finally £67k (all not including overtime) after two years of being fully qualified. The shifts meanwhile are 5 days a week (not including Sundays so it could end up being 6) for four weeks with a fifth week of rest days. I think Scottish depots only run on a 4-day week though. However, I could be wrong, but I've seen this information on the forums before.
It’s dependent on whether you’re based at Euston or the other depots.
It goes up to £51k after passing out, then £57k once core route and traction are added (Euston skip the 57k and go onto £62k) then after 12 months it goes upto £62k then after another 12 months it goes upto £67k.

pmc88

It’s dependent on whether you’re based at Euston or the other depots.
It goes up to £51k after passing out, then £57k once core route and traction are added (Euston skip the 57k and go onto £62k) then after 12 months it goes upto £62k then after another 12 months it goes upto £67k.
Hi, does passing out mean the class based 16 week training?? Thanks

FManc

For trainee drivers you won’t go up from the £39k band until you pass out - that is once you’ve done your 225 hours AND also signed off your initial core route. I’d say you’re looking around 14-18 months from starting your course to going up the next salary bracket (slightly varies depot by depot as route learning is depot specific).

It follows a different structure if you’re joining as a qualified driver.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Depends on the depot. As stated above, if you work Euston you'll skip to the 62k rate at some point during training. But in any case you should reach full salary within 3 to 5 years.
Short term it might be difficult, but long term you'll be set up with a job for life with good security and a very handsome salary along with a pension. Ultimately the risk is for you and your wife to decide on, but consider both the short and long term implications as well as your own future rather than just the initial pay cut you'll have to deal with.