• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There have been three stations on different sites at Barrow-in-Furness. The original station of 1846 had been a wooden building at Rabbit Hill, near the site of the present St George's Square, which was eventually replaced in 1863 by a new brick building close by, which had been designed by the Lancaster architect Edward (E G) Paley, and which latterly came to be known as Cambridge Hall. On 1st June 1882, the town's principal station was transferred to its present site below Abbey Road, following the construction of a new loop line. Grange-over-Sands is another station on the Furness Railway which was designed by E G Paley, in about 1864.

Springs Branch

Established Member
The 3-letter station code for Surrey Quays (SQE) doesn't make sense at first sight (several National Rail stations on the former ELL were given "E" as their last letter e.g. Wapping).

Another station whose code is a challenge to the uninitiated is HPQ - Harwich International.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The 3-letter station code for Surrey Quays (SQE) doesn't make sense at first sight (several National Rail stations on the former ELL were given "E" as their last letter e.g. Wapping).

Another station whose code is a challenge to the uninitiated is HPQ - Harwich International.
To an old-timer like me, it is obvious. That station opened in 1883 as Harwich Parkeston Quay and was not renamed until 1995.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Beltring was the third least-used station on the Southeastern TOC's network in 2019/20 with 13,260 entries & exits.
The least used of all stations managed by Southeastern (8,044 users in the same period) was Swale.

SteveyBee131

Staveley lies partway along the Windermere branch, which is single track for it's entirety and worked by token on the 'One Train In Steam' principal. The same is true for the Matlock branch, on which Whatstandwell is found

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Reuben Stevens was the Station Master at Cam and Dursley between ca. 1871 and 1879; he was afterwards the Station Master at Radlett.

Yate station is also on the main Bristol to Birmingham Line.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
A difficulty has arisen as Cam and Dursley did not open until 1994 and has never had a Station Master.

Was he a Station Master at the now-closed station of Coaley Junction?

Yes, my mistake - I didn't appreciate that they were different stations.

One matter to remember when thinking about Coaley Junction.

Noted.

I have now changed my contribution.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Oulton Broad South is one of two small stations which serve this community, located on separate lines on account of local railway geography.
Another member of a similar station pair (Upper & Lower, rather than North & South) is Tyndrum Lower.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The lines which serve the two stations serving the village of Tyndrum join together a few miles south of both stations; the next station is Crianlarich.