• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations rebranded to Great British Railways design / Rail Alphabet 2

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Side by side comparison - interesting. Looks awful. The arrow doesn't fit (looks like a child drew it), and the BR logo being overused. And the font looks clunky and awkward.

Get Best Impressions in.

The arrow indeed looks very unsuitable. Far too large in comparison to the text.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The arrow indeed looks very unsuitable. Far too large in comparison to the text.

The original RA blue arrows looked far better, definitely one BR got right originally.

Looks fine on this but not on a smaller sign:

img_6625-1.jpg

Large multi line RA2 sign, thebeautyoftransport.wordpress.com

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Spotted at Crewe this morning...
View attachment 106022
I like it - much easier to read. Always remember signs are not a piece of artwork to stand and analyse. These signs are meant to be a way of helping people navigate. So they want to be able to quickly identify the facts. The arrow does look strange but then it does highlight a direction and distinguish itself from the other symbols and text.
I really like it, it's night and day compared to the existing sign. Nice, big arrow, clear text and a splash of colour from the double arrow. It's much more legible.

The older sign looks muddy by comparison, the small arrow gets lost with the P symbol and the red underline doesn't signify anything (or does it?).
That is my feeling - legible and simple.
The red is "adding a splash of colour". To me it works much better than the overuse of the BR symbol which is little better than the way First used to splash the F-in-circle everywhere. Overbranding is grossly annoying.
I wondered about the over use of the BR double arrow. It occurs to me that it is going to get used wherever it is possible to require the use of the word "railway". So where "platforms" needs to be qualified as "Great British Railway Platforms" using the double arrow is a lot less text. But then maybe that should only really be needed where there are other platforms that are for other networks - underground/tram/metro.

Non Multi

The original RA blue arrows looked far better, definitely one BR got right originally.

Looks fine on this but not on a smaller sign:

img_6625-1.jpg

Large multi line RA2 sign, thebeautyoftransport.wordpress.com
Also worth noting the very thin black border. I've not seen that repeated since then.

thomalex

The red is "adding a splash of colour". To me it works much better than the overuse of the BR symbol which is little better than the way First used to splash the F-in-circle everywhere. Overbranding is grossly annoying.
Maybe but it doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Using the new wayfinding system anything red will take you to the trains whereas previously the sign 'underline' is there seemingly for aesthetic purposes. Fine if that's consistent I guess but I was at London Bridge earlier and their 'underline' is light blue. Leeds is green if I remember. No real purpose to it and also inconsistent.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Maybe but it doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Using the new wayfinding system anything red will take you to the trains whereas previously the sign 'underline' is there seemingly for aesthetic purposes. Fine if that's consistent I guess but I was at London Bridge earlier and their 'underline' is light blue. Leeds is green if I remember. No real purpose to it and also inconsistent.

The purpose is making it look nice. That is important.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I don't really like the old Virgin signage. The text and symbols are far too small and the background colour appears grubby and outdated.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't really like the old Virgin signage. The text and symbols are far too small and the background colour appears grubby and outdated.

Not half as grubby as white signs will look when, as is typical, nobody can be bothered to clean them properly. 1990s BR really did look rubbish. We are heading straight back to that.

There's a reason white on dark blue is almost universal in Europe - it's clear and it hides muck.

physics34

Established Member
Agree with the overuse of the logo. It will look a bit silly if its on every sign like this on a station. The font itself i quite like, do like black on white too

Not half as grubby as white signs will look when, as is typical, nobody can be bothered to clean them properly. 1990s BR really did look rubbish. We are heading straight back to that.

There's a reason white on dark blue is almost universal in Europe - it's clear and it hides muck.
I wanted to take pic as my train came into Bern station but i couldnt get camera phone on in time. Highly impressive, white on blue, all signs had a backlight, very very clear.

Trainfan2019

I really like it, it's night and day compared to the existing sign. Nice, big arrow, clear text and a splash of colour from the double arrow. It's much more legible.

The older sign looks muddy by comparison, the small arrow gets lost with the P symbol and the red underline doesn't signify anything (or does it?).

Totally agree with you there about the new sign being more legible.

Not seen any more yet at Crewe but was surprised to see just one and right next to an ex-Virgin sign for great comparison.

Non Multi

It'll certainly get grubby a lot sooner where there's drifting exhaust fumes from diesel trains. Lovely shades of yellow and brown stained RA signage were commonplace in the 80's and 90's.

Rick1984

I wonder if the overuse of the double arrow is too subconsciously catch your eye, with the contrast helping the visually impaired?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder if the overuse of the double arrow is too subconsciously catch your eye, with the contrast helping the visually impaired?

I think the idea of using the double arrow to mean "trains" simply doesn't work. It symbolises the railway as a whole, not just the platforms. The "space invader" train pictogram is internationally recognised and should be used instead.

the sniper

Established Member

Pah, what do they know... Brexit means Brexit! The people here want plain, traditional WHITE BRITISH signs! That's clear and legible, especially for the elderly... :lol:

Peter Sarf

Established Member

I wanted to take pic as my train came into Bern station but i couldnt get camera phone on in time. Highly impressive, white on blue, all signs had a backlight, very very clear.
You mention Backlight. Does that mean, in Europe, white on a blue background is always / regularly back-lit ?. If so then that rules it out in the UK as there are not many back-lit signs.

physics34

Established Member
You mention Backlight. Does that mean, in Europe, white on a blue background is always / regularly back-lit ?. If so then that rules it out in the UK as there are not many back-lit signs.
Any station that is undercover it seems all the signs are backlit

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Any station that is undercover it seems all the signs are backlit

The vast majority aren't in my experience, some newer stations are, and Nederlandse Spoorwegen very much likes to. But it isn't essential, they are very clear without.

Network Rail also uses white on blue in the UK. I think it looks great.

thomalex

I see everyone keeps mentioning the blue signs in Europe and no one's yet mentioned the London Underground/Overground/DLR signage which is all in white and works very well.

GoneSouth

This is true.

TfL signage is finished in stove enamel, which gives a very durable finish that doesn't attract dirt. It's not cheap, but you pay for what you get.
Careful or you’ll be starting another north south divide, this time on amount of investment and quality of signs :D

Non Multi

This is true.

TfL signage is finished in stove enamel, which gives a very durable finish that doesn't attract dirt. It's not cheap, but you pay for what you get.
For rather obvious reasons, TfL Rail signs are screen printed correx wrapped over the long term enamel signs. However, sometimes the glue on the correx fails and you get a sneak preview of things yet to open.

Trainfan2019

More GBR signs at Crewe tonight. Also redone the signs on platform 5 toilets and waiting room.

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_165055.jpg
    IMG_20211125_165055.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20211125_165042.jpg
    IMG_20211125_165042.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 310
It may have had zero recorded passengers in the latest ORR figures, but it has been the lucky recipient of revnyled station signs - Stanlow & Thornton.

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_191431__01.jpg
    IMG_20211125_191431__01.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 245

LowLevel

Established Member
I think I saw that Metheringham had received GBR directional signage which might be a first for an EMR station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Curious one... I don't have a photo, but the old bridge at the far end of New St has been done in RA2 and the new style - but all white on black including the large platform numbers. It looks rather good. I wonder why?

No cheap vinyl, brand new signs.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Curious one... I don't have a photo, but the old bridge at the far end of New St has been done in RA2 and the new style - but all white on black including the large platform numbers. It looks rather good. I wonder why?

I have photos. It looks very classy, much nicer than the white.

Photos show station direction signs in Rail Alphabet 2 font and a black board and white/yellow text colour scheme

Attachments

• A0E5C92D-39C4-4EA5-855B-21808ADA43D6.jpeg
    A0E5C92D-39C4-4EA5-855B-21808ADA43D6.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 293
  • D3444468-5D76-4F2E-9730-5D0758BFCEB2.jpeg
    D3444468-5D76-4F2E-9730-5D0758BFCEB2.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 288

JaJaWa

Established Member

There's already some pics of that posted (above I think). It was either a trial design or it's meant to fit better with the existing signs, King's Cross also has a couple of them.