• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you would rename.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bletchley - Milton Keynes South
Wolverton - Milton Keynes North

(This giving justification for the "Central" in Milton Keynes Central ;) )

Llandudno

Established Member
James Street to Liverpool Waterfront

Mainly for tourism reasons

Neptune

Established Member
Weeton renamed Huby seeing as the station is in Huby rather than Weeton.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Marple should perhaps be Marple Bridge.

Dalmeny should be South Queensferry.

Wickham Market should be Campsea Ashe.

And maybe, just maybe, Deansgate should be Manchester Deansgate. :rolleyes:

mspljd1990

So many in Leeds:

Bramley = Swinnow
Horsforth = Tinshill
Headingley = Kirkstall
New Pudsey = Stanningley
Burley Park = Hyde Park
Kirkstall Forge = Hawksworth

meepmeep

How about Tring Station. It's at least a mile outside of Tring! Not sure what you'd call it though!

Peter0124

Established Member
I think Cambuslang should be renamed 'Cambuslang Central' with Newton (Lanark) being renamed 'Cambuslang East'

Newton really is an awful name for a station as it's such a common name and I feel it could do much better, it serves areas just as close by as the Newton village, eg Westburn/Drumsagard/Hallside.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How about Tring Station. It's at least a mile outside of Tring! Not sure what you'd call it though!

Tring Station Station? :D

(the settlement it is in is called Tring Station - there are a few like this e.g. Widdrington Station, Rainford Junction)

In all seriousness you could call it something like "Three Counties Parkway" if you wanted to reflect how it is used. But I don't think its present name is that much of an issue; it's a traffic source, not sink.

Marple should perhaps be Marple Bridge.

Yep, I've long thought it should be more like Marple = Marple Bridge and Rose Hill = Marple Central or something. But again as they aren't really destinations people aren't confused by them.

On Moderation

In that case Milton Keynes Central should become Milton Keynes Hbf!
:lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

This was actually proposed in the 1970s but dropped because it annoyed people who lived in those former towns.

MKC is an interesting one, the name is to some extent justified because the area it is in is properly called "Central Milton Keynes". I wouldn't however object to a bit of DB style subscript prefixing e.g. Milton Keynes Bletchley.

If you wanted to hack a load of pretentious people off (e.g. my parents) you could rename Aughton Park to "Ormskirk South" though it wouldn't be particularly accurate.

Maghull potentially to Maghull East, so it's clear neither of them is near what would currently be seen as the centre (the shopping square), and because I generally think if you have one suffixed station all of that name should be.

Haymarket to Edinburgh Haymarket and Waverley to Edinburgh Waverley everywhere rather than just in some places.

As I suggested on another thread recently, all stations in Zone 1 to gain a "London" prefix other than "London London Bridge" which would be silly as it's already got one.

New Lane to "New Lane for Martin Mere", as it might as well have in the name the only thing that even vaguely gives it any sort of purpose. (The wildfowl place could do with opening a back entrance near it so you don't have to walk round on a pavementless country lane).

Upholland to Skelmersdale South (it's not actually in Upholland, several parts of Skem are closer to it than Upholland is).

If Headbolt Lane opens, Kirkby to Kirkby West.

That's all I can think of for now.

In that case Milton Keynes Central should become Milton Keynes Hbf!
:lol:

I wouldn't be opposed to the Hbf-Konzept being used in the UK - "Main" sounds odd, though, I'd consider using "General" as a suffix if we did. I find the Dutch use of "Centraal" as the Hbf a bit odd because it's not always the most central station.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Trouble is, people would still try to find stations under the old names, a long transition period would be necessary
I favour double/triple names for stations serving more than one settlement
Any station more than a certain distance from the place it purports to serve could have the suffix - Road, like Builth Road etc

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hollingbourne to Leeds Castle, to avoid American tourists ending up in the wrong place (which apparently happens very frequently!) It's not in Hollingbourne anyway, it's between Eyhorne Street and Snagbrook. It's a fair walk, but nowhere near as far as from Leeds City! :)

Leeds City actually to be called Leeds City. Carlisle to Carlisle Citadel just because it sounds good.

Post Brexit, London St Pancras to London Agincourt in keeping with the former Eurostar station :D (this one is a joke)

Hope (Flintshire) to "Yr Hob" (the Welsh name) to avoid there being two of the same name (there's nothing obvious to rename the other one to).

Valley/Dyffryn/Y Fali - decide what it's called (the village and the station) and be consistent about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Post Brexit, London St Pancras to London Agincourt in keeping with the former Eurostar station :D (this one is a joke)

I think London Crécy would be a better name to be honest :) (also a joke)

bramling

Veteran Member
There’s a few on LU whose names are ambiguous.

Chancery Lane is nowhere near Chancery Lane, as the street entrance was moved when the station went from lifts to escalators. It now sits at the junction of High Holborn, Holborn and Gray’s Inn Road. So something like “Holborn Circus” or “Gray’s Inn” would be more relevant. Or, as a wild card, “Hatton Garden”, since a lot of people use the station for that.

Holborn is ridiculous from a logical point of view, as it sits on High Holborn, with Chancery Lane being on Holborn itself. “Kingsway” would be more relevant.

Tottenham Court Road is another farce, as three stations serve the street of the same name. “St Giles Circus” or even “Centre Point” would be more accurate.

I’d also be tempted to do something with Charing Cross, at the very least separating off the Bakerloo part and naming it Trafalgar Square, which I’ve always thought should have a station named after it.

Last edited:

Shimbleshanks

Upper Warlingham should really be Lower Warlingham as it's down the hill from the main part of the place. Upper Whytleafe might actually be more accurate.

bluenoxid

Established Member
So many in Leeds:

New Pudsey = Stanningley

Stanningley West or Farsley South.

Stanningley is a good 1.5 miles in length

Farsley south because everyone whinges that it’s miles away and it really isn’t.

New Pudsey because pre-1974, it was Pudsey.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Lea Green > Marshalls Cross
Upholland > Pimbo Lane (for Crawford)
Rainford > (back to) Rainford Junction
(I know it is no longer a junction, but the area around the station adopted the name Rainford Junction. The main part of Rainford is nearly a mile away.)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Upholland > Pimbo Lane (for Crawford)

I'd just call it Skelmersdale South.

Rainford > (back to) Rainford Junction
(I know it is no longer a junction, but the area around the station adopted the name Rainford Junction. The main part of Rainford is nearly a mile away.)

Yes, agreed. Burscough Junction isn't a junction either but it has retained the name.

Llandudno

Established Member
This was actually proposed in the 1970s but dropped because it annoyed people who lived in those former towns.

MKC is an interesting one, the name is to some extent justified because the area it is in is properly called "Central Milton Keynes". I wouldn't however object to a bit of DB style subscript prefixing e.g. Milton Keynes Bletchley.

If you wanted to hack a load of pretentious people off (e.g. my parents) you could rename Aughton Park to "Ormskirk South" though it wouldn't be particularly accurate.

Maghull potentially to Maghull East, so it's clear neither of them is near what would currently be seen as the centre (the shopping square), and because I generally think if you have one suffixed station all of that name should be.

Haymarket to Edinburgh Haymarket and Waverley to Edinburgh Waverley everywhere rather than just in some places.

As I suggested on another thread recently, all stations in Zone 1 to gain a "London" prefix other than "London London Bridge" which would be silly as it's already got one.

New Lane to "New Lane for Martin Mere", as it might as well have in the name the only thing that even vaguely gives it any sort of purpose. (The wildfowl place could do with opening a back entrance near it so you don't have to walk round on a pavementless country lane).

Upholland to Skelmersdale South (it's not actually in Upholland, several parts of Skem are closer to it than Upholland is).

If Headbolt Lane opens, Kirkby to Kirkby West.

That's all I can think of for now.

I wouldn't be opposed to the Hbf-Konzept being used in the UK - "Main" sounds odd, though, I'd consider using "General" as a suffix if we did. I find the Dutch use of "Centraal" as the Hbf a bit odd because it's not always the most central station.
Crikey you can’t call Headbolt Lane Kirkby West when Merseyrail has West Kirby, imagine ending up in West Kirby when you wanted Kirkby West.....lol!

Headbolt Lane should be called Kirkby Northwood?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Crikey you can’t call Headbolt Lane Kirkby West when Merseyrail has West Kirby, imagine ending up in West Kirby when you wanted Kirkby West.....lol!

Headbolt Lane should be called Kirkby Northwood?

Yes, good point. You could have Kirkby Westvale (which is different enough and accurate) and Kirkby Northwood.

Though there is a chance we could end up having both James St and St James in Liverpool city centre! (Though I think they're talking about "Baltic Triangle" for the reopening to avoid that).

Llandudno

Established Member
Yes, good point. You could have Kirkby Westvale (which is different enough and accurate) and Kirkby Northwood.

Though there is a chance we could end up having both James St and St James in Liverpool city centre! (Though I think they're talking about "Baltic Triangle" for the reopening to avoid that).
St James should definitely be called Baltic or Baltic Triangle, the former Higsons/Cains brewery site is a fabulous leisure attraction and well worth a visit especially at weekends and is open until very late evening!

A local Merseyrail station to serve this burgeoning area will be very well patronised at both peak and off peak times especially as the Hunts Cross line in non Covid times boasts a 15 minute service until after 2330

YorksLad12

Established Member
So many in Leeds:

Bramley = Swinnow
Horsforth = Tinshill
Headingley = Kirkstall
New Pudsey = Stanningley
Burley Park = Hyde Park
Kirkstall Forge = Hawksworth

Horsforth = Horsforth North.
Kirkstall Forge... is in the site of what was Kirkstall Forge, so is accurate!

Status
Not open for further replies.