• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steve Wright to leave Radio 2 Afternoon.

johncrossley

Established Member
Radio 2 already had a similar revolution in the late 90s. Until then, it had changed relatively little since it was renamed from the Light Programme in 1967. In the late 90s, the elderly listenership was jettisoned. That change was not synchronised with Radio 1 so the BBC lost a lot of listeners who fell between the gap between Radios 1 and 2. Radio 1 was famously repositioned in the early 90s, deliberately shedding at least a third of its audience. Radio 2 was still too old for the disenfranchised Radio 1 listeners, so it was an open goal for commercial radio, which was going through a huge expansion at the time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mike57

Established Member
I listen to Radio 2, and have done for probably 30 years. Like any form of entertainment its very personal. I will miss Steve Wright, he has been an afternoon fixture since the early 80s when I used to listen to him on Radio 1. My music tastes run from late 50s to 2022, so I am happy with any 'age range' to a point. However every generation produces music which lives on and music which dies soon after release. While working I have the radio on as background, it helps me concentrate, so prefer BBC R2 to the incessant ads on commercial radio, I suffer with tinnitus and having a background sound helps. Over the years some presenters have continued to entertain and others have failed, of the current crop Ken Bruce is the best for music, and a favorite of mine, and Jeremy Vine I really do not enjoy, I take a full hour for lunch and ride my bike to get fresh air and a change of scene, and guess what, my hour starts at 12 o'clock, so only have to listen to him for 1 hour. Yes I could retune, but where to? remaining BBC stations dont fit the bill and that leaves commercial offerings which are less appealing.

johncrossley

Established Member
I listen to Radio 2, and have done for probably 30 years. Like any form of entertainment its very personal. I will miss Steve Wright, he has been an afternoon fixture since the early 80s when I used to listen to him on Radio 1. My music tastes run from late 50s to 2022, so I am happy with any 'age range' to a point. However every generation produces music which lives on and music which dies soon after release. While working I have the radio on as background, it helps me concentrate, so prefer BBC R2 to the incessant ads on commercial radio, I suffer with tinnitus and having a background sound helps. Over the years some presenters have continued to entertain and others have failed, of the current crop Ken Bruce is the best for music, and a favorite of mine, and Jeremy Vine I really do not enjoy, I take a full hour for lunch and ride my bike to get fresh air and a change of scene, and guess what, my hour starts at 12 o'clock, so only have to listen to him for 1 hour. Yes I could retune, but where to? remaining BBC stations dont fit the bill and that leaves commercial offerings which are less appealing.
You could try one of the smaller Irish local stations. For example, Highland Radio or C103. They are heavily regulated, unlike British commercial radio, and generally play a wide range of music

trebor79

Established Member
Some commercial radio stations offer an ad free experience if you listen via their app or website.

johncrossley

Established Member

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Last edited:

Jamiescott1

He was quite witty when standing in on Radio 2.

They keep pushing this hip-hop programme.

If I wanted to listen to hip-hop I wouldn't be listening to Radio 2.

Which station would you suggest for classic hip hop ?
Its music of the 80s and 90s. 40 years old so surely in radio 2s remit

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Terribly sad to read that Steve Wright passed away aged 69, having broadcast on Radio 2 only on Sunday.

DJ Steve Wright, who presented programmes for BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 for more than four decades, has died at the age of 69.
His family confirmed his death "with deep sorrow and profound regret" in a statement on Tuesday.

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68287707)

A big part of my childhood radio listening!

McRhu

Terribly sad to read that Steve Wright passed away aged 69, having broadcast on Radio 2 only on Sunday.

That makes me so sad... I could throw the 'phone down! Genuinely though, very sad news. I loved the characters on his afternoon show in the early 80s. Simon Bates did his stint, then Ooooh Gary Davies (he's young, free and single) came on, and then the big event: Steve Wright in the Afternoon. He was a great DJ/entertainer. RIP.

theblackwatch

Established Member

I too was very saddened to hear this news, and even though I think we are different generations, he was also part of my childhood. Back in 1985/86, I had a paper round which took a couple of hours twice a week and what was a 'mod cons' credit card size radio which I could pop into my pocket and listen to with a set of headphones. Steve Wright in the afternoon was my station of choice, with its good selection of chart music as well as all his characters - Mr Angry, Gervais the hairdresser, the Old Woman, Sid the Manager, etc. I

Having 'lost touch' when he left Radio 1 (probably at around the same time as me, I was getting too old for it, I became reacquainted when he was doing Sunday Love Songs in the early 2000s, which we would have on in the office if we were doing overtime at the weekend. In more recent years, I would listen to him on Radio 2, particularly during lockdown when working from home - it became my station of choice, and I was disappointed when he was replaced in 2022.

RIP to a man who has kept me, and lots of others, entertained for many years.

Kite159

Veteran Member
RIP Steve Wright, a staple of the afternoons on the radio when I used to be in an office listening to radio 2.

LowLevel

Established Member
A shame and a shocking loss. I was listening on Sunday en route to work just in the background driving as I often did.

It has obviously caused an impact - it managed to shut the mess room up at work and I had a woman in tears on my train listening to the news.

Obviously a very well thought of man.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This was a bit of shock.

I must admit that I’ve drifted away from Radio 2 over the years but I have incredibly fond memories of listening to him after school when he first started. Saw him at the Radio 1 Roadshow at Torquay back then too.

RIP Steve. Hope Mr Angry isn’t in charge of the Pearly Gates!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Another one who used to listen to him on a rural area school bus back in his radio one 90s days and spent countless hours listening to him whilst doing homework or traveling home from secondary school etc, I also drifted in future years but funnily enough started listening to him again a lot during the lockdowns as I think I was doing an awful lot of stuff that just felt secure and safe, Steve Wright was my comfort blanket along with Enid blighton, Mr Magica, Thomas and postman pat

mike57

Established Member
Listened to him whenever I could from the start of his Radio 1 afternoon show until his last show in 2022. I work from home, and always have the radio on during the day, but once Steve and a few of the other older presenters moved on or were pushed out I have drifted away from Radio 2 to other stations.

RIP Steve, your memory will live on.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
R.I.P Steve: waking up at mum's in Uni holidays on Sundays, often slightly hungover, and hearing him and his Love Songs on the radio. Very poignant on Valentine's Day (even though he died 1 day before then)

Eyersey468

Established Member
Listened to him whenever I could from the start of his Radio 1 afternoon show until his last show in 2022. I work from home, and always have the radio on during the day, but once Steve and a few of the other older presenters moved on or were pushed out I have drifted away from Radio 2 to other stations.

RIP Steve, your memory will live on.
Must admit its rare I listen to Radio 2 these days

Senex

Established Member
Am I alone in never having heard of Steve Wright before the R4 news announcement yesterday afternoon?

jon81uk

Am I alone in never having heard of Steve Wright before the R4 news announcement yesterday afternoon?
I'd heard of him but never activily listened to him on the radio, I was too young to hear him on Radio 1 and Radio 2.
Scott Mills is more my generation.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Rip Steve Wright. Very sad loss. The best Dj radio has ever head. Radio Two will never be the same without his Dj singalongs and humour, always have been a listener of his, since as a youngster of the best of 38 to 42 years. Very sadly has come to a end. However Such a loss to Radio on Sundays with Steve Wright and his love songs. Making Sunday Morning get of to a good start. Plus Monday to Friday with his Steve Wright in the afternoon being the best ever shows on Radio there ever was. Especially when stuck on motorway traffic jams.
Rip Steve Wright. True legend of Radio.
You will be very sadly missed. By generation's.