• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Debi affecting rail services today (13/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
I've just been informed by a friend who is at Preston Station that everything is at a stand at that no trains can pass through the station. The station staff have advised that this is due to safety issues with the roof, caused by the high winds. There is also apparently a tree on the line near Wigan, causing further issues.

Coincidentally, this has just been posted to the National Rail Enquires website:

Severe weather at Preston means that all lines are currently blocked. Trains running through this station may be cancelled or delayed. Disruption is expected until 17:30.

Additional information

High winds have damaged the roof of Preston station, as a result no trains can currently pass through this station in either direction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
The station staff have advised that this is due to safety issues with the roof, caused by the high winds.
Again?!

There is/was also a tree on the line at Outwood, blocking the line from Leeds to Doncaster.

Efini92

Established Member
It wouldn't be a windy day without the roof at Preston falling down. Happens every time.

They could probably do with Rugby-ising it, but I think it's listed? So you'd be onto a full rebuild with the classic look which would cost a lot more.
Apparently they’ve had to use the parcels platform to detrain passengers.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It wouldn't be a windy day without the roof at Preston falling down. Happens every time.
Quite! Today's weather-related disruption will quite possibly help cement Preston's position as the worst station on the GB network for cancellations.

SteveM70

Established Member
Northern reporting flooding between Hellifield and Kirkby Stephen, and a tree on the line between Hellifield and Settle Junction

jawr256

Nothing in there at the moment, and there are trains in 2 and 5, but it seems 4 is blocked as "GARD", not sure what that stands for.
Train awaiting guard?

1M12 (14:01 to Euston running 1hr late) is shown on RTT as using platform 'L':

Established Member
Again?!

There is/was also a tree on the line at Outwood, blocking the line from Leeds to Doncaster.
Correct tree on line, Up line most likely blocked rest of day, down line, once tree has been cut back and cleared should be available for bother diesel and electric traction.

1D10 (mk4) has been hauled back to Doncaster by Newark thunderbird.

LNER bimodes diverting via Hambleton where route knowledge allows, other services diverting to/from York.

Last edited:
Correct tree on line, Up line most likely blocked rest of day, down line, once tree has been cut back and cleared should be available for bother diesel and electric traction.

1D10 (mk4) has been hauled back to Doncaster by Newark thunderbird.

LNER bunkers diverting via Hambleton where route knowledge allows, other services diverting to/from York.
I reckon they might have a bit of OHLE sorting out to do too…

Attachments

• 20B97F58-6D0D-4348-BC5E-75A66600C68F.jpeg
    20B97F58-6D0D-4348-BC5E-75A66600C68F.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 386

Established Member
EMR are accepting LNER tickets apparently.
You can use your ticket on the following train operating companies at no extra cost:

• TransPennine Express Manchester, Leeds and York .
  • Northern via any route, including services between Leeds and York, between Doncaster and Sheffield, Sheffield and Leeds.
  • CrossCountry between Leeds and York.
  • Grand Central via route, including services between Doncaster, Wakefield Kirkgate and Bradford in both directions.
  • Avanti West Coast services between Manchester and London Euston in both directions.
  • East Midlands via any route, including services between Sheffield and Leeds.

I've just been informed by a friend who is at Preston Station that everything is at a stand at that no trains can pass through the station. The station staff have advised that this is due to safety issues with the roof, caused by the high winds. There is also apparently a tree on the line near Wigan, causing further issues.

Coincidentally, this has just been posted to the National Rail Enquires website:
All lines have reopened at Preston.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Again?!

Makes a change from a 91 pulling the wires down on that section of line ;)

Another autumn named storm, hopefully no major damage will happen this time round

Established Member
Makes a change from a 91 pulling the wires down on that section of line ;)

Another autumn named storm, hopefully no major damage will happen this time round
When did a 91 last pull the wires down on that line?
Struggling to remember a time when they last did?
All I can recall is tractors, trees and Northern’s.

L401CJF

Established Member
Tree down blocking the line between Wrexham General and Ruabon, services terminating at Chester/Shrewsbury, limited number diverting via Crewe.

Established Member
Reportedly Keckwick Lane, trains examining at the moment.
Reports of droppers missing, but OHL appears intact. Line has re-energised and held, team still walking the section to check.

I reckon they might have a bit of OHLE sorting out to do too…
Down line between Doncaster and Leeds should open by 1800, Up line blocked until end of day.

YorksLad12

Established Member
In my case, the 1315 (a 225 set) from Leeds was cancelled. We got sent to York via a Northern service. In theory, we just had to cross from P10 to P11 where what would have been the 1345 from Leeds was waiting for us. Unfortunately, it was also waiting for crew. In the meantime, the delayed 1359 and 1402 left.

Two upsides: the train was fairly empty (in Coach B, anyway), and my Delay Repay was sorted five minutes after we finally left York as I’d booked through the website.

Big downside: when the service was cancelled, the app said “you will need to make alternative travel arrangements”, which is pretty useless really.

Miken

1830 Euston to Glasgow cancelled... managed to catch the heavily delayed 1740 Euston-Glasgow via B'ham only to be informed at Coventry this train is to be terminated at Wolverhampton (according to the TM because the set now 'needs' to go to Oxley). So we are faced with a Wolverhampton to Crewe shuttle of some sort and supposedly catch the late running 1930 Euston-Glasgow. I hope the revised 'plan' works or maybe we are facing taxi/hotels or ?

Elecman

Established Member
Was on the already late running 9P65 we coasted to a stand at Acton Grange Junction on the Down Line with loss of power stood for just over 50 minutes then power restored and train went forward to Preston

Status
Not open for further replies.