• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Debi affecting rail services today (13/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Overnight possession 2300 until 0700 at Outwood on the Leeds-Doncaster line, where the down line remains closed.

Intercity 225s diverting to York tonight, will then be 47/57 hauled across and onto Neville Hill.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
Northern's website is showing a confused message

Effect on service:
The following lines of route will be impacted (in both directions) by this disruption & weather conditions and will be cancelled:
Lancaster - Carlisle
Lancaster - Barrow
Lancaster - Morecambe
Barrow - Carlisle
Barrow - Millom
Barrow - Preston
Whitehaven - Carlisle
First services affected:
18:07 Barrow in Furness - Carlisle service will be the last service of the day to call at all stations.
Alternative travel suggestions:
Customers are advised DO NOT TRAVEL by train until the end of the day.

the bit I've highlighted seems crazy given Northern's habit of cancelling last trains.......

skyhigh

Established Member
Northern's website is showing a confused message

the bit I've highlighted seems crazy given Northern's habit of cancelling last trains.......
I think it means "don't travel today" rather than "wait until the last train today to travel".

Howardh

Established Member
Were any trains running through Preston but not stopping? I noticed a ton of cancellations from Blackpool North to Manchester (I was supposed to be going that route today but didn't!) on Real Time Trains, but the reason given was "unknown" so I assume that's because nothing much was going through Preston.

Established Member
I think it means "don't travel today" rather than "wait until the last train today to travel".

Agreed - albeit an incredibly badly worded statement which could be read literally to mean travel on the last train!

randyrippley

Established Member
Agreed - albeit an incredibly badly worded statement which could be read literally to mean travel on the last train!
And that's how I think a lot of people would have read it

Still problems this morning

Last Updated 14/11/2023 06:00
Due to engineering works not being finished on time between Barrow-In-Furness and Carlisle all lines are blocked.
How does it affect your service:
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled or terminated at Sellafield and restarted from Workington. St Bees, Corkickle, Whitehaven, Parton and Harrington will not be served. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Our advice to our customers:
Services between Carlisle and Barrow-in-furness are currently being disrupted due to overrunning engineering works at Parton.
As a result trains are only able to run between Sellafield and Barrow and Workington and Carlisle.

Effect on service:
The following lines of route will be impacted (in both directions) by this disruption:
Lancaster - Carlisle
Whitehaven - Carlisle
First services affected:
05:48 Maryport to Barrow-In-Furness service will terminate at Workington.
05:58 Barrow-In-Furness to Carlisle service will terminate at Sellafield.
Road Transport details.
Road transport has been requested, we are awaiting an update and more information will follow once this has been confirmed.

Showing other services between Barrow & Manchester delayed this morning as well - some by two hours

Last edited:

d70g

Nothing moving south from Carlisle at the moment (I'm on the 6.30 AWC from Glasgow stuck on platform 3). Flood water above the rails, per train manager.

My 1030 from Euston yesterday was curtailed at Preston all in all with other cancellations I was 2 hours late to Millom. We even hit a tree between Ulverston and Dalton which the debris applied the brakes to the 195!

Falcon1200

Established Member
Nothing moving south from Carlisle at the moment (I'm on the 6.30 AWC from Glasgow stuck on platform 3). Flood water above the rails, per train manager.

I was on the 0736 from Glasgow Central, which was held at Lockerbie until the line at the flooding site (Plumpton, between Carlisle and Penrith) was re-opened. We ended up an hour late after being cautioned at 5 mph through the flood, by that time the water on the Down line was just above the foot of the rail. Where we were stopped there was a torrent of water pouring down the cutting side!

Carlisle

Established Member
Another example of NR & Northern’s poor management of their secondary routes, The nearby Lancaster - Morecambe line has also suffered frequent cancellations in recent months .

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I was on the 0736 from Glasgow Central, which was held at Lockerbie until the line at the flooding site (Plumpton, between Carlisle and Penrith) was re-opened. We ended up an hour late after being cautioned at 5 mph through the flood, by that time the water on the Down line was just above the foot of the rail. Where we were stopped there was a torrent of water pouring down the cutting side!
One of the regular flooding spots that, has been for years!

Status
Not open for further replies.