• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Metro fleet permanent withdrawals

Wolfie

Established Member
Using some of the hundreds of 701/ 458 carriages doing nothing in sidings? Far too sensible. Much easier to continue to reduce capacity and force people on to 4 coach 455's.

We were always told BR was inefficient for having loads of rolling stock sat in sidings all year round.. SWR have managed it for five years with no end in sight.
Having drivers who are prepared to use them would probably help.... As it is the drivers have flagged issues and won't touch them with a bargepole...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D7672

On Moderation
456003 was scrapped mid August 2022,it out lived all southern 455s scrapped,and other 456s were broken up almost straight away or in between the 455s,power cars,coaches.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Having drivers who are prepared to use them would probably help.... As it is the drivers have flagged issues and won't touch them with a bargepole...
It's bonkers that they are spending millions converting them from usable trains to useless trains. So much for cutting costs! Are there many changes to the cabs?

Wolfie

Established Member
It's bonkers that they are spending millions converting them from usable trains to useless trains. So much for cutting costs! Are there many changes to the cabs?
To be honest l was more talking about the 701s. Our resident SWR staff are better placed to comment on the 458s.

Bikeman78

Established Member
To be honest l was more talking about the 701s. Our resident SWR staff are better placed to comment on the 458s.
Ah, sorry. I thought that the 701 problems had been resolved. I haven't kept up with that thread.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Here's 455 868 itself back in the day... There is a very thin white stripe between the blue and the grey. That does appear to be present in the repaint when the picture is enlarged.
Epsom - my home station for 17 years. Yes, the BR blue and grey livery had a pencil line white stripe between the two colours on all the many types of stock thst carried the livery.

Big Jumby 74

Here's 5858 at Surbiton in original form in 1985
That's the original 455/8 format. Both 455/7 and 455/9 came with more modern raised twin light clusters, and the latter were originally (as far as I recall) painted yellow as per cab front. The black effect was a later thing as far as I know.

Deepgreen

Established Member
That's the original 455/8 format. Both 455/7 and 455/9 came with more modern raised twin light clusters, and the latter were originally (as far as I recall) painted yellow as per cab front. The black effect was a later thing as far as I know.
Indeed, and 5868 (the 'celebrity' unit) was from the same tranche.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Lovely photograph, thanks.

They look really odd to me with the “standard” light clusters. I think it’s the cab roof profile plus those lights… It just doesn’t add up in my mind!
They were a complete dog's dinner, hence why the BR Design Panel got involved with subsequent deliveries.

DustyBin

Established Member
They were a complete dog's dinner, hence why the BR Design Panel got involved with subsequent deliveries.

They’re not too bad in their as-built form IMO; I’d describe them as “functional” (in true SR tradition!). But yes, the later batches have a more “polished” appearance.

Big Jumby 74

All three variations being easily identifiable from their roof profiles, even if one can't see the cabs or the painted numbers!

DelW

Established Member
I think that when the Merseyrail fleet replacement is complete, the ex-508 coaches in the 455/7s may be the only PEP-derived coaches left in main line service. Are there any others still in use?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I think that when the Merseyrail fleet replacement is complete, the ex-508 coaches in the 455/7s may be the only PEP-derived coaches left in main line service. Are there any others still in use?
No you'd be right, in terms of operation in passenger service anyway.

boiledbeans2

They’re not too bad in their as-built form IMO; I’d describe them as “functional” (in true SR tradition!). But yes, the later batches have a more “polished” appearance.
Some of the Class 317 units lasted till the end (2022) with the original asymmetrical light clusters (though the actual bulbs had been replaced with LEDs)!

Photo from wiki:

The Southern 455/8s in their final form were the true dog's dinner!

nctd2306

RTT is reporting a fairly dire situation on the Readings today (well, could be worse, but still far from acceptable)
A 4 car 455 on the same diagram that seems to be short formed every day and and 5 car 458
Incidentally it's 458521, which I believe was reported at being the next to go for pointless refurbishment

Goldfish62

Established Member
RTT is reporting a fairly dire situation on the Readings today (well, could be worse, but still far from acceptable)
A 4 car 455 on the same diagram that seems to be short formed every day and and 5 car 458
Incidentally it's 458521, which I believe was reported at being the next to go for pointless refurbishment
Indeed, and nothing mentioned re short formations on Journeycheck, so I assume these are permanent.

In order to avoid 455s/short formations I've resorted to changing to/from Windsor services at Staines. Fortunately there are convenient connections in both directions.

It seems that SWR have now reached the position where they don't have enough trains for daily service, and it can only get worse!

Last edited:
I have noticed recently that, unlike SWR main line services, SWR metro short forms are rarely reported on journeycheck. The diagram with 458521 did crop up this morning, although the fact that it was only a 5-car was not mentioned directly

06:49 Farnham to London Waterloo due 08:31
Service full and standing from Egham.

I did think that 458521 would do the earlier 0619 Farnham - Waterloo because it only does the 0815 Hounslow loop before dropping out to Wimbledon Park, whereas the diagram it is actually on should stay out all day on Readings before finally ending at Wimbledon Park off 2252 Waterloo - Weybridge.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Indeed, and nothing mentioned re short formations on Journeycheck, so I assume these are permanent.

In order to avoid 455s/short formations I've resorted to changing to/from Windsor services at Staines. Fortunately there are convenient connections in both directions.

It seems that SWR have now reached the position where they don't have enough trains for daily service, and it can only get worse!

Journey Check isn't as good as it used to be. TfW have kind of given up with it on the South Wales to Manchester route, for example.

On Moderation
Journey Check isn't as good as it used to be. TfW have kind of given up with it on the South Wales to Manchester route, for example.
JourneyCheck is only as good as what the operators put in. SWR seem obsessed with reporting toilet unavailability, then fail to mention short forms, or lack of toilets on services that should have them (but don’t because of their serial long term incompetence on 701 introduction).