• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Strike Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes. Haslemere to London is 3 trains an hour instead of 2 off-peak. In the peak, it is 4 an hour. Guildford to London via Cobham is 2 an hour instead of 1.

Then you have the peak extras, which seem to be running as it's a week-day timetable. Of course, it starts after 7:30 am, save the rail replacement bus running before 4 am from Guildford.

There will be other differences I'm not aware of but definitely more services. Of course, if one wanted to go from Guildford to Clapham Junction, it's better on a Sunday but that's due to the timetable rather than the number of trains running.

When one considers what GWR are doing, with some services not running and with Govia Thameslink Railway running a Sunday timetable, it's surprising. It is very good that they feel able to so this though

GWR is advising people to only travel on Thursday if absolutely necessary. In contrast, SWR says nothing of the sort. Just that services will be disrupted and busier than usual.
Actually, yes I wasn't thinking straight.

Operating a Mon-Fri timetable avoids the absurdity where last time Hounslow had 4tph on strike days and only 1 tph on days in-between.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Actually, yes I wasn't thinking straight.

Operating a Mon-Fri timetable avoids the absurdity where last time Hounslow had 4tph on strike days and only 1 tph on days in-between.
I guess you win some and lose some. I imagine people would rather that than no trains on strike days.

boiledbeans2

Yes. Haslemere to London is 3 trains an hour instead of 2 off-peak. In the peak, it is 4 an hour. Guildford to London via Cobham is 2 an hour instead of 1.

Then you have the peak extras, which seem to be running as it's a week-day timetable. Of course, it starts after 7:30 am, save the rail replacement bus running before 4 am from Guildford.

There will be other differences I'm not aware of but definitely more services. Of course, if one wanted to go from Guildford to Clapham Junction, it's better on a Sunday but that's due to the timetable rather than the number of trains running.

When one considers what GWR are doing, with some services not running and with Govia Thameslink Railway running a Sunday timetable, it's surprising. It is very good that they feel able to so this though

GWR is advising people to only travel on Thursday if absolutely necessary. In contrast, SWR says nothing of the sort. Just that services will be disrupted and busier than usual.

In addition, the Alton and Basingstoke stopping services (which couple and uncouple at Woking) are poor on Sunday mornings. 1tph on each branch until about noon, where it increases to 2tph. It's not suitable for the morning peak hour.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
In addition, the Alton and Basingstoke stopping services (which couple and uncouple at Woking) are poor on Sunday mornings. 1tph on each branch until about noon, where it increases to 2tph. It's not suitable for the morning peak hour.
Especially as it limits the Alton portion to only 4 coaches.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Especially as it limits the Alton portion to only 4 coaches.
They could make the Basingstoke portion 4 carriages and the Alton one 8 carriages or make both 5 carriages, if they used 444s.

TEW

Established Member
They could make the Basingstoke portion 4 carriages and the Alton one 8 carriages or make both 5 carriages, if they used 444s.
They could, but that would just have transferred the problem!

Dibbo4025

Maybe they could alternate them every hour so the issue is shared more evenly.
Could but that doesn't match the demand - significantly higher off the Basing branch than Alton - it's no accident the stock splits as it does on Sundays (other than late evenings when Alton gets the 8s for berthing reasons)

infobleep

Veteran Member
Could but that doesn't match the demand - significantly higher off the Basing branch than Alton - it's no accident the stock splits as it does on Sundays (other than late evenings when Alton gets the 8s for berthing reasons)
I agree that is the most likely case.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
True that Basingstoke probably needs more but, as someone who lives on the Alton line, I despair at how packed the four cars are on Sundays

Lifelong

Good evening...I see timetables for SWR for tomorrow (18th) and Saturday (20th August) - I need to travel from Surbiton on Friday 19th - how 'late' is 'late starting' on previous experience please? Many thanks

davews

The Reading line for Friday shows trains moving from 7.30 with a normal service soon after, same as last time. You should see your trains on RTT.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Good evening...I see timetables for SWR for tomorrow (18th) and Saturday (20th August) - I need to travel from Surbiton on Friday 19th - how 'late' is 'late starting' on previous experience please? Many thanks
No idea where you are travelling to but the first fast service to London is the 7:51.

Despite advising people not to travel on Friday, SWR is running their normal Friday timetable, save for the fact services are starting later.

Once you get beyond the first hours of services, I can't see the trains being any more busy than usual. I'd accept it more of they were running a Sunday timetable like Govia Thameslink Railway or cutting some services like Great Western Railway.

They are to be commended for being able to run this level of service.

Mainline421

SWR have published service levels for strike days over Christmas. The cuts appear far more drastic than would seem necessary. https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey

End of service on Christmas Eve is moved to 15:00, even though striking staff theoretically would still be starting shifts until 18:00. Service then won't resume until 12:00 on the 27th, and will be limited to 07:00 to 22:00 only for the rest of festive season.

Last edited:

OrangeJuice

SWR have published service levels for strike days over Christmas. The cuts appear far more drastic than would seem necessary. https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey

End of service on Christmas Eve is moved to 15:00, even though striking staff theoretically would still be starting shifts until 18:00. Service then won't resume until 12:00 on the 27th, and will be limited to 07:00 to 22:00 only for the rest of festive season!
Limited services 07:00-22:00 strike service plus extras (mainly shuttles it seems)

Are other TOCs likely to be affected too in a similar way between Xmas and New Year, or the period 18th to 3rd January actually?

Mainline421

Limited services 07:00-22:00 strike service plus extras (mainly shuttles it seems)

Are other TOCs likely to be affected too in a similar way between Xmas and New Year, or the period 18th to 3rd January actually?
I'm not sure how any toc could justify this, unless I'm mistaken there aren't even any strikes planned between the 28th and the 2nd.

Very strange that there doesn't seem to be a will to even try to run a close to normal service, especially on New Year's Eve when there would normally be extra trains.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm not sure how any toc could justify this, unless I'm mistaken there aren't even any strikes planned between the 28th and the 2nd!

Very strange that there doesn't seem to be a will to even try to run a close to normal service, especially on New Year's Eve when there would normally be extra trains.
No strikes, just an overtime ban

davews

On the 27th they are running their full strike timetable, no trains on the Reading line at all which scuppers my Xmas plans. For the rest of the overtime ban period there are no trains Ascot to Aldershot or Virginia Water to Aldershot. It really does seem they can't be bothered to run trains.

infobleep

Veteran Member
On the 27th they are running their full strike timetable, no trains on the Reading line at all which scuppers my Xmas plans. For the rest of the overtime ban period there are no trains Ascot to Aldershot or Virginia Water to Aldershot. It really does seem they can't be bothered to run trains.
No, it shows South Westerm Railway rely heavily on overtime. May be more so than other companies but I don't know if this is the case.

Also, people may have a holiday that needs to be used up before the year ends.

I prefer holiday years to start when you start rather than 1 Jan for everyone but that is another topic in itself.

swr444

No, it shows South Westerm Railway rely heavily on overtime. May be more so than other companies but I don't know if this is the case.
Also, people may have a holiday that needs to be used up before the year ends.

I prefer holiday years to start when you start rather than 1 Jan for everyone but that is another topic in itself.
Our holiday year ends march 31st

infobleep

Veteran Member
Having checked next week's timetable it seems places like Bookham and Byfleet and New Haw do well with an increased service over what they usually have but places like Cobham lose out and have no service

As someone once wrote on here, in response to one of my comments, there are always winners and losers.

Our holiday year ends march 31st
Ok so that isn't a factor then. It is simply they need so much overtime to run a service.

Big Jumby 74

During any strike/work to rule scenario on the UK railway network, if the signalling grade is involved in said dispute, that, and that alone, will be the driving factor in which (if any) services run on any route, end of. Forget crews, forget stock placement. Without signallers, nothing moves!

Apologies to all, a tad tied any emotional at the mo!

infobleep

Veteran Member
During any strike/work to rule scenario on the UK railway network, if the signalling grade is involved in said dispute, that, and that alone, will be the driving factor in which (if any) services run on any route, end of. Forget crews, forget stock placement. Without signallers, nothing moves!

Apologies to all, a tad tied any emotions at the mo!
But the signallers are saying they are prepared to do overtime, having previously said they would not.

So the only issue, save not being able to update the timetables in time, are guards not wishing to do overtime. Unless there is something else I have missed.

boiledbeans2

A rather poor service indeed. I was planning to get from Guildford to London on Sunday 18th. But they are running the strike timetable so there are no SWR trains at Guildford.

At the very least, they could have used the weekday pattern (i.e. many shuttle services) for Sunday.

All is not over though. GWR's North Downs Line is still running on Sunday, so I could get to London with GWR to Dorking, then GTR to London.

GWR and GTR both seem to be running a reasonable service on Sunday 18th.

Status
Not open for further replies.