• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Waterloo to Reading Line service reduction 17/07/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp503

The Waterloo to Reading Line is normally one of the more reliable services of the SWR, with half-hourly services during the day like clockwork. Today, and a few times in the recent week or so, however, there are noticeable reduction of services. Some services only go between Staines and Reading, some disappeared entirely, leaving an entire hour’s gap between two trains. RTT’s info at Bracknell station can provide an overview of the service pattern today: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...23-07-17/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

The weird things are: 1) there are no notices on the changes, not on SWR’s website, nor are there any planned engineering works; and 2) the missing departures are actually not marked “cancelled” on RTT, but disappeared altogether. This suggests that the cancellations and alterations are planned in advance (probably due to ASLEF overtime ban?) but I cannot find any such information from SWR. Does anyone know what’s going on, and am I being too unreasonable to expect some more explanation and communication from SWR? (Or am I looking at something similar to what TPE has been doing for the past couple of years…?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascotroyal

Its due to the overtime ban this week. The same happened a couple of weeks ago during the last one.

sp503

I imagine it's to do with the overtime ban currently in place from Aslef, meaning some services have been cut from the timetable
Cheers, I suppose this is the reason indeed, and my bad for not finding this before posting. I suppose it’s with the big RMT strike on 20 and 22 that I have overlooked the details on the ASLEF overtime ban during the week.

ABDeltic

Cheers, I suppose this is the reason indeed, and my bad for not finding this before posting. I suppose it’s with the big RMT strike on 20 and 22 that I have overlooked the details on the ASLEF overtime ban during the week.
There's another overtime ban week commencing July 31st. Some SWR routes have been more attracted than others. There is a summary of the changes on SWR website.

Goldfish62

Established Member
All on their website, as it has been for a week or so:
Basically hour service off peak, which seems to be between 11am and 3pm ish.
And from about 1900.

On a positive note trains are running beyond Staines to Ascot on Thursday for the first time on an RMT strike day.

sushiuk

On a positive note trains are running beyond Staines to Ascot on Thursday for the first time on an RMT strike day.
If you have to train then, yes, good news but an already very slow journey of 55 mins from Ascot to Waterloo is extended to 75-85 mins.

Goldfish62

Established Member
If you have to train then, yes, good news but an already very slow journey of 55 mins from Ascot to Waterloo is extended to 75-85 mins.
Yes, and an unusual service pattern of via Hounslow towards Waterloo and via Richmond towards Ascot with Windsor services doing the opposite. Can't work out the reasoning given that journey times are the same within a couple of minutes via each route.

Are they dispatched from Reading by GWR? If so they might not be able to staff it adequately.
There are trains to Redhill on Thursday from P4-6 so that's not the reason.

Surely the reason is the same as why other parts of the network aren't being served, ie it would require more trains, which would require more contingency guards, which SWR doesn't have.

Fastlane256

Reliable? That's the most nonsense I've ever heard about the reading lines. I regularly use these lines from Staines and SWR is awful. For example, today's service to reading at 5Pm was delayed 19 mins at Feltham due to a door failure it was cancelled later, thankfully after I had gotten off

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Surely the reason is the same as why other parts of the network aren't being served, ie it would require more trains, which would require more contingency guards, which SWR doesn't have.

Quite possibly - curtailing the service may mean less diagrams required across the day.

davews

Reliable? That's the most nonsense I've ever heard about the reading lines. I regularly use these lines from Staines and SWR is awful. For example, today's service to reading at 5Pm was delayed 19 mins at Feltham due to a door failure it was cancelled later, thankfully after I had gotten off
I think you mean this one, the 1720 from Waterloo. It wasn't cancelled, delayed 11 minutes at Feltham, but then continued through to Reading.

I had a trip up to town yesterday, both my trains (0839 from Reading and 1550 from Waterloo) ran bang on time.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Quite possibly - curtailing the service may mean less diagrams required across the day.
Most definitely. Running 2tph beyond Ascot to Reading would require three additional diagrams and a corresponding number of extra train crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.