• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT 158 on Bristol Temple Meads - Inverness? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWRtom

proubuly just the crew messing around with the digital destination blind
at least thats the most logicol explanation

anthony263

Established Member
Well i know one SWT Class 158 is supposed to be going on hire to FGW to cover for a class 150 which is being sent back to Arriva to cover for their class 158's when they are having their overhauls

fgwrich

Established Member
nah...thatll be the crew messing around...:lol:

Had a 158 combo leave basingstoke a few months ago on the basingstoke to Porthsmouth Harbour service with Portsmouth Harbour, St Ives, Basingstoke & Fort William on all its destination panels...

though mind you - only works with the old destination type panels and 158's...cant get any 159's to do that unfortunatly as its only programed for SWT...

turbo mick

165/166 fleet i drive we had skegness,edinburgh on our destination board,the maintance staff can update the systems for service requirements we input the codes eg 73 my personal code sunderland won the cup then last 3 digits 160 rdg-basingstoke service etc

Failed Unit

Established Member
165/166 fleet i drive we had skegness,edinburgh on our destination board,the maintance staff can update the systems for service requirements we input the codes eg 73 my personal code sunderland won the cup then last 3 digits 160 rdg-basingstoke service etc

I am sure the 323's had Torquay as a destination - will try and find the photo I saw it on. No idea why!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
That will explain why I saw a SWT 158 doing down the melksham line then!

Once at Westbury we saw the 5Zxx (Derby - Salisbury) on the EMT -> SWT transfer, and on the front and back it said 'Wick' :lol:

I love watching the ECS moves, they usually type in some random place!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The one in that video is on a SWT service to Salisbury, part of the usual timetable.

More recently though FGW are using SWT units for some of their Westbury diagrams (I think that's what I was told), as they are supposed to go to Salisbury - I don't blame them for not trusting FGW with them!

fgwrich

Established Member
158's have been known to have some strange destinations on display, such as this one at Piccadilly going to Singapore:

http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/p53751489.html

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i remember a few months ago when there was a picture in one of the magazines of a LM 350 at birmingham with 'The Vomit Commit' in the destination screens...And when we had all that snow in feb/march, there was a 444 which i passed twice with the Polar Express In the destination screen:lol:...

Dont know how much of you read it but some of you might have noticed my pictures in the back of the last edition of Rail Magazine - the previous edition- off the Platfrom Information screens at Eastleigh which showed up with the 11:XX SWT service to Portsmouth Harbour & Poole, This Train Is Formed of 15 Coaches...

Aswell as the AXC Voyager passenger info panels with Bejing Via Gobi Desert on:lol: Being on a Voyager for any distance is bad enough, let alone a AXC one to Bejing...:lol:

Last edited:

ukrob

Established Member
Merseyrail units displayed 'North Pole' on the front displays for staff (and family) Christmas specials in December. The scrolling internal displays read "Welcome to this Merseyrail service to North Pole".

You can just about make it out here: http://merseyrail.fotopic.net/p58995395.html

Established Member
if i was a driver on the Cross city line everytime i went north towards my local (Sutton Warmfield) i would put "Chav town" on the display, if you have ever been to Sutton you`ll know why

if i was a driver on the Cross city line everytime i went north towards my local (Sutton Warmfield) i would put "Chav town" on the display, if you have ever been to Sutton you`ll know why
No you wouldn't. 323s have a set list of pre-programmed destinations only.

philjo

Established Member
The FCC 313s have got Spalding on the destination blinds, seen when the destination is beng changed.
FCC do not go to Spalding & the route is not electrified so the 313s are unlikley to go there!

I once caught a Northern 158 that was going to Bridlington from Sheffield come in with Llandudno on the display. That confused a few people on the platform.

Aictos

Established Member
The FCC 313s have got Spalding on the destination blinds, seen when the destination is beng changed.
FCC do not go to Spalding & the route is not electrified so the 313s are unlikley to go there!

I know, try Peterborough, Stansted Airport etc... :lol: OR my favourite one - Special as the destination as seen on a few 313s running on the GN route...

dieselman

I once caught a Northern 158 that was going to Bridlington from Sheffield come in with Llandudno on the display. That confused a few people on the platform.

Inside the cab the panel to the right hand side of the driver there is a key pad this is used to key the number in of the destination, however when these have been used in the south they don't always tally with the north say london is code 525 leeds could be 525 they just need programming for the area they use.

bengley

Established Member
Epic things happened at Harrow On The Hill today.

b72bf51d9307be014315bcfd53d982b0.JPG

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm more concerned by the route code number 37! Things aren't how they used to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.