• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Temporary transfer of Turbostars from Chiltern to West Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter107

Thats right, they behave exactly the same. The only thing different from all the other 172 sub classes, other than buttons and switches being in different places, is that the 172/1 doesn't have a compressor speed up, so unless coupled to a 0,2 or a 3, it takes longer to build up the air

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thats right, they behave exactly the same. The only thing different from all the other 172 sub classes, other than buttons and switches being in different places, is that the 172/1 doesn't have a compressor speed up, so unless coupled to a 0,2 or a 3, it takes longer to build up the aira
Some of my colleagues are complaining about the lack of compressor speed up button in a /1. If the unit has been shut down they have to watch the main res does not fall too low and not get brake release at departure time.

There are a few who shutt engines down with 5 min turnarounds, even slightly less, also there are the odd driver who say that a 0/2/3 can almost (emphasis on almost) be driven like a stop start car. /1's almost preclude this due to no compressor speed up.

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
Some of my colleagues are complaining about the lack of compressor speed up button in a /1. If the unit has been shut down they have to watch the main res does not fall too low and not get brake release at departure time.

There are a few who shutt engines down with 5 min turnarounds, even slightly less, also there are the odd driver who say that a 0/2/3 can almost (emphasis on almost) be driven like a stop start car. /1's almost preclude this due to no compressor speed up.
Was that from design, or was that fitted as part of the unit refurbishment/maintenance?

I imagine it's a missing button with a wire behind it, but who knows. Could be simple could be prohibitively expensive. If they don't lose air to quickly then it's not a problem.

I am guessing Aylesbury or Wembley depots have some noise abatement issues so the compressor speed up was not installed.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Also in the cabs off the 1721 ex chiltern units the atp system ie advanced train protection system has been covered up and taken out off use.
The ex 1720 lorol ones don't have them.
Further more in the cabs off the 1720 ex lorol ones there is a bank off screens for the driver for platform dispatch ie driver only purposes. However very unlikely to be used and shouldn't happen. Only recently only refitted back at ilford Depot.
However the ex chiltern railways units the 1721 also don't have this system in the cab either.

warwickshire

On Moderation
172104 also out solo today on the Birmingham snow Hill lines via Birmingham snow Hill. Local services.
Just observed on the viaduct above the custard factory in Birmingham heading to Boardsley around 1705 pm this early evening.

Liam L

101 still at Tyseley depot (As of Friday) when I last went through there.
Unsure on 103 current location.

railphotoghw

Are the Chiltern 172s dedicated to the Snow Hill services, or do they also appear on the New Street - Shrewsbury/Hereford routes as well?
They have been and will be on Snow Hill and Hereford - New Street services. They won’t appear on Shrewsbury’s as the crews on that route don’t sign 172s.

Sprinter107

Are the Chiltern 172s dedicated to the Snow Hill services, or do they also appear on the New Street - Shrewsbury/Hereford routes as well?
Theres no reason why they couldn't appear on the Leamington to Nuneaton line at some stage either when all 4 are working.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Any ideas if either 101 or 103 have been out yet?
103 has very recently. And again been sighted in the carriage sidings at tyseley Depot.
Visable from the main line.
However it does carry west Midlands decals on the side off it.
And during various different observations it had moved around tyseley Depot yard and was in different locations with the surroundings off the stabled 196 being the upmost favourites.

Energy

Established Member
Theres no reason why they couldn't appear on the Leamington to Nuneaton line at some stage either when all 4 are working.
They are almost identical to the /0s used normally on that line (bar the /3 which comes occasionally). That route is currently rail replacement buses though.

43102EMR

Established Member
They are almost identical to the /0s used normally on that line (bar the /3 which comes occasionally). That route is currently rail replacement buses though.
I’m pretty sure passenger rail services have resumed, unless the pingdemic/engineering works have closed it again?

Liam L

103 has very recently. And again been sighted in the carriage sidings at tyseley Depot.
Visable from the main line.
However it does carry west Midlands decals on the side off it.
And during various different observations it had moved around tyseley Depot yard and was in different locations with the surroundings off the stabled 196 being the upmost favourites.
I did see 103 when I last went through for a 196 test run, saw it WMR decals so hopefully not long to go.

I have sighted 101 but I didn't see it the last time I went passed. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.