• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tesco to increase its use of rail freight

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagull

Interesting article in The Guardian newspaper at:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...es-stay-stocked-despite-supply-chain-problems

"Tesco is to increase its use of trains to distribute products by almost 40% as its boss credited investment in rail freight for helping to keep its shelves stocked during the lorry driver crisis.

Murphy said the supermarket aimed to deliver 90,000 40ft containers of goods a year to its warehouses via trains by the end of 2021, up from about 65,000 at present. The tactic comes amid a battle for lorry drivers that led Tesco to offer new sign-ups a £1,000 incentive this summer."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jackot

It's good to see a supermarket already using rail freight, and continuing to expand its' operations.
I think that the lorry driver shortage has really highlighted the vulnerability of of so many supply chains so reliant on just trucks.

Hopefully this will be an incentive to other supermarkets to utilise it more.

Mikey C

Established Member
Good PR for Tesco as well, when targeting "green" customers

Mcq

See also this thread

thecrofter

Interesting article in The Guardian newspaper at:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...es-stay-stocked-despite-supply-chain-problems

"Tesco is to increase its use of trains to distribute products by almost 40% as its boss credited investment in rail freight for helping to keep its shelves stocked during the lorry driver crisis.

Murphy said the supermarket aimed to deliver 90,000 40ft containers of goods a year to its warehouses via trains by the end of 2021, up from about 65,000 at present. The tactic comes amid a battle for lorry drivers that led Tesco to offer new sign-ups a £1,000 incentive this summer."
Good to see that they chose one of my photos to accompany the article. Perhaps not the best representation for Tesco given it was a very short formed Tees Dock - Daventry back in 2019 but I won't be complaining when the credit comes in!

squizzler

Established Member
Oh dear. I can see a lot of the forum's "experts" in logistics being very unhappy to hear that after all the ink spilled in telling us that it is impossible for a modern supply chain to use rail to a greater extent than currently. :p

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Oh dear. I can see a lot of the forum's "experts" in logistics being very unhappy to hear that after all the ink spilled in telling us that it is impossible for a modern supply chain to use rail to a greater extent than currently. :p
To play devils advocate, its Tesco doing more of the same. You don't see ASDA, Sainsburys etc moving across.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

The Tesco supply chain is specifically designed to accommodate rail hauls - this is expansion of their existing modern supply chain.

wobman

On Moderation
I'm glad at least one supermarket business is utilising the rail network, other businesses can learn from Tesco.

furnessvale

Established Member
To play devils advocate, its Tesco doing more of the same. You don't see ASDA, Sainsburys etc moving across.
Both use rail, Sainsburys more than Asda. The lack of a name on the container does not mean a company does not use rail.

Perhaps people may recall that initially TESCO were reluctant to emblazon their containers with their name, relying instead on "Less CO2 Rail".

zwk500

Veteran Member
Perhaps people may recall that initially TESCO were reluctant to emblazon their containers with their name, relying instead on "Less CO2 Rail".
But using very clearly recognisable branding. I don't think it was an attempt to avoid recognition, more an attempt to generate 'green' publicity.

Darandio

Established Member

Nonsense, that branding clearly had the Tesco logo incorporated in it. At the time they were also quite happy to publicise the fact they were involved as well, no reluctance or hiding behind an alternative brand at all.

Carlisle

Established Member
Both use rail, Sainsburys more than Asda.
It was long claimed Sainsburys sited distribution centres like Basingstoke intentionally by the railway in order to use it, but it’s clearly never happened.

Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
Nonsense, that branding clearly had the Tesco logo incorporated in it. At the time they were also quite happy to publicise the fact they were involved as well, no reluctance or hiding behind an alternative brand at all.
"Nonsense"? The only mention of Tesco was in very small letters on the container end.

Domh245

Established Member
"Nonsense"? The only mention of Tesco was in very small letters on the container end.

That may be the only 'actual' reference to Tesco on the containers, but the fact "LESS CO2 RAIL" was emblazoned down the side in the Tesco typeface and with the bars under each letter makes it pretty obvious who is behind it. It's clearly either Tesco or somebody desperate to get done for intellectual property theft...

seagull

One version of the logo certainly didn't have any ambiguity about its Tesco connection: but then for such a recognisable brand I imagine most people would even associate the more commonly seen one (which simply says LESS CO2 RAIL) immediately with Tesco.

(photograph shows a container stack with the words and logos "We're moving more freight by train / Less Co2 / Tesco / Every little helps / Stobart Rail")

Rugby_Yard_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1932927.jpg

furnessvale

Established Member
One version of the logo certainly didn't have any ambiguity about its Tesco connection: but then for such a recognisable brand I imagine most people would even associate the more commonly seen one (which simply says LESS CO2 RAIL) immediately with Tesco.

(photograph shows a container stack with the words and logos "We're moving more freight by train / Less Co2 / Tesco / Every little helps / Stobart Rail")

View attachment 103730
A later version with the word TESCO added.

Sadly, many on this group have an over inflated view of how people not involved with rail view the industry.

Darandio

Established Member
A later version with the word TESCO added.

Sadly, many on this group have an over inflated view of how people not involved with rail view the industry.

They don't need to be involved in any industry to recognise a logo.

And all this logo nonsense stems from you trying to suggest that Tesco were reluctant to show their involvement in rail. They weren't.

Mikey C

Established Member

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Both use rail, Sainsburys more than Asda. The lack of a name on the container does not mean a company does not use rail.

Almost every major retailer uses rail, although many perhaps don’t realise it. They use it for importing goods in boxes from the ports to their main distribution centres. If you’ve bought a bottle of wine in this country, there’s a pretty good chance it’s been in a container on a train in this country too.

However Sainsbury’s and Asda do not use rail in the way that Tesco do, which is as an integrated element of their distribution to stores. Even then, it is very much a marginal part of the whole operation - albeit important on a handful of flows and product areas.

As others have said, Tesco were very keen to explicitly state their use of rail, hence the press releases at the time.

But using very clearly recognisable branding. I don't think it was an attempt to avoid recognition, more an attempt to generate 'green' publicity.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That may be the only 'actual' reference to Tesco on the containers, but the fact "LESS CO2 RAIL" was emblazoned down the side in the Tesco typeface and with the bars under each letter makes it pretty obvious who is behind it. It's clearly either Tesco or somebody desperate to get done for intellectual property theft...

Tesco is probably one of the most recognisable brands in the UK and I doubt anyone who cares wouldn't think it was them.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Much more consumer goods goes by rail than you consider - such things as tinned tomatoes etc imported via Felixstowe and so on......

Used to amuse myself by looking at the documents for Freightliner trains - Tunnocks caramel wafers , selection boxes for Cadbury's , Kitcat bars, masses of wine for Italvini Perivale Beer in all sorts. Mineral waters. Cake mix and so on. Tinned salmon.

xotGD

Established Member
Tesco is probably one of the most recognisable brands in the UK and I doubt anyone who cares wouldn't think it was them.
I'm sorry but "LESS CO2" does not make me instantly think Tesco.

It's not like the "Bitten & Hisses" adds that you used to get on Formula 1 cars where the brand was obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.