• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfGM Bee Network - fleet discussion

Leyland Bus

Lots of new E400 elecs arriving at Bolton now, all huddled together ready for the big change over..!

Note: picture shows the new E400 buses along with the associated infrastructure to charge them...

Attachments

• 20230920_141745.jpg
    20230920_141745.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 163
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bgbus21

I’m not sure how many but some MCV EvoSeti’s have been kitted out as spares to run on the guided busway.
I have seen pictures on ‘Buses2012’ Flickr page of EvoSeti’s kitted out & tested on the Guided Busway so Go North West should have enough spare to cover the Vantage routes.
There's 3 that have been Bee'd for the Busway, 3051 (BG66MHZ), 3052 (BG66MJE) & 3053 (BG66MJF)

GCH100

There may be three MCV's kitted up for the Busway, but the question will be is it going to be enough, as First had five possible spares, and the number of collisions to Busway vehicles is always quite high, currently there are two out of service but that number has been as high as five or six. Also the five year frequency of replacement of the Busway fleet seems to have been a lie by TfGM, that was stated when it was opened, obviously that has come to nothing, as the Busway is operating with vehicles that are now Seven and Six years old and there appears no intention to update stock anytime soon.

Alexbus12

There may be three MCV's kitted up for the Busway, but the question will be is it going to be enough, as First had five possible spares, and the number of collisions to Busway vehicles is always quite high, currently there are two out of service but that number has been as high as five or six. Also the five year frequency of replacement of the Busway fleet seems to have been a lie by TfGM, that was stated when it was opened, obviously that has come to nothing, as the Busway is operating with vehicles that are now Seven and Six years old and there appears no intention to update stock anytime soon.
Vantage received government funding in 2019 for a full fleet replacement, then covid and then the bee network happened... Seems to have disappeared

What's happening to the stagecoach buses when GNW take over wigan on Sunday.
I’m sure they will be redistributed across other Stagecoach fleets. However Stagecoach will need to find vehicles for the next tranche of franchised routes as they take over Queens Road routes from Go NW in six months time.

GCH100

What's happening to the stagecoach buses when GNW take over wigan on Sunday.

Some E200s and E300s are heading to Yorkshire Traction, that's all that's confirmed at the moment. The first of these are leaving over the course of the next few days.

Some E400s *may* go to Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancs though not confirmed.

E400MMCs who knows, but let's not forget these are heavily coach seated, so they will be most useful in a rural fleet. On the other hand they could be transferred within Manchester.

ic31420

Lots of new E400 elecs arriving at Bolton now, all huddled together ready for the big change over..!

Note: picture shows the new E400 buses along with the associated infrastructure to charge them...

Interesting times...

Clearly new charging stands have been constructed for the new EV fleet but has the depot had a new grid connection or was the existing connection sufficient?

Going forwards will Bolton Depot hold great vehicle numbers now?

A few weeks ago I met a chap driving a van with a few ZF gearboxes in, to cut a long story short he said they was from buses and off for refurb/overhaul. That got me thinking how long does a gearbox last in a bus? Do the depots simply swap out engines and gearboxes at certain milages as is the case with rail, or do they wait until a failure?

A great great interesting thread from a non bus sort, who uses buses a fair bit.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Let's keep this thread for fleet updates only, please. Discussion of Bee Network routes, franchise awards etc. should be posted here:

JD2168

Some E200s and E300s are heading to Yorkshire Traction, that's all that's confirmed at the moment. The first of these are leaving over the course of the next few days.

Some E400s *may* go to Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancs though not confirmed.

E400MMCs who knows, but let's not forget these are heavily coach seated, so they will be most useful in a rural fleet. On the other hand they could be transferred within Manchester.
The one’s going to Yorkshire Traction operations (Barnsley & Rawmarsh) will probably replace some of the knackered MAN Enviro 300, I was on Local liveried 22559 the other week, the floor would not lower, the driver had to turn the engine off to do a reset & it had no power on hills.

Leyland Bus

Interesting times...

Clearly new charging stands have been constructed for the new EV fleet but has the depot had a new grid connection or was the existing connection sufficient?

Going forwards will Bolton Depot hold great vehicle numbers now?

A few weeks ago I met a chap driving a van with a few ZF gearboxes in, to cut a long story short he said they was from buses and off for refurb/overhaul. That got me thinking how long does a gearbox last in a bus? Do the depots simply swap out engines and gearboxes at certain milages as is the case with rail, or do they wait until a failure?

A great great interesting thread from a non bus sort, who uses buses a fair bit.
The infrastructure has been beefed up a fair amount with extra substations built and various works carried out in the area to help. We also have large generators on site incase of power outages and I'm told that these run on waste byproducts as opposed to fossil fuels.

Power unit wise, engines and gearboxes are generally changed upon failure. Whilst as a rule they are checked and maintained every 28 days upon inspection (and a yearly MoT) there are no set milages for the units anymore. Many moons ago, buses were overhauled every 5-7 years but they're just simply "maintained" these days...

M60lad

While things could possibly change I have heard that Wigan's MMC400s are supposedly off to Sharston Depot to replace vehicles there.

According to Bustimes (yes I know), Sharston have lost 21x MMC400s for the school bus operation at Little Hulton and Stockport have lost 18 x Enviro 200 similarly. You would think that those depots would be short of vehicles as a result.

Leyland Bus

Bolton updates...
So... the last 2 days of Rotala operation of Bolton are upon us. Streetdeck 40731 returned from refurb at Thorntons this morning and the former open topper, 40761, has now been fully liveried with Bee Network logos and the black has been painted on after it was missed when it was repainted yellow in Ireland.

As of Sunday, a new era shall begin. I shall be present from the very start (I must be mad! 2am!) but I'll try and give live updates of fleet movements during the morning.

Several more E400 electrics arrived today, haven't been able to do a head count, but there can't be many of the 50 missing now...

GCH100

According to Bustimes (yes I know), Sharston have lost 21x MMC400s for the school bus operation at Little Hulton and Stockport have lost 18 x Enviro 200 similarly. You would think that those depots would be short of vehicles as a result.
But do they want the old E400's that were trudging round Wigan, I think not?

WWH44L

Bolton updates...
So... the last 2 days of Rotala operation of Bolton are upon us. Streetdeck 40731 returned from refurb at Thorntons this morning and the former open topper, 40761, has now been fully liveried with Bee Network logos and the black has been painted on after it was missed when it was repainted yellow in Ireland.

As of Sunday, a new era shall begin. I shall be present from the very start (I must be mad! 2am!) but I'll try and give live updates of fleet movements during the morning.

Several more E400 electrics arrived today, haven't been able to do a head count, but there can't be many of the 50 missing now...
Thanks for the update. Look forward to the updates. Get an early night!

GCH100

No official sources at this stage but a few are rumoured to be transferring to Cumbria, and an unknown quantity to East Midlands, presumably to see off more Tridents.
Hi yes I had heard about the ones for Cumbria but not the ones for East Midlands, all are too old to retain in Greater Manchester for contracts apart from the 10 or so 09 regs, and they would only have a limited lifespan in Greater Manchester so best to move them on now, which in turn causes another issue for Stagecoach in that a lot of E400'S seem to be 09 registered so this will cause a headache for replacement, presume therefore this is what the batch of BZL's at Stockport will do, replace vehicles that are too old for Franchising.

MasterSpenny

The BYD / ADL batch for Go North West - taken from BLOTW buslistsontheweb.co.uk:
2003 - LG73FXZ (originally intended as LG23FBU)
2004 - LG73FYA (originally intended as LG23FBV)
2005 - LG73FYB (originally intended as LG23FBX)
2006 - LG73FVZ
2007 - LG73FWA
2008 - LG73FWB
2009 - LG73FWC
2010 - LG73FWD
2011 - LG73FWE
2012 - LG73FWF
2013 - LG73FWH
2014 - LG73FWJ
2015 - LG73FWK
2016 - LG73FWL
2017 - LG73FWM
2018 - LG73FWN
2019 - LG73FWO
2020 - LG73FWP
2021 - LG73FWR
2022 - LG73FWS
2023 - LG73FWT
2024 - LG73FWU
2025 - LG73FWV
2026 - LG73FWW
2027 - LG73FWX
2028 - LG73FWY
2029 - LG73FWZ
2030 - LG73FXA
2031 - LG73FXB
2032 - LG73FXC
2033 - LG73FXD
2034 - LG73FXE
2035 - LG73FXF
2036 - LG73FXH
2037 - LG73FXJ
2038 - LG73FXK

2041 - LG73FXO
2040 and 2042-50 have LG73* marks
Update on the above:
Bus Lists on the Web (buslistsontheweb.co.uk) confirmed the following:
Fleet No. - Registration
2040 - LG73FXM
2042 - LG73FXP
2043 - LG73FXR
2044 - LG73FXS
2045 - LG73FXT
2046 - LG73FXU
2047 - LG73FXV
2048 - LG73FXW
2049 - LG73FXX
2050 - LG73FXY

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I understand that 250 more BYD / ADL E400 EV's have been ordered for the Bee Network for 2024/2025-2027 delivery.

Given that the network will have mixtures of different models of different ages, are the 250 intended to replace all these and eventually convert the entire Bee Network to these electric E400's?

cnjb8

Established Member
Does anybody know what the new Go North West Enviro 200 MMCs will be coded as? They don’t seem to number them until they arrive and are ready for service.
SK73CPU is one of the plates (not my photo)

If you mean fleetnumbers, they are to be numbered 4101 upwards.
Apparently 51 of these are arriving, is this true?

GCH100

I heard 20, and I also heard 58, so take your pick.

Well with all the ADL E200's from More and Swindon being temporary till Christmas plus the tatty handful from First South Wales, it looks certain there must be some batch of ADL E200MMC on the way, maybe it will be very similar to the Diamond batch as both sets will have TfGM corporate layout now internally, I would say its probably in the region of about 30-40 vehicles.

Leyland Bus

Mobilisation appears to have gone well.

I can report that the StreetDecks are now numbered into the 34** & 35** series. Former Diamond Solo 30100 is now 4201.

The biggest surprise was the arrival at Bolton of ex FirstBus 36279/80 along with the Vantage buses... Not sure if they are on loan or acquired last minute.

Plenty of Streetdecks have transferred to Wigan, 30+ from a rough count.

Things will probably become clearer on Monday, when the real fun begins!

gka472l

Mobilisation appears to have gone well.

I can report that the StreetDecks are now numbered into the 34** & 35** series. Former Diamond Solo 30100 is now 4201.

The biggest surprise was the arrival at Bolton of ex FirstBus 36279/80 along with the Vantage buses... Not sure if they are on loan or acquired last minute.

Plenty of Streetdecks have transferred to Wigan, 30+ from a rough count.

Things will probably become clearer on Monday, when the real fun begins!

Plenty showing on 'bustimes' already.....one thing to be aware of for anyone updating fleetlists, the former Rotala Streetdecks and ex First Vantage B5LH's, they don't seem to have been numbered in the same order that their First/Rotala numbers were....

citybus2500

Plenty showing on 'bustimes' already.....one thing to be aware of for anyone updating fleetlists, the former Rotala Streetdecks and ex First Vantage B5LH's, they don't seem to have been numbered in the same order that their First/Rotala numbers were....
Go North West usually number vehicles in registration order but sorting in that order does not quite so far match what has appeared. The Omnicity are even worse
I heard 20, and I also heard 58, so take your pick.
The original order was for 52, but could well have been adjusted since.

WWH44L

All alphabetical by the looks of it although SO19MVX is incorrectly showing as 3409 on bustimes when it’s intact 3404 which would make it in order. Looks like someone has added the wrong reg. There is a photo of said vehicle on Twitter but can’t find the link now.

Looks like the Citaros follow on from Go North West with 33017 now 6249, again looks like they are in alphabetical order.

Vantage B5s look like 3021–45

Loan L5498 NK69FBN is running on the 524 today still with Go North East branding - looks like it’s escaped the sticker up last night.

Attachments

• IMG_6379.jpeg
    IMG_6379.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

stait.john

36279 & 36280 are on short term loan from First to GNW to cover for VORs 39255 (engine) and 39257 (RTC)