• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 15x/17x withdrawals (17x now finished)

CHAPS2034

Passed Longsight today and 175111 has moved from its position of the last few months.

Don't know where it has gone though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Are all of the 175s now officially stood down by TfW?
Yes, all out of service now sadly, and one is not likely to escape again. 109, which worked to Chester yesterday with 101, has already gone with 114 to Crewe Gresty Green for storage.

sd0733

Established Member
As I understand it they will see no furthe use with TfW and the ones at Chester will all move to Crewe Gresty Green for storage over the coming days while they wait space at Landore for handback exams.

sd0733

Established Member
Not sure how to count 67s and the Mk4s in that, but I think there's 8 sets, of which not all are in service.
There's currently 6 active Mk4 sets. 1 is the 5 car set not in service and the 8th set isn't about at all and is currently unknown what's happening to it.

Established Member
We have no clue.
Very little has been said, all we know for certain is Northern and GWR aren't having them
How do we know that? They are perhaps the 2 most reasonable contenders, with 175s and 180s having previously operated various Northern and GWR routes and a shortage of Diesel stock at both operators.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
How do we know that? They are perhaps the 2 most reasonable contenders, with 175s and 180s having previously operated various Northern and GWR routes and a shortage of Diesel stock at both operators.
Exactly. One forum member working for them cannot be expected to be infallible.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As much as I want to know where the 175s will be going, there's no big rush to find out, surely? We'll find out soon enough, and I'd weigh in with an opinion on where I'd like to see them go to, or where I'd not like to, but I won't :)

I do think they'd look awesome in green, I'll say that much, but there's another livery I'd love to see them in :D

17 years of 175s on my local route, and I have some rather happy memories with them. A lot of them I can't remember now, there's just so many after all, so many trips made on 175s and now they are just part of nostalgia. No more jumping on a 175 down to South Wales on an adventure, or positioning oneself in Cheshire for a big trip/visiting family, now it's just all memories :(

Liverpool 507

Plenty of them lurking around Chester as of this morning - there was one in Platform 2 or 3 (couldn't tell) 175115 has been sat in the sidings next to the bridge which the Chester to Manchester line goes under for quite a while now. Another unit has been parked behind it this morning (again couldn't tell the number). Theres at least two units sitting in the sidings off Platform 7 as well. I also saw this morning 175114 which appeared to be heading in the Manchester direction.
Thank you
As I understand it they will see no furthe use with TfW and the ones at Chester will all move to Crewe Gresty Green for storage over the coming days while they wait space at Landore for handback exams.
I can't seem to find any paths to/from Crewe between now and Tuesday.

Dan G

Are any getting scrapped or are all the units moving to a new TOC?
They're going to a new train operating company, but we don't know which yet.

The theory that they're not going to Chiltern or Northern is because those two have procurement processes for new trains, but of course any resulting new trains are years away so it's perfectly possible for the 175s to go to either.

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
We have no clue.
Very little has been said, all we know for certain is Northern and GWR aren't having them
A forum member who has some knowledge of Northern's plans has stated many times that Northern are not taking the 175s, but I've no idea why pokemonsuper9 says GWR has been ruled out.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A forum member who has some knowledge of Northern's plans has stated many times that Northern are not taking the 175s, but I've no idea why pokemonsuper9 says GWR has been ruled out.
And we are yet to see evidence to support that, only sulking when a source is asked for. Also, you do not need to embolden.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
but I've no idea why pokemonsuper9 says GWR has been ruled out.
But it was one source that at one point said they talked to someone higher up in GWR staff at a station and they said they would not be interested in them.
I do think my wording may have been a bit too generous with "for certain", for lots of reasons.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Northern don't have a shortage of diesel stock, they've been able to release 150s to both TfW and WMR/LNWR.

Them having worked for Northern's predecessors twenty years ago is neither here nor there: quite a few of those routes are now electrified in part or in full, or no longer part of present-day Northern. The area of Northern they're usually suggested for is the North East: an area they have never worked previously and aren't cleared for. They're also not cleared for the cross-Pennine routes they'd have to traverse to get there.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Meanwhile today Friday 20th October 2023 175001 passed 319433 and 319217 at Milton Keynes Central, on the 5Q42 1601 Ilford emud to Crewe Gresty Lane. So 175001 is now at Crewe Gresty Lane. With the 319 Veterans from the late eighties, and possibly the 175 from the turn of the Century all facing uncertainty and Withdrawal. However ironic how two fleets from two different tocs, should meet, with both facing Withdrawal. Of which recent use until Early on this week has just ended. Another chapter ends,

47584Suffolk

Currently four Class 175s at Ilford. After 175001 left there yesterday bound for Crewe, this left 175005/08*/09/10. (* 008 = reformed set from part 008 and part 101).

Are there any clues as to why they are there? Apologies if I've missed this earlier in thread. Thanks.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Currently four Class 175s at Ilford. After 175001 left there yesterday bound for Crewe, this left 175005/08*/09/10. (* 008 = reformed set from part 008 and part 101).

Are there any clues as to why they are there? Apologies if I've missed this earlier in thread. Thanks.
008 is there for fire damage repairs. The other 3 are there for some sort of hand-back work I imagine.