• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 175 shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
I've always been pleased to see one turn up on my train when I'm in the Wales and borders area, I find the interiors very pleasant and comfortable as long as they're not overcrowded.

It's a pity some of the two car sets couldn't have stayed on as the Heart of Wales fleet rather than keeping the even older (and much more cramped) 153s, but I assume the hydraulic transmission and/or gearing would be unsuitable for a low speed service with lots of stops.

153s have hydraulic transmission too.
I assume this comment was made based on the issues 170s had when used on similar services - allegedly they weren't terribly efficient and it required extra maintenance to keep them going.

Personally I reckon 175s would have faired better on the HOWL. They change into direct drive at a lower speed than 170s to (~62mph in full power in notch 4, which is too high for the HOWL, but it's ~ 57mph in notch 3 and ~52mph in notch 2. HOWL is varies between 50 and 60mph, mostly at 55mph. It has has the higher speed runs at either end to shake out the cobwebs - 75mph between Llanelli and Swansea and 90mph between Craven Arms and Shrewsbury.

I think the real deal breaker for keeping them on HOWL is the fact you wouldn't need enough for the whole fleet, so you'd end up with an awkward microfleet situation - which is not ideal, especially with a fleet that as the recent issues have shown, requires careful handling and maintenance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip

On Moderation
Is Longsight a suitable depot to provide the same level of maintenance that they received at Chester? I know it's Alstom but with 390s and other EMUs to look after, is the depot big enough and with the relevant training to take on full-time maintenance of an extra 27 trains?

Dai Corner

Established Member
I think the real deal breaker for keeping them on HOWL is the fact you wouldn't need enough for the whole fleet, so you'd end up with an awkward microfleet situation - which is not ideal, especially with a fleet that as the recent issues have shown, requires careful handling and maintenance.
Won't the 153s be a HOWL microfleet anyway? They're more suitable for the line than 175s though.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
Won't the 153s be a HOWL microfleet anyway? They're more suitable for the line than 175s though.
True, but it's a microfleet that's easier to maintain, and would almost certainly be going for scrap if not used there. The 175s have more more potential for transfer somewhere else - but that would probably be easier if it was the entire fleet and not just a portion.

DelW

Established Member
I assume this comment was made based on the issues 170s had when used on similar services - allegedly they weren't terribly efficient and it required extra maintenance to keep them going.

Personally I reckon 175s would have faired better on the HOWL. They change into direct drive at a lower speed than 170s to (~62mph in full power in notch 4, which is too high for the HOWL, but it's ~ 57mph in notch 3 and ~52mph in notch 2. HOWL is varies between 50 and 60mph, mostly at 55mph. It has has the higher speed runs at either end to shake out the cobwebs - 75mph between Llanelli and Swansea and 90mph between Craven Arms and Shrewsbury.

It was the comments about the probable unsuitability of the 170s for HoWL services (which I recall they were proposed for at one time) that I was remembering. I was expecting the 175s to be even less suitable, but appreciate your detailed knowledge is from practical experience!
True, but it's a microfleet that's easier to maintain, and would almost certainly be going for scrap if not used there. The 175s have more more potential for transfer somewhere else - but that would probably be easier if it was the entire fleet and not just a portion.
There seems to be at least a possibility that all the 175s will go for scrap though. If so (and I guess we won't know for a while), then I'd rather TfW had kept a few 175/0s than a few 153s for the HoWL. Likely too late to change now though.

Razorblades

Is Longsight a suitable depot to provide the same level of maintenance that they received at Chester? I know it's Alstom but with 390s and other EMUs to look after, is the depot big enough and with the relevant training to take on full-time maintenance of an extra 27 trains?

LO used to look after the class and Alstom certainly has the expertise - with refreshers possibly required.

It was the comments about the probable unsuitability of the 170s for HoWL services (which I recall they were proposed for at one time) that I was remembering. I was expecting the 175s to be even less suitable, but appreciate your detailed knowledge is from practical experience!

There seems to be at least a possibility that all the 175s will go for scrap though. If so (and I guess we won't know for a while), then I'd rather TfW had kept a few 175/0s than a few 153s for the HoWL. Likely too late to change now though.
Are the 175s fitted out with (late) 1990's obsolete computers / software etc that can't be upgraded? Obviously I've never been near the cab of one so I don’t know.

Is that another cost, on top of the corrosion issues, that means they are likely to go for scrap rather than extending their useful life and going to another operator?

Topological

Went the other way this evening with the 22:18 from Cardiff to Carmarthen formed from 175108 instead of the pair of 153s that RTT said it was going to be. This was actually the same 175108 that had worked the 18:30 from Manchester so became an unexpected through service. Still had to spend 15 minutes on the platform at Cardiff while they decided 175108 could work the 22:18 to Carmarthen.

It was so nice having a 3-car 175 from Manchester this evening.

Established Member
This evening's 2005 Cardiff - Manchester is currently showing as 153926 on it's own. Still better than nothing turning up but I thought the 153/9's had to run with another unit?

This evening's 2005 Cardiff - Manchester is currently showing as 153926 on it's own. Still better than nothing turning up but I thought the 153/9's had to run with another unit?
That often happens on RTT - the unit formation shows up as a single 153, but then a double turns up (normally a /9 and /3) so PRM compliancy is achieved.

Might change later on RTT as well if you keep an eye on it!

Caaardiff

It's 5 hours away from when you posted. No doubt it'll change by the time it's due to go.

Jez

Established Member
That often happens on RTT - the unit formation shows up as a single 153, but then a double turns up (normally a /9 and /3) so PRM compliancy is achieved.

Might change later on RTT as well if you keep an eye on it!
Its showing as a 150 now. 150278

Quick 175 question from me....the unit that was slightly singed at Wilmslow where did it end up going for repairs?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
In this case RTT was correct
It often isn’t though, but it’s rarely acknowledged on here now, because panicked forum members will immediately attack anyone who dares criticise the platform, after forumers once complained about adverts on the site and the owner seemed to respond by pretty much warning that he might take the site down altogether.

That shut up complaints (probably as intended) but now regular users will have a go at anyone that dares moan when it gets things wrong because they’re scared too much criticism and they’ll lose it altogether :lol: That’s really bad if you ask me, but we’ll leave that for a more appropriate thread. To clarify, I do see RTT as an exceptionally valuable resource, I just refuse to deny it’s not infallible.

Where do we currently stand with 175s in service, withdrawn, and off leased please?

DelW

Established Member
It often isn’t though, but it’s rarely acknowledged on here now, because panicked forum members will immediately attack anyone who dares criticise the platform, after forumers once complained about adverts on the site and the owner seemed to respond by pretty much warning that he might take the site down altogether.

That shut up complaints (probably as intended) but now regular users will have a go at anyone that dares moan when it gets things wrong because they’re scared too much criticism and they’ll lose it altogether :lol: That’s really bad if you ask me, but we’ll leave that for a more appropriate thread. To clarify, I do see RTT as an exceptionally valuable resource, I just refuse to deny it’s not infallible.

Where do we currently stand with 175s in service, withdrawn, and off leased please?
It's not RTT that gets things "wrong" (or in this case, puts up information that is subsequently changed), it's the internal industry system(s) that RTT reads its information from and makes it available to the public.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Appropriate timing (or not!) given the 175 shortages...
An interesting programme with a quirky commentary.
But it might as well have been called Cardiff Railways but for the brief shots of Bow Street station reopening and the inauguration of the 197s "up north".
It was best on the Valleys electrification project, which is otherwise little reported.

DannyMich2018

In this case RTT was correct
That's good then.
We are going to Chester for a few days in a few weeks so hoping to see some 175s and hopefully a few 197s too. I regularly travel on 180s but don't think I've ever ridden a 175 so be nice to catch on from Crewe to Chester.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
That's good then.
We are going to Chester for a few days in a few weeks so hoping to see some 175s and hopefully a few 197s too. I regularly travel on 180s but don't think I've ever ridden a 175 so be nice to catch on from Crewe to Chester.
It's usually 153s on the Crewe Chester shuttle, theres only a couple of 175 diagrams Crewe - Holyhead or early morning / late evening shuttles.

craigybagel

Established Member

TfW recently changed it's software and RTT struggled for a while (hence the confusion on these forums when 175101 had it's incident at Wilmslow but RTT thought it was in Ebbw Vale) but it seems to be getting better now. It's a fantastic resource when it works.
That's good then.

It's usually 153s on the Crewe Chester shuttle, theres only a couple of 175 diagrams Crewe - Holyhead or early morning / late evening shuttles.
Best bet for Crewe - Chester 175s is on a Sunday, normally there's plenty there - though obviously not so much at present.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
TfW recently changed it's software and RTT struggled for a while (hence the confusion on these forums when 175101 had it's incident at Wilmslow but RTT thought it was in Ebbw Vale) but it seems to be getting better now. It's a fantastic resource when it works.

Best bet for Crewe - Chester 175s is on a Sunday, normally there's plenty there - though obviously not so much at present.
Thanks Craigy.
175101 is at Arriva Crewe.
Ah ok I thought that one had been moved, must have got confused with 007.

L401CJF

Established Member
175007 is in Chester Yard (by station) at the East end, engine missing from coach facing toward Crewe/Manchester.

175008 I last saw at the North end of Chester depot (towards Bache) furthest away from the running lines hidden behind a wall/fence, top half only visible but clearly scorched. Visible just about from Merseyrail trains and possibly the bridge on Brook Lane. I havnt been up there for a week or 2 now so don't know if its still there.

Envoy

Established Member
An interesting programme with a quirky commentary.
But it might as well have been called Cardiff Railways but for the brief shots of Bow Street station reopening and the inauguration of the 197s "up north".
It was best on the Valleys electrification project, which is otherwise little reported.
The commentary in that programme was dreadful - as if it was trying to make a joke of things.

Philip

On Moderation
Where are all the other 175s based which are currently out of service and receiving their safety check/engine bay clean up?

I've seen 175s 001, 003, 006, 106, 108, 112, 115 and 116 listed for passenger service within the last week or so, a good number still seemingly out of service.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Where are all the other 175s based which are currently out of service and receiving their safety check/engine bay clean up?

I've seen 175s 001, 003, 006, 106, 108, 112, 115 and 116 listed for passenger service within the last week or so, a good number still seemingly out of service.
We were told it was just a matter of inspecting and clearing any debris that had accumulated around the engines and should be done within a few days. I do wonder whether more serious problems have been found if there are only eight in service?

Status
Not open for further replies.