• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Trainee Conductors - Various Locations (31/03/22)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adlee Turner

I would recommend at least a shirt and smart trousers. You want to make an impression and not show the opposite. I can't imagine the guy who turned up in joggers got the job.
I remember when I had my assessment last year for guard and I wasn’t too sure how to dress but thankfully I went for smart casual. I’m just waiting to be put onto a course now

Trainbunny

Machynlleth. And, as if by magic, the conductor training schedule popped into my inbox this morning. I'll be in Chester, starting June 4.
Congratulations! Exciting times ahead. I'm patiently waiting in the pool for a training space for Mach too. How long were you in the pool for?

Tevion539

Machynlleth. And, as if by magic, the conductor training schedule popped into my inbox this morning. I'll be in Chester, starting June 4.
Yeah, all north training is done there. As you're so far from depot you should be put up in a hotel mon-fri with a nightly meal allowance

mickeymac

Congratulations! Exciting times ahead. I'm patiently waiting in the pool for a training space for Mach too. How long were you in the pool for?
Good question, though I'm not sure it's helpful to talk about how long any given person is in the pool as there seem to be many factors in play and it would be easy to inadvertently set expectations incorrectly. For example, I live within walking distance of the depot, which I suspect may be significant.

Good luck, keep swimming and I really hope you get the call soon. You'll feel amazing when it happens :)

Yeah, all north training is done there. As you're so far from depot you should be put up in a hotel mon-fri with a nightly meal allowance
Turns out you're right on the money there. Looking forward to the full-on Alan Partridge 'Travel Tavern' experience. Wonder if there'll be a trouser press to play with? :lol:

Last edited:

JonG184

Good question, though I'm not sure it's helpful to talk about how long any given person is in the pool as there seem to be many factors in play and it would be easy to inadvertently set expectations incorrectly. For example, I live within walking distance of the depot, which I suspect may be significant.

Good luck, keep swimming and I really hope you get the call soon. You'll feel amazing when it happens :)

Turns out you're right on the money there. Looking forward to the full-on Alan Partridge 'Travel Tavern' experience. Wonder if there'll be a trouser press to play with? :lol:
I guess I'll probably see you in Chester then as I'm a couple of weeks behind you. Not sure if Llan Jct is far enough away to stay overnight in Chester though.

Railway1642

Hi all,

I’m in the Talent Pool

Can anyone advise how long training is at the training academy please?

I’m over an hour away from my depot so would be put in a hotel. Interested to know how long I’d be in a hotel for?

TIA

L401CJF

Established Member
Hi all,

I’m in the Talent Pool

Can anyone advise how long training is at the training academy please?

I’m over an hour away from my depot so would be put in a hotel. Interested to know how long I’d be in a hotel for?

TIA
Hi, it's around 3 months classroom based (with 1 taster week working trains with a minder at your home depot), usually a week of nights somewhere in that for traction training.

After the classroom training and rules exam, it's off to your home depot for route learning (depot dependent, usually 2 months or so). You finish off with 4 weeks at your home depot with a minder working trains following whatever shift pattern theyre working.

There is then a pass-out week with your manager (working trains under their supervision to prove you're competent).

You then "pass out" with a handshake from the head of conductors and work a few days "consolidating" ie working each route on your own. You're then put in the link and work your own shifts. The whole process start to finish takes around 6 months. The length varies slightly depending on depot and number of routes to learn. The hotel stay will just be during the classroom period for the first 3 months, Monday to Friday. The final 3 months is at your home depot.

Hope this helps!

I've also been told there are well over 10 courses planned for North depots over the next few years, no idea how true it is as I can't remember who told me! There are loads of trainees on the go at the moment at various stages in the North. I know of 1 course route learning, 1 on minders taster week, 1 on final minders (4 week), and a couple have recently just passed out. Oh and 1 course just started a few weeks ago. It's all go at the moment!

Railway1642

Hi
Hi, it's around 3 months classroom based (with 1 taster week working trains with a minder at your home depot), usually a week of nights somewhere in that for traction training.

After the classroom training and rules exam, it's off to your home depot for route learning (depot dependent, usually 2 months or so). You finish off with 4 weeks at your home depot with a minder working trains following whatever shift pattern theyre working.

There is then a pass-out week with your manager (working trains under their supervision to prove you're competent).

You then "pass out" with a handshake from the head of conductors and work a few days "consolidating" ie working each route on your own. You're then put in the link and work your own shifts. The whole process start to finish takes around 6 months. The length varies slightly depending on depot and number of routes to learn. The hotel stay will just be during the classroom period for the first 3 months, Monday to Friday. The final 3 months is at your home depot.

Hope this helps!

I've also been told there are well over 10 courses planned for North depots over the next few years, no idea how true it is as I can't remember who told me! There are loads of trainees on the go at the moment at various stages in the North. I know of 1 course route learning, 1 on minders taster week, 1 on final minders (4 week), and a couple have recently just passed out. Oh and 1 course just started a few weeks ago. It's all go at the moment!
Hiya,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I’m in the talent pool for Carmarthen.

All the best

L401CJF

Established Member
Hi

Hiya,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I’m in the talent pool for Carmarthen.

All the best
Hi, I was also told there was a similar number of courses for the South (I'm sure there were more planned than North) but again, I can't remember who told me and whether it's credible or not! Either way there are plenty of courses coming all across the network.

Jacob Didcote

Given I pass the group assessment and interview…anyone know the average wait time in the talent pool? I’m waiting for the “how long is a piece of string comment” but last I heard they are pushing people through quite quickly.

Tevion539

Given I pass the group assessment and interview…anyone know the average wait time in the talent pool? I’m waiting for the “how long is a piece of string comment” but last I heard they are pushing people through quite quickly.
For me it was a month or two.

JonG184

I was put in the talent pool in December and due to start in June, so for me it will be six months.

Last edited:

Saxon79

There is a course starting in June and another in August.

Apologies if slightly off topic, but what is the rough wage for a train conductor at the moment? Would it be the same across all TOCs? Thanks in advance

Tevion539

Apologies if slightly off topic, but what is the rough wage for a train conductor at the moment? Would it be the same across all TOCs? Thanks in advance
It's different for every TOC. TfW pay £47035+OT/Comission once qualified, and roughly 30k when training. SWR last time I checked paid roughly 42k once qualified and 25k training for a commercial grade. Northern was about 34k and about 23k training.

Which TOC are you planning on joining? It may be worth starting your own thread or searching the forum.

Thanks, Tevion539.
I‘m considering a change of job, getting a bit stale in my current one. I will have a look through the forum as you suggest.
Are the wages you mentioned for a conductor or driver? I’m surprised that they are this amount for a conductor/guard, unless I’m confusing something?

Tevion539

Thanks, Tevion539.
I‘m considering a change of job, getting a bit stale in my current one. I will have a look through the forum as you suggest.
Are the wages you mentioned for a conductor or driver? I’m surprised that they are this amount for a conductor/guard, unless I’m confusing something?
Examples given are the salary for conductor grades. Some are rough estimates and may be out of date, or slightly off....

The conductor is a safety critical role, it's not just pushing buttons and checking tickets. Whilst the majority of the time days can go by pretty straightforward, you're responsible for the safety of the train and passengers and you have to ensure the train is safe to dispatch before giving your driver the ready to start; or you may end up like the guard in the James street incident ten years ago. You're also there I'm case of emergencies, i.e. if your driver is incapacitated and you need to get a line block etc.

Hope this makes sense.

Examples given are the salary for conductor grades. Some are rough estimates and may be out of date, or slightly off....

The conductor is a safety critical role, it's not just pushing buttons and checking tickets. Whilst the majority of the time days can go by pretty straightforward, you're responsible for the safety of the train and passengers and you have to ensure the train is safe to dispatch before giving your driver the ready to start; or you may end up like the guard in the James street incident ten years ago. You're also there I'm case of emergencies, i.e. if your driver is incapacitated and you need to get a line block etc.

Hope this makes sense.
It does, thank you.

Thanks, JonG184.
Is there a page on the RMT website which you linked, which shows the conductor salary grades for Greater Anglia & Thameslink? I’ve had a quick look but don’t see anything.
TIA

Last edited:

Tevion539

Is there a page on the RMT website which you linked, which shows the conductor salary grades for Greater Anglia & Thameslink? I’ve had a quick look but don’t see anything.
TIA
Unless they've signed a pay deal - I doubt it. As mentioned above - it's worth asking in your own thread about salaries in specific companies. That way someone who has knowledge about greater Anglia/Thames link will see your question easier.

JonG184

It does, thank you.

Thanks, JonG184.
TIA
Sorry, I just found the page by Googling TfW Conductor salaries.