• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Trainee Conductors - Various Locations (31/03/22)

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
No, my daughter has applied she didn’t get a word count. But I assume if your over the system will tell you.

Regards relocation - I think it’s probably dawned that a 60 minute rule is significantly reducing the pool of candidates, it can take 60+ minutes to get into Cardiff from the likes of Newport sometimes only 14 miles away.
Unless it's changed - the questions at the end of the application had a min 250 and max 500 words. I asked a question about this, and was told applications get rejected if people don't meet them. Again, it could've changed. But if there's a word limit specified on questions within the application (i.e. why do you want to work for us?) I'd recommend keeping to them.

I used MS Word to type out my answers and checked for typos and spelling errors. There's also websites out there that you can paste your replies into to check your count.
Thanks for your answers both, really appreciate it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wooden_work

Just did my SCAAT assessment for Trainee Conductor. Think it went well. Don’t think I made any mistakes. Probably did about 15 lines for each test. Maybe a couple less on the different shapes lines. Made up a name for each shape I had to find each line. Seemed to help a lot.

Took about 30 mins not the 45 mins they said it would. Unless of course I messed up so bad they booted me out straight away hahahaha

Keeping my fingers crossed

Jacob Didcote

About my 3rd/4th time apply for conductor now! Hopefully I get through aha. Got through GWR first time a few years back. As for the word limit that someone mentioned previously. Once you hit 500 it stops and prevents you typing anymore. I'm on 411 and it stopped me from typing! :lol:

Tevion539

About my 3rd/4th time apply for conductor now! Hopefully I get through aha. Got through GWR first time a few years back. As for the word limit that someone mentioned previously. Once you hit 500 it stops and prevents you typing anymore. I'm on 411 and it stopped me from typing! :lol:
I didn't know it does this, but it will allow you to submit even if you don't hit the 200 minimum. I know this from previous attempts. I also know for certain they do not consider you if you don't at least get the 200.

Jacob Didcote

I didn't know it does this, but it will allow you to submit even if you don't hit the 200 minimum. I know this from previous attempts. I also know for certain they do not consider you if you don't at least get the 200.

I realised one of my STAR questions from previous attempts was only like 196...explains why it didn't get processed! Although the first attempt for TfW got me into the assessments :lol:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
The stage of my application has been changed to Shortlisting.... I presume that indicates nothing until it changes again?

Just a couple of other questions...
Do Conductors have to do an MMI?
Are the assessments (SCAAT etc) online, or will I have to travel to do them?

Tevion539

The stage of my application has been changed to Shortlisting.... I presume that indicates nothing until it changes again?

No MMI.

Sccat,
Raat,
Ticket selling checking

There's also an assessment day with customer service role plays, team exercises and an interview

JonG184

Anyone else been invited to the assessment day on 26th February in Chester?
I attended one in Chester at the beginning of December and heard a couple of days later that I was in the talent pool. They did mention on the day that they had a course starting this coming Monday, but I'm still waiting for a start date - I know it could be a long wait!

Anyway, good luck for 26th!

Saxon79

I attended one in Chester at the beginning of December and heard a couple of days later that I was in the talent pool. They did mention on the day that they had a course starting this coming Monday, but I'm still waiting for a start date - I know it could be a long wait!

Anyway, good luck for 26th!
Thanks. I do know there is a course in April and one in June. I know someone who attended assessment day in December and starts in April.

Jacob Didcote

Same. Yeah SCAAT, RAAT and TCT is typically all online tests through the OPC. Hoping both of us get somewhere!

Jacob Didcote

It all depends how long shortlisting takes. Mine was offered about a month after applying.
Not bad that to be fair! Hoping as it’s for a Talent Pool I’ll be in it for a while….obvs not too long if a role came around September or October that would be perfect! Can get the rest of my degree out the way!

Saxon79

They need new conductors now. I would say based on what I know and people who I know that applied to be offered a start date, I would say from applying to starting will be between 4-6 months.

Jacob Didcote

They need new conductors now. I would say based on what I know and people who I know that applied to be offered a start date, I would say from applying to starting will be between 4-6 months
Fine by me haha! That would be June/August which is tidy! Given I’m chosen of course!

JonG184

They need new conductors now. I would say based on what I know and people who I know that applied to be offered a start date, I would say from applying to starting will be between 4-6 months.
That would be great - the sooner the better! Good to hear that one of the others on the December assessment day (there were seven of us in total) has already got a start date.

louis767

Hi guys, I have a conductor assessment day coming up soon, can anyone give any advice of what to expect on the day? Any tips would be greatly appreciated

wooden_work

Word of advice, watch out for the direction of travel it catches people out
Thanks. I managed to pick up on that. My only worry is, if someone is travelling the wrong direction, is their starting AND finishing both an error or is that marked as 1 error?

Saxon79

Thanks. I managed to pick up on that. My only worry is, if someone is travelling the wrong direction, is their starting AND finishing both an error or is that marked as 1 error?
I did a few as one error and a few as 2 and I passed.