• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Trainee Conductors - Various Locations (31/03/22)

Tevion539

Also is it usually via email or phone call as I believe it’s then an invite for interview/assessment day. The only confirmation I had of passing the SCAAT and RAAT was an email inviting me to complete the next set of tests.
It's usually an email - I had about 2.5 weeks notice. Others experiences may vary. It was three days later I was in the talent pool. Then about a month I was told I had a start date about 8 weeks later.

As for your other questions:

Recruitment speed will vary based on the number of applicants, depot specific need and possibly other factors. You really need to be patient with the process, you will receive an answer at some point. The question is when, and when is answered by how long is a piece of string?

It's frustrating - but no news is usually good news. Keep the faith.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cw11

Thank you for the reply.

I’ll continue to wait and hope I find out if its a yay or a nay to the next stage sooner rather than later.

Thank you

RyanC87

They have been doing alot of driver assessments and interviews. So once that concludes they should get back to you

Broly

Hi all,

Is anyone starting their course on the 9th October for Cardiff?

Pending my medical on the 22nd, I’ll be starting.

Thanks,

Lewis
Hello,

Are you able to provide any advice and tips for the assessment day as I have got this next week and would appreciate ay help I can get before attending if possible.

Many thanks.

Station32

Anyone know how long it takes to get the results from a medical back? Also what is the next step after tfw receiving your medical report
I got told on the day and on completion of the medical….couple days later a verbal conversation offering contract and start date and then numerous emails with forms to be completed... ie. Right to work, references , history etc

hope this helps

mugatneysface

I got told on the day and on completion of the medical….couple days later a verbal conversation offering contract and start date and then numerous emails with forms to be completed... ie. Right to work, references , history etc

hope this helps
Yeah that's great cheers buddy. Got told on the day I'd past but nothing official from TFW yet. Been offered a verbal start date for beginning of Jan just wanted to know if I should hand my notice in or is that a bit short notice

L401CJF

Established Member
Yeah that's great cheers buddy. Got told on the day I'd past but nothing official from TFW yet. Been offered a verbal start date for beginning of Jan just wanted to know if I should hand my notice in or is that a bit short notice
Wait until you sign the contracts and send them off. When i did it (during covid times so could well work differently now), they got in touch a week or 2 after the medical emailed contract over which needed signing then sending back, after that's all confirmed you're pretty good to go. Believe they then do a reference check before starting.

mugatneysface

Wait until you sign the contracts and send them off. When i did it (during covid times so could well work differently now), they got in touch a week or 2 after the medical emailed contract over which needed signing then sending back, after that's all confirmed you're pretty good to go. Believe they then do a reference check before starting.
Right no probs cheers for that. I've been told 8th of Jan is definitely my start date so need to put my 4 week notice in. What do they send you altogether when you hear back after the medical?

Station32

Right no probs cheers for that. I've been told 8th of Jan is definitely my start date so need to put my 4 week notice in. What do they send you altogether when you hear back after the medical?
A couple emails … proof of identity, background checks ie, references and dbs check and right to work … which you all do electronically!

I’m guessing at some point you will then have a kit list of uniform that you give your sizes etc before your course begins

mugatneysface

A couple emails … proof of identity, background checks ie, references and dbs check and right to work … which you all do electronically!

I’m guessing at some point you will then have a kit list of uniform that you give your sizes etc before your course begins
Cracking cheers for that! Got told on the day I'd passed and been given a start date verbally on the phone just for waiting for it in writing so I can hand my notice in

Tevion539

Cracking cheers for that! Got told on the day I'd passed and been given a start date verbally on the phone just for waiting for it in writing so I can hand my notice in
Exactly how mine went. We started beginning of January too glad to hear you've got a start date finally!

This comes in the same email as the job offer and contracts. Unless it's changed, it was a URL at the bottom of the welcome letter attached to the email.

mugatneysface

Exactly how mine went. We started beginning of January too glad to hear you've got a start date finally!

This comes in the same email as the job offer and contracts. Unless it's changed, it was a URL at the bottom of the welcome letter attached to the email.
Thanks buddy been a long wait but deffo been worth it! At this point should I think about handing in my notice with my current job?

Tevion539

Thanks buddy been a long wait but deffo been worth it! At this point should I think about handing in my notice with my current job?
I would stick to the advice above - wait until the contracts are returned. It shouldn't take them too long to come through (hopefully)

Adlee Turner

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows roughly how long it takes for you have your medical? I was placed in the talent pool on 1st September and still waiting to hear back. Many thanks

Station32

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knows roughly how long it takes for you have your medical? I was placed in the talent pool on 1st September and still waiting to hear back. Many thanks
I think the recruitment team allocate a course for you in the not so distance future , then contact you via telephone conversation and see if that’s agreeable …if it is they then contact their medical practitioner who informs them of available date and time and they email you with said appointment!

I don’t think there is a time frame cast in stone …although…. Put in talent pool in august… medical in November to give you some idea !

hopefully you will get the call soon!

Adlee Turner

I think the recruitment team allocate a course for you in the not so distance future , then contact you via telephone conversation and see if that’s agreeable …if it is they then contact their medical practitioner who informs them of available date and time and they email you with said appointment!

I don’t think there is a time frame cast in stone …although…. Put in talent pool in august… medical in November to give you some idea !

hopefully you will get the call soon!
Ah that’s great, hopefully soon many thanks for the advice

Tevion539

Ah that’s great, hopefully soon many thanks for the advice
It all depends on depot specific requirements. Major depots like Cardiff Mainline might have quicker turn arounds. However, I was in the talent pool for about two months, whilst others on my course were around 18 months. But, COVID didn't help. It's not an easy question to answer sadly. Don't hand in any notices until you have a contract.

jc1983

Hello all! I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me. I've applied for trainee conductor with Northern and passed the first two online tests and I'm waiting to hear further.

Now, my question is about salary. The job description says the salary is £22,331, rising to £29,098 per annum after training (approx 3 months).

The apprenticeship is 12 months, training within the apprenticeship is 12 weeks apparently. Does this mean the salary is £22,331 for the first 3 months of the apprenticeship then £29,098 forthwith? Or does it mean it's £22,331 for the full 12 months, then £29,098 after one years service?

I ask because I'm prepared to drop to £22k for three months as I'm currently on £25k in my food role, but don't think I can manage a full year on £22k. Thanks in advance.

Tevion539

Hello all! I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me. I've applied for trainee conductor with Northern and passed the first two online tests and I'm waiting to hear further.

Now, my question is about salary. The job description says the salary is £22,331, rising to £29,098 per annum after training (approx 3 months).

The apprenticeship is 12 months, training within the apprenticeship is 12 weeks apparently. Does this mean the salary is £22,331 for the first 3 months of the apprenticeship then £29,098 forthwith? Or does it mean it's £22,331 for the full 12 months, then £29,098 after one years service?

I ask because I'm prepared to drop to £22k for three months as I'm currently on £25k in my food role, but don't think I can manage a full year on £22k. Thanks in advance.
Might be worth asking this in a specific thread. However, I believe I recall my mate who works at northern saying it went up at around the 6 month mark. Now, I could be completely wrong as this conversation happened years ago. At TfW, pay goes up once you've done 6 months service, even if you're still route learning.

I'd reiterate my earlier advice and ask in a specific thread for northern, or make your own. But there's nothing stopping you from going through the process and then reading your contract.

jc1983

Might be worth asking this in a specific thread. However, I believe I recall my mate who works at northern saying it went up at around the 6 month mark. Now, I could be completely wrong as this conversation happened years ago. At TfW, pay goes up once you've done 6 months service, even if you're still route learning.

I'd reiterate my earlier advice and ask in a specific thread for northern, or make your own. But there's nothing stopping you from going through the process and then reading your contract.
Apologies I thought this was a thread for all trainee conductor roles, and I've just noticed it's for TFW only. Thanks.

Tevion539

Me again bombarding everyone with questions haha. How long does it roughly take for the travel pass to come back?
It should be no later than 4 weeks. If it's passed this time, email rst and ask your trainer if a temp pass can be issued.

Do you know who is training you yet?

Station32

Me again bombarding everyone with questions haha. How long does it roughly take for the travel pass to come back?
In your offer letter it gives a detailed instructions on applying and a timescale of 4 weeks before start date to ensure delivery for starting… I’m guessing you probably will have it in 2 weeks after applying and 2 weeks before starting with a bit of luck !

At88

Hi all. Sorry, I’m new to this thread so please bear with me I’ve recently been successful with my interview and been given a provisional start date, with my medical being next week. I’ve got no concerns for my health but do take painkillers for an old shoulder injury. Just wondering if this gets tested on the medical and if so, could it lead to a failure? I’ve got my recent prescriptions as proof, if they need to see it. Sorry for the long post, but I’m just really anxious about this as I REALLY want this job.

RyanC87

Hi all. Sorry, I’m new to this thread so please bear with me I’ve recently been successful with my interview and been given a provisional start date, with my medical being next week. I’ve got no concerns for my health but do take painkillers for an old shoulder injury. Just wondering if this gets tested on the medical and if so, could it lead to a failure? I’ve got my recent prescriptions as proof, if they need to see it. Sorry for the long post, but I’m just really anxious about this as I REALLY want this job.
Not likely to show up. There is a list of stuff you can't take. Take the prescription with you and be honest. You won't fail the medical, even if it's one you can't take you'll be sent to the Dr to get a note and change it to something you can take.

Where it would become an issue is when you're working, had an incident then you told them about it. So be up front at medical and like I said worst case scenario is you go back to Dr tell them you're starting a safety critical role and they can advise from there.