• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Trainee Conductors - Various Locations (31/03/22)

At88

Not likely to show up. There is a list of stuff you can't take. Take the prescription with you and be honest. You won't fail the medical, even if it's one you can't take you'll be sent to the Dr to get a note and change it to something you can take.

Where it would become an issue is when you're working, had an incident then you told them about it. So be up front at medical and like I said worst case scenario is you go back to Dr tell them you're starting a safety critical role and they can advise from there.
That’s brilliant. Thank you so much! It’s not the strongest painkiller in the world, but I think I’ve just got some pre-new job nerves. I should add, this is for the conductor role.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cw11

Happy new year all.

I’m yet to hear back from TFW following the TCT that I done 08.12.23. I have sent an email to recruitment to and had no updates. Is it usually this long?

Thank you

mugatneysface

Happy new year all.

I’m yet to hear back from TFW following the TCT that I done 08.12.23. I have sent an email to recruitment to and had no updates. Is it usually this long?

Thank you
Yeah they don't rush these things. I completed mine on 24/8 last year and didn't hear anything until I emailed them about a month later but even when I emailed them it was a week or so before I heard back. Hang on in there and you'll hear soon. From my experience with TFW no news is good news.

cw11

Thanks for that. I had a slight typo there, it was 08.11.23 i completed it. I knew it would be a timely process but the not knowing if Ive passed to the next stage is mind boggling.

dave360

Thanks for that. I had a slight typo there, it was 08.11.23 i completed it. I knew it would be a timely process but the not knowing if Ive passed to the next stage is mind boggling.
With the aptitude tests sometimes if you fail they will not email you back

cw11

I did have a email to apologise for the delay as the results had not been processed when I initially chased it up on the 7th of December but nothing following the email I have sent recently.

I have also signed into my online application and it states the progress as conductor online testing which doesn’t give any indicator of whether I’ve failed or not.
Cross fingers is due to playing catch up following the holidays.

Thank you for the replies :)

Louishunt

Hi guys, I’ve got my SCAAT test to do within the next week. Can anyone advise what the test consists of? And any practice material available? Thanks

Tevion539

Hi guys, I’ve got my SCAAT test to do within the next week. Can anyone advise what the test consists of? And any practice material available? Thanks
It's crossing off shapes. You have to ensure you're consistent and correct. Don't worry about finishing the entire page. Just go at a steady pace and try and cross off as many as possible.

Three sections, three pages each.

Say in section one you're asked to cross off "x", you work your way from left to right, one line at a time crossing off "x" every time you see it.

Section two will usually be the same shape, but read the instructions carefully, plus another shape.

Section three will be another shape plus the shape that's on the start of your current line... For example...

[] X () ( ) / ......

X ( ( )( () \

In this example:
Line one, you'd cross off [] (plus the shape stated in instructions)
Line two, x (plus the shape stated in instructions)

If this is done online, you just click the shape to cross it off. Ensure you click the shape that's the same orientation. The test is there to see that you're able to concentrate when faced with a monotonous task. As for practicing? I'm not sure if any resources apart from the practice tests provided by the OPC.

Hope this helps.

mugatneysface

https://metodorf.com/tests/bourdon_test.php

When I did my SCAAT test I used this to practise. Don't get me wrong it's not the same shapes you'll see in the test for TFW but it's a good way to get your eyes trained for doing the test. Hope this helps

My friend has his conductor assessment day coming up. Could anyone give me any info either on here or via DM on what to expect and research etc please?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not back at work till Wednesday so will be able to ask the guards at my depot then but if I could give him some info now that would be great.

Thanks all.

Tevion539

My friend has his conductor assessment day coming up. Could anyone give me any info either on here or via DM on what to expect and research etc please?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not back at work till Wednesday so will be able to ask the guards at my depot then but if I could give him some info now that would be great.

Thanks all.
Not much is known about what happens at these assessments. Unless someone who's been through it is able to answer. Which no one has, so far. All I know is, there's a group exercise. You have to communicate well. That's about all I know of it.

Thank you. I'll ask around tomorrow and if I can add any info on here for other people's assessments then I will.

Probably won't be till Thursday though as I'm on lates.

mugatneysface

Strange question I know but I was wondering if anyone knew what the deal would be with availability whilst I'm route learning. I'm due to start in mid April but I've got 2 days (afternoons) that month that I can't work. Any advice?

craigybagel

Established Member
Strange question I know but I was wondering if anyone knew what the deal would be with availability whilst I'm route learning. I'm due to start in mid April but I've got 2 days (afternoons) that month that I can't work. Any advice?
Speak to your manager. They're usually pretty flexible and you should be able to fit your route learning around your availability within reason.

Tevion539

To add to Craig's post - some managers are so flexible that they allow you to choose your own hours when route learning, so long as you make up your 35 per week. Just make sure you only take your route exams when you are absolutely ready for it.

Trainbunny

Hi everyone
I've been invited to do the RAAT test, just wondering if you have a set time to read the passage then it disappears, or do you have the passage available when answering the questions?

Tevion539

Hi everyone
I've been invited to do the RAAT test, just wondering if you have a set time to read the passage then it disappears, or do you have the passage available when answering the questions?
If memory serves right, there is a set time. However. I wouldn't worry about the time and just simply focus on answering the questions to the best of your abilities. If you rush and answer all the questions and get enough wrong you won't go through. If you answer (say, 85%*) and get them right you'll be in a better position. *The pass mark is unknown, but it's better to be accurate and consistent than to rush and be wrong.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Hi all,

Thinking of applying for the Trainee Conductor position currently available at Cardiff Mainline.

I'm currently living in Hereford, however there is the option of 'Willing to relocate'... would this affect my application at all? I'd hope not!

Has anyone got any advice for what I could put into my answers in the questions?

Thanks!

Tevion539

Hi all,

Thinking of applying for the Trainee Conductor position currently available at Cardiff Mainline.

I'm currently living in Hereford, however there is the option of 'Willing to relocate'... would this affect my application at all? I'd hope not!

Has anyone got any advice for what I could put into my answers in the questions?

Thanks!
Hi Luke,

Willing to relocate hasn't usually been an option before. They usually say no to anyone applying outside of being an hour away from their chosen depot... This may have changed and if he option is now available, apply. Give it your best shot and if it's good enough I don't see why they would say no. When it comes to the application questions, you will need to make sure you hit the word count. Not doing so will result in your application not being progressed. You have to be safety minded, punctual and then committed to customer service. But I must stress, safety is paramount - theres no good putting customer service ahead of your safety critical duties if someone gets injured. Try and give as much detail and sell yourself in the questions...

Without knowing you or your experience, it's difficult to tell you exactly what to put in there. It's individual to you, and you definitely shouldn't fabricate any answers.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Hi Luke,

Willing to relocate hasn't usually been an option before. They usually say no to anyone applying outside of being an hour away from their chosen depot... This may have changed and if he option is now available, apply. Give it your best shot and if it's good enough I don't see why they would say no. When it comes to the application questions, you will need to make sure you hit the word count. Not doing so will result in your application not being progressed. You have to be safety minded, punctual and then committed to customer service. But I must stress, safety is paramount - theres no good putting customer service ahead of your safety critical duties if someone gets injured. Try and give as much detail and sell yourself in the questions...

Without knowing you or your experience, it's difficult to tell you exactly what to put in there. It's individual to you, and you definitely shouldn't fabricate any answers.
Thanks for your answer.

Re the word count, is that advertised on the application?

Signal_Box

Thanks for your answer.

No, my daughter has applied she didn’t get a word count. But I assume if your over the system will tell you.

Regards relocation - I think it’s probably dawned that a 60 minute rule is significantly reducing the pool of candidates, it can take 60+ minutes to get into Cardiff from the likes of Newport sometimes only 14 miles away.

Tevion539

Thanks for your answer.

Unless it's changed - the questions at the end of the application had a min 250 and max 500 words. I asked a question about this, and was told applications get rejected if people don't meet them. Again, it could've changed. But if there's a word limit specified on questions within the application (i.e. why do you want to work for us?) I'd recommend keeping to them.

I used MS Word to type out my answers and checked for typos and spelling errors. There's also websites out there that you can paste your replies into to check your count.