• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Bilingual Stations Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
And that's exactly what it is. Floor is yours...

You have to have:

Irish for Irish stations
Welsh for Welsh stations
Gaelic for Scottish stations
Kernewek for Cornwall stations

...and so on. You can't mix and match.

Besides, Dublin has more than one station! Which do you mean - Connolly, Heuston, or Pearse?

In this quiz, Dublin can only be Baile Átha Cliath.
Dublin Connolly is Baile Átha Cliath Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile.
Dublin Pearse is Baile Átha Cliath Stáisiún na bPiarsach
Dublin Heuston is Baile Átha Cliath Stáisiún Heuston

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Now that that's been cleared up, let me set the floor with the following station:

Lefel Isel y Mynydd Bychan

backontrack

Established Member
Hereford. Seeing as it's served by ATW, I'll let you off with that, but it isn't strictly in Wales.

How about this: all ATW stations can be posted in Welsh? And, all ScotRail stations + Lockerbie can be posted in Gaelic? Not including sleepers.

Baile Ùr an t-Slèibh

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Hereford. Seeing as it's served by ATW, I'll let you off with that, but it isn't strictly in Wales.

How about this: all ATW stations can be posted in Welsh? And, all ScotRail stations + Lockerbie can be posted in Gaelic? Not including sleepers.

The fact that any station in England can be given a Welsh name just because it is served by the services of Arriva Trains Wales sounds extremely far-fetched in terms of logic.

Just being somewhat a tad over-pedantic, one of the two "Inter-City" stations close to where I live, served by ATW, is that of Wilmslow and I have never seen bi-lingual English/Welsh station signs there....:D:D

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
The fact that any station in England can be given a Welsh name just because it is served by the services of Arriva Trains Wales sounds extremely far-fetched in terms of logic.

Just being somewhat a tad over-pedantic, one of the two "Inter-City" stations close to where I live, served by ATW, is that of Wilmslow and I have never seen bi-lingual English/Welsh station signs there....:D:D

Meh, in that case we'll say that Hereford was a one-off and we'll only allow stations in Wales to be given Welsh names.

THIS IS THE CURRENT STATION:

Baile Ùr an t-Slèibh

backontrack

Established Member
Llandudno Junction

Pensans (Kernewek)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nobody? This is Cornish, it's quite easy.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi guys!

I've edited the first post in the forum to put all of the rules in one place.

Cheers!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Isle of Man also has a thriving rail network, so from now on stations on:

-The Manx Electric Railway (Douglas (Derby Castle)-Onchan-Laxey-Ramsey)
-The Isle of Man Steam Railway (Douglas-Castletown-Port Erin)
and
-The Snaefell Mountain Railway (Laxey-Bungalow-Snaefell)

are permitted. These should be posted in the Manx language. Only certain stops are allowed - that includes all stations on the latter two lines but only these stops on the Manx Electric Railway:

-Douglas (Derby Castle)
-Onchan Head
-Groudle Glen
-Baldrine
-Ballabeg Glen
-South Cape
-Laxey
-Dhoon Glen
-Dhoon Quarry
-Glen Mona
-Ballaglass
-Cornaa
-Ballajora
-Lewaigue
-Ramsey (Plaza)

ALL stations on the Isle of Man must begin with the Stashoon prefix.

In the very recent rules update that was made by the forum quizmaster fishquinn on 17th April and also shown as an update to the quiz rules that are on the very first posting of this new quiz, there is no mention made of MANX as a language to be used upon this quiz.

Can I ask if the forum quizmasters were made aware of this posting, prior to the recent rules revision being made, as I note this posting actually uses the words "ARE PERMITTED" and I see no such forum quizmaster approval given as yet for such a matter to occur.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sorry guys. Stations on the Isle of Man aren't permitted.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Kirkcaldy.

I kind of wish all stations and all languages were valid in this game, as there's a station in West Yorkshire (or is it Lancashire?;)) that in German means "Death Kill"! However that'd be perhaps better as a separate game.

So, try Trefyclawdd...

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Kirkcaldy.

I kind of wish all stations and all languages were valid in this game, as there's a station in West Yorkshire (or is it Lancashire?;)) that in German means "Death Kill"! However that'd be perhaps better as a separate game.

So, try Trefyclawdd...

Knighton.

(And is your other station Todmorden (sp)?)

Caergybi

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder to all. No matter who invented a game it is the Quizmasters who are responsible for the implementation, running and any alterations to that game. If anyone, including the person who came up with the idea, wishes to submit a suggestion for an alteration they must do so to the Quizmasters directly.

Any further discussion around changes to the rules is off-topic and liable for deletion as such. This is a new game so the rules have been somewhat in flux but as of right now we are playing using the rules in the first post.

The current station is:

Pont Rhufenig

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Knighton.

(And is your other station Todmorden (sp)?)

Caergybi

Todmorden was indeed the other. I selected Knighton for the game just to see if anyone would pick up on the oddness of that particular station with regard to the rules. Knighton the place being in Powys but the station itself being over the border in Shropshire!

Haven't a clue on the latest without cheating, though "pont" is "bridge"...

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Fort William

Snaidhm Georgemas
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No takers?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
ComIt's a guess but looking at the second word, is it Georgemas Junction?

Open floor if correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.