• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The electric HST plans.

On Moderation
AFAIK the LSL DVT(s) is the only serviceable brake vehicle cleared for more than 100mph operation. The 3 GWR BFOs were designed to operate at 110mph when based on the WCML, but I suspect GWR maintenance schedules have reduced their current operations to the other vehicles working the Cornish Riviera service.

mods note - split from this thread

The BFOs were designed for 125mph operation: that’s why they were ordered. They were intended for use in the electric HST sets, for which BR had ordered four power cars initially, and there was a need for 125mph guard’s accommodation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The BFOs were designed for 125mph operation: that’s why they were ordered. They were intended for use in the electric HST sets, for which BR had ordered four power cars initially, and there was a need for 125mph guard’s accommodation.
NO electric HSTs were ordered - the only "hardware" produced was a model!

The Mk3 BFOs were intended to operate with class 89s, or something similar; they predated WCML DVTs

On Moderation
NO electric HSTs were ordered - the only "hardware" produced was a model!

The Mk3 BFOs were intended to operate with class 89s, or something similar; they predated WCML DVTs
Construction of four electric HST power cars was approved, but they were later cancelled. The BFOs were ordered - as a variation to the contract for 41 LHCS Mark 3B FOs - for the electric HST. The documents are in the National Archives if you want to check…

Construction of four electric HST power cars was approved, but they were later cancelled. The BFOs were ordered - as a variation to the contract for 41 LHCS Mark 3B FOs - for the electric HST. The documents are in the National Archives if you want to check…
There's a difference between "approved" and "ordered"; none were actually ordered - the project was terminated before it got that far

If the source of your information in the National Archive are BRB Investment Committee papers, please don't interpret everything found in them literally; I think you'll find funding for some class 90s in papers for the North London Line electrification scheme, and some ECML funding was used for class 92 locos.

It's a long time since the Mk IIIa stock was ordered, but my recollection is that all were in a single instruction issued to BREL, along with the last HST trailer Mk IIIs; is there a copy of that instruction in the National Archive, please?

On Moderation
It's a long time since the Mk IIIa stock was ordered, but my recollection is that all were in a single instruction issued to BREL, along with the last HST trailer Mk IIIs; is there a copy of that instruction in the National Archive, please?
I assume you mean Mk IIIb? The Government authorisation was for a build of 60 Mark 3s, which were split 19 HST TS (42323-341) on lot 30983 and 41 LHCS on lot 30982 (111064-104). The last three on lot 30982 were amended to BFOs 17173-175 on lot 30990. I’ve not seen the paperwork on the initial order, just that for lot 30990.

You are correct on the power cars, BREL (and various subcontractors) were at the quoting stage when cancellation occurred.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I assume you mean Mk IIIb? The Government authorisation was for a build of 60 Mark 3s, which were split 19 HST TS (42323-341) on lot 30983 and 41 LHCS on lot 30982 (111064-104). The last three on lot 30982 were amended to BFOs 17173-175 on lot 30990. I’ve not seen the paperwork on the initial order, just that for lot 30990.

You are correct on the power cars, BREL (and various subcontractors) were at the quoting stage when cancellation occurred.
Were the RFM conversions authorised at the same time given 18 Mark 3As FOs were part of the conversion scheme - I believed the reason so many Mark 3B FOs were authorised was to allow some of the 60 Mark 3A FOs to be converted.

rdlover777

i mean, BR had planned to fit 43s with a pantograph during the early planning for the APT-U sets, classed as APT-V, these power cars were referred to as eDP4

Sources: APT-P.com and 25kv.uk
Class 370 eDP4 A.png