• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Journey Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
You're right with your fourth answer - the destination is Sheffield.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Time for a clue:-

1] Approaching the starting station you could also pay your respects to a former Prime Minister.

dzug2

Well that almost certainly makes the starting station Huddersfield - Betjeman liked the façade and there is a statue of one H Wilson nearby

Welshman

Established Member
Well that almost certainly makes the starting station Huddersfield - Betjeman liked the façade and there is a statue of one H Wilson nearby

Huddersfield it is - so you've got the journey, Huddersfield to Sheffield.
Do you know the other two references?

Not to worry - you've got the journey - Huddersfield to Sheffield.
[The model of the L&Y loco and carriage was in the station wall of the old station at Berry Brow and the "piece of pie" refers to the tradition of baking a monster pie to celebrate national events at Denby Dale]

Your turn.

Last edited:

dzug2

Eventually worked out the Denby Dale one but not Berry Brow

I'd better declare open floor

High Dyke

Established Member
I'd better declare open floor
Here goes:

1: Our starting point was thought to be a Danish settlement, but wasn't mentioned in the Domesday Book.
2: During our journey we may be affected by compass points.
3: Along the way you may see have seen an elephant.
4: Our destination was first settled by an Ancient King of the Britons between 292 and 282 BC.

dzug2

A wild guess is Skegness to Grantham - though I can't make much of clues 2 and 3

High Dyke

Established Member
A wild guess is Skegness to Grantham - though I can't make much of clues 2 and 3
Correct indeed. Not as difficult as i first considered...

1: Skegness - One of the most recognised landmarks in the town (The Clock Tower) was erected to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.
2: Sleaford - All the main points of the compass are served by signal boxes; East and West are passed during the journey.
The town name derives from the Old English meaning "Ford over a muddy stream" (Esla-forde)
3: Honington Junction - This closed station is also the winter quarters of a Circus; hence the elephants.
4: Grantham - The town was once a centre for manufacturing, though most has now closed; it is credited with producing the first running diesel engine, in 1892.
A local speciallity - Grantham Gingerbread biscuits - were offered as part of BR's Intercity Afternoon Tea menu.

harry42

1: Our starting point is home of Robin Hood.
2: During our journey you will stop or maybe zoom through a new parkway station for an airport.
3: You are most likely to be on a class 43.
4: Our destination is home of Richard III.

Nice and easy :D

Trainfan344

Established Member
Nottingham to Leicester on a HST passing through or calling at East Midlands Airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.