• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The King has cancer.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I hope Charles makes a full recovery if only because he has 2 sons and several grandchildren who will miss him when he is gone. He might be King by birth ( well by birth and his great uncle flouncing off) but he is a father and husband first and that is what really matters.

The positive is that this might make someone and especially some MEN, go to the drs and get checked for prostate issues or for "something" they are not happy with.
I was thinking that. Old man gets cancer isn't national breaking news this is true. Head of State of country gets cancer however does feel like something that might warrant some coverage...

exactly - especially if "The King’s life is moving peacefully towards its close,” as per George V! ( I don't think it is btw but with no real understanding of his illness it is best to be careful!)

(They do have a history of cancer in the Windsor/Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family but often brought on by smoking)

I also wish the King all the best for the success of his treatent.
On the subject of the BBC coverage, I don’t think it was too bad in comparison to ITV. The BBC only extended their 6 o’clock news by 5 minutes and then broadcast their regional news programmes as normal.
ITV completely cancelled their regional news programmes and had a news programme lasting 90 minutes at 6pm instead.
it is a little OTT but not if the next bulletin from Buck House was: "The King has terminal cancer"

( it is also a good test of the KCIII death processes within the BBC - wouldn't want the presenter wearing the wrong tie!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dangie

Established Member
Absolutely but the person I was replying to was implying that full body MRIs are not available to the masses and that simply is dangerous misinformation.
With all respect, available in theory maybe, but in practice probably not.

There are approx 67 million population in the UK. Of these approx 20% are aged 65+ making approx 13 million. Certainly the NHS couldn’t offer MRI scans to that many as a precautionary measure. As for private scans, would they need a doctors referral? If so that’ll clog the doctors up. If we went private, how many private clinics would we need to accommodate all those who wanted a scan? How would they fit them in amongst their other work? Our health services are working flat out treating people who are ill, without examining the healthy who may become ill.

I think unless you are extremely well off, with private health care, or top of the food chain, just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

azOOOOOma

You can self refer. A grand isn’t much for your average boomer pensioner. Certainly not ‘extremely well off’. If people want to pay their money then that’s up to them. Or they can take their chances with our awful NHS…

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Full body MRI scans are available to all and you can self refer. They cost around a grand. Loose change for your average boomer pensioner or you can get them through my current work benefits package where you can spread the cost. Anyone can get one so I’d recommend people do it.
I'm the same age as Charles, and know many other of what you describe as boomer pensioners. Two or three of them could certainly find that sort of money easily, a few more with a little difficulty and many more not without having to reassess their finances for a while, perhaps having to borrow the money initially. I live in West Cornwall, not Chelsea, Cheadle or Cheltenham, and there's not only a paucity of NHS hospitals, but private ones as well. Full scan MRIs are not dealt out like sweeties down here, regardless of your willingness to pay. The 'around a grand' you quote seems to be accurate to the extent it's certainly a four figure sum, but often nearer to or more than £2,000. On one website which offers 24 locations in England, the nearest to me is Bristol, a round journey of at least seven hours by car and longer by train.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Obviously he will never reign as long as his late mother, but I hope he will make a good few years yet. Get better soon, Charles.
Agreed. However, it may quite possibly be that Prince George will become Prince of Wales sooner than expected. Or will he still have to wait until he is 21? I can't remember the protocol.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I hope Charles makes a full recovery if only because he has 2 sons and several grandchildren who will miss him when he is gone. He might be King by birth ( well by birth and his great uncle flouncing off) but he is a father and husband first and that is what really matters.
That's quite a nice perspective on it, I think

brad465

Established Member
Agreed. However, it may quite possibly be that Prince George will become Prince of Wales sooner than expected. Or will he still have to wait until he is 21? I can't remember the protocol.
He might still get to be Prince of Wales, however as heir apparent he also would become the Duchy of Cornwall owner, where there are restrictions on what minors can do/get from it.

Gloster

Established Member

I don’t think there is any minimum age to be given the title Prince of Wales. However, there might be problems if they were under 18 as this is the minimum age required if they were to be regent should the monarch is incapacitated.

EDIT: Charles was given the title Prince of Wales when he was nine, but the investiture did not take place until he was twenty.

Last edited:

azOOOOOma

I'm the same age as Charles, and know many other of what you describe as boomer pensioners. Two or three of them could certainly find that sort of money easily, a few more with a little difficulty and many more not without having to reassess their finances for a while, perhaps having to borrow the money initially. I live in West Cornwall, not Chelsea, Cheadle or Cheltenham, and there's not only a paucity of NHS hospitals, but private ones as well. Full scan MRIs are not dealt out like sweeties down here, regardless of your willingness to pay. The 'around a grand' you quote seems to be accurate to the extent it's certainly a four figure sum, but often nearer to or more than £2,000. On one website which offers 24 locations in England, the nearest to me is Bristol, a round journey of at least seven hours by car and longer by train.
If a couple of grand and a day out in the car isn’t worth it - then that’s on you. Each to their own.

RT4038

Established Member
If you are really concerned, doubtless you would find the money (as you say by borrowing/giving up on other things) and the time to go to Bristol and have the scan done. If you live in a remote/less populated part of the country these kind of services are not going to be as available as elsewhere.
Wealth will always help buy a better health outcome, but longevity is not guaranteed!

dangie

Established Member
If a couple of grand and a day out in the car isn’t worth it - then that’s on you. Each to their own.
But you are still ignoring the logistics of 13 million 65+ year olds seeking out a full body scan. Put your name down now and you might get one in 2026(ish).

Then there’s the results. One would hope that most receive a clean bill of health but in reality that unfortunately probably won’t happen. Some will undoubtedly test positive for some problem or other. Cancer availability treatments are at breaking point now. The system, NHS or private, couldn’t cope.

RT4038

Established Member
But you are still ignoring the logistics of 13 million 65+ year olds seeking out a full body scan. Put your name down now and you might get one in 2026(ish).

Then there’s the results. One would hope that most receive a clean bill of health but in reality that unfortunately probably won’t happen. Some will undoubtedly test positive for some problem or other. Cancer availability treatments are at breaking point now. The system, NHS or private, couldn’t cope.
Well yes, but that is like any other service (public transport included) - none could cope with a sudden surge in demand for something it had not catered for hitherto. However, I am sure there would be capacity for a small increase of those who are really that concerned.

We all have to die of something, and our society is not geared up fiscally to prolonging everyone's life as long as it can theoretically be. Some people can afford to (by birthright, inheritance, hard work etc) go the extra mile but it is not practicable for all the population.

I certainly don't subscribe to the notion that if everybody can't have one than nobody should.......

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It might be a day out in the car and the Loadsamoney approach for all the people with too much of it who'll mow be seeking unnecessary (in the vast majority of cases) total scan MRIs in a country which has a severe shortage of both radiologists and consultants dealing with cancer patients. As with his enlarged prostate problem, apparently now solved, whereas I've been waiting for treatment other than drugs for more than five years now, it might have been more in the public interest to have either kept quiet at this stage about the cancer or to have been more specific as to the organ(s) concerned, thus confining the needless MRI-seeking to specific areas of the body. The 'wellness' mob of narcissists will now have a field day, at everyone else's expense ultimately.

In case he makes a break for it?
To drop Farage and Rees-Mogg on him to raise his spirits?:D

Trackman

Established Member
Foremost, I wish the King a speedy recovery.

The similar thing happened to a relative of mine who is older than the King, but they actually had prostate cancer.
When he had the all clear from prostate cancer he had gone for blood tests, like very 3 or 6 months or something and that's when it was spotted. He had to have a lengthy operation to remove the other cancer, that was 5 years ago, and he is fine now and back to his old self. The big issue was with the second diagnosis, he was basically told to move home so he could have treatment because of the massive waiting list in that area. He moved about 100 miles away so he could be treated straight away (which he was), leaving the dream retirement flat he bought.

The positive is that this might make someone and especially some MEN, go to the drs and get checked for prostate issues or for "something" they are not happy with.
Indeed, I hope so, with my relative above, he had a couple of classic symptoms like weeing all night but thought it was 'old age' so ignored it.

azOOOOOma

I never once suggested everyone should or could have it done. My original reply was to someone who seemed to think it a near impossibility to get an MRI scan. If you want someone to go along thinking that is the case then that’s for you and your conscience to reconcile should that person not make it because they didn’t think it possible to get a scan and sat waiting for our ‘precious NHS’ to get round to helping.

With cancer early detection is usually key to a successful outcome.

MRI issues aside I think it is great of the King to be open about his prostrate issues and now his cancer issues too. I recall Jade Goody had a massive impact on cervical smear testing. I appreciate that prostate cancer has been ruled out with the King but hopefully prostate issues will be something men can talk about and seek help at an early stage to either rule out cancer or to treat it before it takes hold. I lost two dear uncles to prostate cancer and often wonder if they felt more able to seek help if it would have been a different outcome.

westv

Established Member
It's not prostate cancer but that particular cancer is a strange one. I have read that the majority of men over 80 (I think) will die with it but not because of it.
Are there any other cancers that have such a large "catchment" without actually affecting lifespan?
I also appreciate that others do die from prostate cancer.

Silenos

Who has also recently undergone "routine" surgery and is now expected to be out of action for several months...
I wouldn’t call a hysterectomy routine, exactly. It’s a fairly major operation, which is likely why she remained in hospital for so long afterwards.

gswindale

I wouldn’t call a hysterectomy routine, exactly. It’s a fairly major operation, which is likely why she remained in hospital for so long afterwards.
What is your source? All the reports I'd seen said "routine abdominal surgery". So, on that basis, I would expect to return to normal activities within a couple of weeks.

johntea

Established Member
A slightly odd question but if King Charles dies in the near future (obviously I am hoping it doesn't come to that!) what about all those new bank notes they've been printing since mid 2023 that aren't in circulation yet?

Presumably they would have to circulate what they have and even continue printing them now and then the process would have to start again for William

Typhoon

Established Member
It sounds a little ominous, as Harry is flying back and it's taken a little time for the news of the diagnosis to break. Of course I hope the episode encourages other people to get themselves checked; my dad is about the same age as Charles and every year is a blessing at his age.
I believe that will be one of his prime aims may have been - 'If it can happen to me, ...'which would be somewhat typical of him in recent years.

It might be a day out in the car and the Loadsamoney approach for all the people with too much of it who'll mow be seeking unnecessary (in the vast majority of cases) total scan MRIs in a country which has a severe shortage of both radiologists and consultants dealing with cancer patients.
I suppose it differs from one person to another but in your position I wouldn't want to drive, I would be too worried about the tests and the results, the 'What if ...'. I find it bad enough waiting for the results of the biennial test for bowel cancer. When I had not heard back once, I had assumed something was wrong, until I finally got a response - delayed in the post - needed to take another test.

The point in italics is well made. There are too many people putting it off when there are symptoms as it is, the last thing we need is to give them a further reason - ' there is a six month waiting list' . I have a relative who was in that position, put it off, by the time he realised it was serious and was tested, it was too late and passed away at 43. Could he have gone private - not on not much above minimum wage!

brad465

Established Member
If you’re not getting enough Royal Family coverage, sign up for the BBC’s ‘Royal Watch Newsletter’
You'd have to be really sycophantic towards the royals to think the level of coverage they've been getting isn't enough (thinking the wellwishers who camp out ahead of street processions like the Coronation).
A slightly odd question but if King Charles dies in the near future (obviously I am hoping it doesn't come to that!) what about all those new bank notes they've been printing since mid 2023 that aren't in circulation yet?

Presumably they would have to circulate what they have and even continue printing them now and then the process would have to start again for William
They probably would still release them, but I can see them becoming very valuable collector's items if few in number. They were still releasing notes with the late Queen on, as well as coins that were already well in the pipeline at the time of her death, albeit the lag on coins is much shorter. If they just bin them all questions about wastage will be very high, both in terms of physical resources and money spent on the design.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What is your source? All the reports I'd seen said "routine abdominal surgery". So, on that basis, I would expect to return to normal activities within a couple of weeks.
I was going to ask much the same question. The above post is the only mention I've seen of any details about the Princess of Wales's medical treatment- though I haven't sought out any further details because frankly it is not my business nor anyone else's. Medical information is rightly a private matter even for public figures, unless they choose to make it public.

Silenos

I was going to ask much the same question. The above post is the only mention I've seen of any details about the Princess of Wales's medical treatment- though I haven't sought out any further details because frankly it is not my business nor anyone else's. Medical information is rightly a private matter even for public figures, unless they choose to make it public.
It was being discussed as such on social media in Ireland while I was there, though I have no proof and am not terribly interested. I would say that in my experience the length of time she was in hospital and the subsequent statements about it being several months before she resumes duties are not typical of routine abdominal surgery and suggest a fairly major procedure.

dangie

Established Member
Not Royalty, but no matter who you are, how healthy & fit you are, cancer can affect us all.

Six-time Olympic cycling champion Sir Chris Hoy says he is "optimistic, positive and surrounded by love" after revealing he was diagnosed with cancer last year.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not Royalty, but no matter who you are, how healthy & fit you are, cancer can affect us all.

Six-time Olympic cycling champion Sir Chris Hoy says he is "optimistic, positive and surrounded by love" after revealing he was diagnosed with cancer last year.
The lifetime risk of American men developing any form of cancer in their lifetime is 41.6%, and prostate cancer about 13%. UK figures overall may be slightly higher, Cancer Research say 'almost 50%', so almost one in two, so anyone who's not a hermit will come across many people in their lifetime with it, even if they are fortunate enough not to contract it themselves.