• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"The North Of England Is Getting A Rough Deal" discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddythefish

On Moderation
And herein lies the heart of the problem. Why is it that some crappy one-bed, ex-Council flat goes for over 10x the national average wage? It's because pretty much all the most attractive employment is in that area, so London has developed it's own hyper-inflation. Scotland / NI should they stay long term in the control of Westminster. I'm going to be controversial now & say that once Crossrail, and maybe Crossrail 2 have been funded then that's your lot London. No more tunnels for you guys, it's time to move the investment away elsewhere.

The taxpayer should not pay for Crossrail2. If London wants another crossrail line it should pay for it itself.

Some very good points in that long post. The justification for continuing transport spending and other investment in London is addressing the symptom rather than the cause - which is that economic activity is concentrated in one small part of the country instead of nationwide.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Moonshot

Established Member
Oh so because Newcastle is already electrified, the millions of pounds of investment it will be getting doesn't count.

There are plenty of local routes in/around Manchester which aren't going to see any improvements in the forseeable future e.g. the Liverpool-Warrington-Manchester line

Perhaps you'd like to contact The Times which published the figures and only gave the top 10 and bottom 10 and then the top 4 outside Greater London and ask them for the rest of the figures? I can't quote figures which are just sat in some reporter's Excel spreadsheet.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Why don't you look at the link I just posted? That option was never on the table. The option was for a tram-train every 20 minutes to Knutsford as part as of a project costing £160m, which has been dismissed as poor value for money. It's pointless even discussing a 12 minute frequency when a 20 minute frequency has been dismissed.

Anyway I think the answer is no if they were also offered 3tph to Manchester on a new line taking 30 minutes. The 15 minutes saved in journey time would more than make up for less services and some people being further from their final destination.

All I asked was a simple yes or no......

Personally I think they would say yes.....a once every 12 minute service into Manchester would be a huge advance on what happens now in terms of frequency.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
All I asked was a simple yes or no......

Personally I think they would say yes.....a once every 12 minute service into Manchester would be a huge advance on what happens now in terms of frequency.

I gave you the answer of 'no' and my reasons why. No because it's not an option that's considered viable and there's a potentially viable heavy rail option which would benefit more people. If the idea of an Airport-Mobberley line had been dismissed by Network Rail then it would be a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonshot

Established Member
I gave you the answer of 'no' and my reasons why. No because it's not an option that's considered viable and there's a potentially viable heavy rail option which would benefit more people. If the idea of an Airport-Mobberley line had been dismissed by Network Rail then it would be a different story.

Which actually could happen if the age of austerity materialises on the rail network, particularly now that rail debt sits directly on the States Books.

sprinterguy

Established Member
So there's not a direct link from a town to a stately home over ten miles away? And that's evidence of how rough things are up here?

Those from London will be reading this thread as an updated middle class version of the Four Yorkshiremen sketch! Ee lad, we had to traipse to reach t'flower show.
I'm not usually one for these new-fangled "Like" buttons that we have on social media these days, but if this forum had one, then this would be "Liked". :lol:
Bolton gets around eight trains an hour to central Manchester (plus a similar number in the opposite direction split between Southport, Blackpool, Clitheroe etc) - Sunderland gets one train an hour in each direction (either a 142 or a 156) - plus a handful of GC 180s.

No wonder Bolton gets such a good deal.

Yes - Stockport has always had longer/ faster trains as it's on the route to Birmingham/ London - there are always going to be some stations that get a better service because they happen to be on a main line to somewhere else.
Exactly: It can be very easy to make a particular location look “hard done by” if you compare it with one that benefits from a historical decision to route the main London rail route through the town: You could make a similar case, to the Bolton versus Stockport argument, in North East England by comparing Newcastle to Durham/Darlington with Newcastle to Sunderland/Middlesbrough: One has several fast, Intercity or regional services per hour to a wide range of national destinations utilising primarily fairly modern rolling stock, while the other corridor has a single, aged, Northern Rail train per hour that serves that corridor alone (Plus the GC bits in recent years).

Oh, but not forgetting the light rail system between Newcastle and Sunderland which, as far as I can tell, jcollins’ makes out its’ equivalent in Manchester to be one of the primary reasons why Manchester is so hard done by, yet is such a positive boon to the inhabitants of Tyne and Wear. :|

Even with all this in mind Bolton still comes out head and shoulders above Sunderland, and even more so the other rail-served towns down the Durham Coast route, and elsewhere in the North East (Hartlepool, Stockton, Saltburn and Bishop Auckland all still exist, too! ;)).

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Oh, but not forgetting the light rail system between Newcastle and Sunderland which, as far as I can tell, jcollins’ makes out its’ equivalent in Manchester to be one of the primary reasons why Manchester is so hard done by, yet is such a positive boon to the inhabitants of Tyne and Wear. :|

???

I've been trying to make the point you shouldn't be comparing Manchester to Newcastle if you're trying to compare the North East to the North West. Carlisle-Newcastle services go through both regions but yet no-one seems to bring up how well they serve Cumbria.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Oh so because Newcastle is already electrified, the millions of pounds of investment it will be getting doesn't count.

There are plenty of local routes in/around Manchester which aren't going to see any significant improvements in the forseeable future e.g. the Liverpool-Warrington-Manchester line
Okay, so, the East Coast main line through North East England is electrified, and the Tyne and Wear Metro (light rail) network is electrified…So that leaves all the commuter routes served by local trains (Northern Rail) in the area un-electrified, or continuing to be served by diesel trains.

The Tyne and Wear Metro is presently seeing extensive investment to refurbish thirty-odd year old stations and rolling stock, it is true, as most of the original infrastructure is either dated or essentially life expired, but as tbtc says there hasn’t been an extension to the network in over a decade and the system largely manages with the same equipment and infrastructure as it did when it first opened. Metrolink, meanwhile…

Newcastle station is currently/has recently undergone an extensive refurbishment to the concourse, and Sunderland station was tarted up a few years back (although without making any meaningful changes to the facilities on the concourse).

Perhaps I have missed a post somewhere, but what other rail investment is the North East of England expected to see before the end of the decade? Blyth and Tyne passenger services, and the Tees Metro, seem to remain little more than pipe dreams, and the upcoming investment in rolling stock that serves the North East is more of a peripheral benefit from services into and out of the region (East Coast, TPE) rather than levelled at services within the region itself.

To paraphrase your line, there are plenty of local routes in the North East which aren't going to see any significant improvements in the forseeable future e.g. the Durham Coast line, the Tyne Valley line, etc…

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
The taxpayer should not pay for Crossrail2. If London wants another crossrail line it should pay for it itself.

Some very good points in that long post. The justification for continuing transport spending and other investment in London is addressing the symptom rather than the cause - which is that economic activity is concentrated in one small part of the country instead of nationwide.

The (non-London) taxpayer is only paying a small part of Crossrail, i.e. over 60% of the totla cost is coming from London sources so not costing areas that do not benefit from it.
This is similar to the model that Paris has used since the RER era started. Some other cities have also adopted similar models. If businesses elsewhere wanted significant transport infrastructure, they would be free to contribute over half of the cost, (obviously much smaller schemes are needed so their contributions would be correspondingly less).

sprinterguy

Established Member
???

I've been trying to make the point you shouldn't be comparing Manchester to Newcastle if you're trying to compare the North East to the North West. Carlisle-Newcastle services go through both regions but yet no-one seems to bring up how well they serve Cumbria.
In terms of urban areas, why ever not? I don't think that you can simply decide that Manchester light rail = Bad, Tyne & Wear light rail = Good, and in terms of influence and interaction with surrounding towns, Newcastle is clearly Manchester’s equivalent for the North East of England, it’s just that the population sizes are scaled down: I have no problem with that, and am happy to accept a local transport plan that is similarly scaled down proportionately, but I am not sure that even that is being achieved.

Speaking of which, to return to the original point of this thread, have we examined the level of public transport investment against population density for the South East versus Northern regions? Ideally, I think that an equal share of investment, per head of population, should be the sort of model that we are working to, and just wonder whether this is in any way the case at present.

muddythefish

On Moderation
The (non-London) taxpayer is only paying a small part of Crossrail, i.e. over 60% of the totla cost is coming from London sources so not costing areas that do not benefit from it.
This is similar to the model that Paris has used since the RER era started. Some other cities have also adopted similar models. If businesses elsewhere wanted significant transport infrastructure, they would be free to contribute over half of the cost, (obviously much smaller schemes are needed so their contributions would be correspondingly less).

Crossrail is costing £15bn or thereabouts so that makes roughly £6bn coming from "non-London" sources which I presume is the rest of the country's taxpayers.

Now don't get me wrong because I support any rail development but £6bn spent around the country would be transformational. Imagine £6bn chucked at the North East for instance ?

London is always boasting about its wealth - I just think if London wants further improvements to its infrastructure it should pay for them itself.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
In terms of urban areas, why ever not? I don't think that you can simply decide that Manchester light rail = Bad, Tyne & Wear light rail = Good

This thread was about heavy rail until moonshot dragged it off-topic with his usual overselling of Metrolink. I've not many any comments about light rail in the North East in this thread.
Okay, so, the East Coast main line through North East England is electrified, and the Tyne and Wear Metro (light rail) network is electrified…So that leaves all the commuter routes served by local trains (Northern Rail) in the area un-electrified, or continuing to be served by diesel trains.

The original point I made was

Well Newcastle is getting a lot of investment as well with a £8.6m station redevelopment, new IEP trains and likely a half-hourly electric service to/from Liverpool. So if you want to focus only on the main cities in the North then the North East is doing just as well as the North West

Which tbtc dismissed as insignificant because of there no electrification of local routes unlike in the North West.

In terms of urban areas, why ever not?

So if Newcastle should be comparable to Manchester then why shouldn't the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol etc. be comparable to London?

Wolfie

Established Member
The answer is simple. Reduce all costs of everything in "the beautiful South" to the average levels "up North"....then you will the qualify for the not inconsiderable benefits of train lengths of two or three coach services as a maximum and the best of all, cascadation of all the ex-Merseyrail Class 142 Pacers to your area...:D

My heart overflows at your kind beneficence..... ;) However I'd hate to deprive you of your accustomed hen-coops....:D

Oswyntail

Established Member
.... Ideally, I think that an equal share of investment, per head of population, should be the sort of model that we are working to, and just wonder whether this is in any way the case at present.
Sounds very democratic - but, sadly, wrong. Investment by the UK should be based on improving the lot of the UK as a whole, and one of the benefits of having national government is that it can take a larger view. The debate should be (and has been referred to in these terms several times in this thread): where should investment be targeted for the greater good of the country as a whole? I firmly believe that providing improved infrastructure in areas outside the SE would enable economic growth that would outstrip the stifling effect the current infrastructure in the SE has. Others differ. Simply doing things on headcount would deny meaningful investment to most of the country in perpetuity.

tbtc

Veteran Member
There is no alternative anywhere. Transport is necessary in all cities. Driving should never be a viable alternative to public transport in urban areas

...yet we spent large sums of money in post-war years building motorways (and fast dual carriageways) into/around/by the centres of many "northern" cities:

• Manchester has the M602, A57M and a busy ring road
  • Leeds has the M621, A58(M) and a busy ring road
  • Newcastle has the A167(M)
  • Sheffield has the A57 and a busy ring road (albeit not completed until a few years ago - the previous version put the dual carriageways right through the middle of the city, hiding the people in underpasses below)

...so driving through these urban areas is clearly an alternative to public transport (as can be seen by anyone stuck on Armley Gyratory/ Sheffield Parkway/ Mancunian Way etc at rush hour).

...London has, erm, not a lot - it spent its money on public transport rather than these inner city motorways. This is part of the reason why London is much more dependent upon its public transport.

And herein lies the heart of the problem. Why is it that some crappy one-bed, ex-Council flat goes for over 10x the national average wage? It's because pretty much all the most attractive employment is in that area, so London has developed it's own hyper-inflation. So why has this happened, because too many people & too many jobs are being shoehorned into too small of a space. It's been my argument all along, it's time for the government to invest elsewhere to try to encourage business out of London and into the rest of the country to take off some of the strain.

Of course it won't be easy as business in general seems highly reluctant to move, but this isn't necessarily down to purely business reasons. There's an almost crack-like addiction to operating out of London, usually justified because that's where the best people are. But of course this just isn't true. Much like an addict, business is ignoring a simple fact. Many of the people don't actually come from London at all, they hail from right across the nation. So in order to attract them in they have to offer higher wages, which in turn leads to higher demand on housing, goods & services & results in the mirco-inflation zone we see today. And worse still business doesn't want to acknowledge the downside of it's addiction, the real cost. On top of inflated wages, how much money is lost every year because of delays & disruptions to the infrastructure in & around London? And how many of those disruptions occur because the system is at straining point in the first place? I'll wager that if you were able to calculate the real cost per London based business, it would scare the pants of them. It seems that over the decades every new infrastructure upgrade, be it road or rail has just encouraged more usage & any spare capacity gobbled up. How much longer do we keep chucking money at the place in order to try to resolve a problem that just keeps getting worse?

You should explain to these multi-million/billion pound firms that they'd save huge sums of money if they relocated to Bradford...

Got to deal with the reality of where things are, and have public transport serve that.

I suppose it can be viewed as something as a local tourist attraction, but in the words of the old saying...."Reet gud ter look at, but now't in way of trains to run over it"

Just the same as the Cambrian redoubling and other infrastructure projects then?

There are always going to be examples of newly built/newly electrified bits of line that don't have stock available on day one, just as there'll be examples of spare stock available waiting for infrastructure improvements before they can be put into service.

This suggests that there isn't one and I'm not already playing...

:lol:

That was in response to moonshot who said Metrolink's a suitable alternative to heavy rail. The same potential problem would apply for any Advance ticket available from Altrincham if you connected using Metrolink not just Advance tickets to London. I said London because of the greater availability of Advance tickets compared to other destinations

For most passengers on the current Metrolink map (95%? 99%?), it is a reasonable alternatie to heavy rail though.

I know you'll come up with a far fetched example to try to prove your point, and I accept that there will be some cases like an Altrincham passenger headed in to Manchester to take a connection to London, but we spend far too much time worrying about these small number of journeys.

You've read the comment out-of-context. Moonshot was claiming the North East has it bad in comparison to the North West. I was saying that an alternative view of the limited Middlesbrough-Whitby is that there is a direct service between the two when Whitby's only a small town. If Whitby wasn't a tourist hot spot people wouldn't care about having a link to a very small town over 20 miles away. In comparison, one of the busiest tourist attractions in the North of England doesn't have good transport links to large settlements nearby.

There's a direct service from Middlesbrough to Whitby a few times a day, but I could find examples of places all over the UK not connected by a direct public transport service.

The fact that Stagecoach/ Arriva/ Network Warrington etc don't think a bus service from Warrington to a stately home over ten miles away (and neither the local council nor the National Trust want to fund such a service) isn't going to convince anyone that it's grim up north, sorry.

And this is the usual scare story used in London to justify London!
Business leaders are not stupid. They will locate where it is most economical for their business to locate. In an era of faster travel and better communications, being close to the customer is of less importance than it used to be. Cost of facilities and access to quality staff at a good price are equally likely to be drivers. However, this does depend on having access to the "faster travel and better communications", and the staff being available at the right price. It is the latter aspect that is likely to damage London in the medium term, with the localised hyper-inflation pushing up staff costs to unsustainable levels. So the question is really whether to make it easier for staff to travel to London, or to improve the infrastructure outside London. A sensible government would embrace both.
The threat is not that business will leave for Paris, Berlin, Brussels etc. It is that it will leave for Rheims, Erfurt, Mons

Why don't these profit hungry businesses move north then?

Staff wages would obviously be cheaper if they relocated north, there are thousands of intellegent graduates churned out by "northern" Universities every year, so no problem with "quality staff". As I've mentioned before on here, I got a job in Leeds a few years ago because the company decided to move a hundred jobs from central-ish London to Yorkshire "to take advantage of lower local labour costs".

Does anyone think that massive businesses were about to locate from Canary Wharf to Bradford, but decided not to because they don't want their staff travelling on a Pacer? How paternalistic.

Oh so because Newcastle is already electrified, the millions of pounds of investment it will be getting doesn't count

No new heavy rail electrification around Newcastle for 20/25 years, no scope of it either. Plenty heavy rail electrification around Manchester at the moment, but you don't seem to realise how much better off Manchester is.

There are plenty of local routes in/around Manchester which aren't going to see any significant improvements in the forseeable future e.g. the Liverpool-Warrington-Manchester line

I thought that the Warrington Central lines was going to see six coach 185s as part of this half hourly Liverpool - Sheffield service (extending to Hull or Nottingham)?

All those Sprinters/ Pacers freed up by electrification are going to be kicking around, allowing capacity increases on lines not currently being electrified.

Or are you saying that because not every line in/around Manchester is being electrified in the next five years then Manchester is hard done by? (note that not every line in/around London is electrified or about to be electrified)

The taxpayer should not pay for Crossrail2. If London wants another crossrail line it should pay for it itself

...so Manchester should pay for any further national rail investments too?

The justification for continuing transport spending and other investment in London is addressing the symptom rather than the cause - which is that economic activity is concentrated in one small part of the country instead of nationwide.

That "one small part of the country" sees significantly more demand than anywhere else though. London Underground carries as many passengers as the whole national rail network. Got to deal with the reality of where people want to travel.

Even with all this in mind Bolton still comes out head and shoulders above Sunderland, and even more so the other rail-served towns down the Durham Coast route, and elsewhere in the North East (Hartlepool, Stockton, Saltburn and Bishop Auckland all still exist, too! ;)).

Agreed - Saltburn is well worth a visit for anyone looking for a proper British seaside - still got the pier, still got the "Cliff Lift" inclined tramway, much nicer than Blackpool/ Whitby/ Scarborough/ Cleethorpes in my book.

London is always boasting about its wealth - I just think if London wants further improvements to its infrastructure it should pay for them itself.

Maybe since Altrincham is apparently so wealthy, it should pay for all of its own investments too?

Wolfie

Established Member

Given that the London taxpayer massively subsidises the rest of the country Boris ss seeking more control mover taxes raised in London. Numpty comments like yours will gain him support.

I am happy that London pays for Crossrail 2. Of course at the same time subsidies to Northern (approx 50p per passenger mile!) should stop immediately!

Moonshot

Established Member
Given that the London taxpayer massively subsidises the rest of the country Boris ss seeking more control mover taxes raised in London. Numpty comments like yours will gain him support.

I am happy that London pays for Crossrail 2. Of course at the same time subsidies to Northern (approx 50p per passenger mile!) should stop immediately!

And if we were to say that our equivalent of crossrail in manchester in terms of investment is Metrolink, it also recieves no operating subsidy. You can see why the powers that be have been very keen to implement this where practical, and if that means some of the urban routes into manchester get converted to that method of operation, then there can be no complaints from the passenger who gets a minimum of 5 trams per hour, nor the taxpayer.

muddythefish

On Moderation

Arrogant nonsense we have come to expect from southerners.

London's has had tens of billions of taxpayers money thrown at it in recent decades - it's no wonder it is thriving. And we're all supposed to celebrate because somehow "investing" (subsidising) in London benefits the country as whole.

What about the majority of people in this country who do not live in the south east ? Don't they deserve investment too ?

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
For most passengers on the current Metrolink map (95%? 99%?), it is a reasonable alternatie to heavy rail though.

I know you'll come up with a far fetched example to try to prove your point, and I accept that there will be some cases like an Altrincham passenger headed in to Manchester to take a connection to London, but we spend far too much time worrying about these small number of journeys.

I was originally commenting the hypothetical example of what would happen if all the local services were withdrawn and why Intercity services would be affected by it but people seem to conclude that the likes of Virgin and East Coast provide Advance tickets from local stations to London for a market which doesn't exist!

There's a direct service from Middlesbrough to Whitby a few times a day, but I could find examples of places all over the UK not connected by a direct public transport service.

Exactly! The point I was making was a few direct services per day isn't necessarily a bad thing because there's other examples where there is no direct service.

The fact that Stagecoach/ Arriva/ Network Warrington etc don't think a bus service from Warrington to a stately home over ten miles away (and neither the local council nor the National Trust want to fund such a service) isn't going to convince anyone that it's grim up north, sorry.

There's a lot of political issues with bus operations in the area.

Warrington Borough Transport (who own Network Warrington) fell out with Cheshire County Council, which meant that limited cross boundary services remained - just Northwich to Warrington I think.

Arriva took over Star Line Travel who were the main operator in Knutsford and also their main rival in the South Manchester area. Star Line had 3 depots - Knutsford (buses and coaches), Wythenshawe (buses) and the Airport (coaches). They chose to keep one of the depots - Wythenshawe making bus services in the Knutsford area a less attractive option.

Stagecoach's operations which are in Cheshire are the former GM Buses South (which just extend to Wilmslow) and Chester City Transport operations so Tatton Park doesn't sit nicely in their operating area. Also Stagecoach Manchester said a few years back they aren't going to launch any new commercial operations and no plans to do so in the future.

I thought that the Warrington Central lines was going to see six coach 185s as part of this half hourly Liverpool - Sheffield service (extending to Hull or Nottingham)?

All those Sprinters/ Pacers freed up by electrification are going to be kicking around, allowing capacity increases on lines not currently being electrified.

Well you seemed to dismiss the prospect of a 4 car EMU between Newcastle and Liverpool every 30 minutes and potential DMU cascades strengthen services in the North East as nothing compared to the Manchester area earlier, so I didn't think you'd think the potential CLC line improvements would be seen as significant.

It's 25% less than what you quote - it's around 40p per mile and dropping year on year.

Should Southeastern's 13p per passenger mile subsidy and London Midland's 14.6p per passenger mile subsidy also stop immediately? (LM's isn't dropping year on year while Southeastern's is actually increasing year on year!)

SWTCommuter

It's 25% less than what you quote - it's around 40p per mile and dropping year on year.

Should Southeastern's 13p per passenger mile subsidy and London Midland's 14.6p per passenger mile subsidy also stop immediately? (LM's isn't dropping year on year while Southeastern's is actually increasing year on year!)

Northern (increasing)
2012-13 .... 40.7p
2011-12 .... 34.9p
2010-11 .... 32.4p
2009-10 .... 37.7p

London Midland (decreasing)
2012-13 .... 14.6p
2011-12 .... 15.8p
2010-11 .... 17.1p
2009-10 .... 22.1p

Southeastern (decreasing)
2012-13 .... 13.0p
2011-12 .... 13.1p
2010-11 .... 18.1p
2009-10 .... 15.1p

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rail-subsidy-per-passenger-mile

Senex

Established Member
Others have written about the sheer volume of taxpayers' money going into the South-East even after local contributions have been taken into account (with Crossrail representing a major step forward in this sort of funding), so I'd like to try a rather different point. The new infrastructure in London seems to benefit from best-possible design which remains pretty good even after the inevitable de-speccing has happened. Look at St Pancras and Stratford for HS1 (not St Pancras MML!), the connections of Crossrail into the existing railway, the Thameslink 2000 planning, the splendid layout going in at Reading, etc. Then compare them with the by comparison very modest plans for the Northern Hub (for example, the Ordsall Curve will involve a string of flat junctions that will limit eventual capacity and be a nightmare for time-keeping), the lack of any progress on eliminating the Newark Crossing, sorting out Doncaster, solving the Sheffield track-capacity issues, and the problems that still remain at York, etc. On rolling stock others have made the argument out much better than I could, but one point to add would be to raise the question of what sort of civil service could allow TPE, one of the two principal cross-country inter-city operators in the north of England, to acquire diesel trains that cannot take advantage of higher speed limits on lines like Selby to Hull and Sheffield to Manchester and electric trains to run on a 110-mph railway (for conventional stock) that are not allowed to run above 100 mph.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Northern (increasing)
2012-13 .... 40.7p
2011-12 .... 34.9p
2010-11 .... 32.4p
2009-10 .... 37.7p

London Midland (decreasing)
2012-13 .... 14.6p
2011-12 .... 15.8p
2010-11 .... 17.1p
2009-10 .... 22.1p

Southeastern (decreasing)
2012-13 .... 13.0p
2011-12 .... 13.1p
2010-11 .... 18.1p
2009-10 .... 15.1p

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rail-subsidy-per-passenger-mile

I looked at the "Revenue support (pence per mile)" column mistakenly thinking it indicated the change from previous year when what it actually shows is Northern are on revenue share (because they are making more money than the terms the franchise is let on), Southeastern are on revenue support (because they are making less money than the terms the franchise is let on) and London Midland aren't on either.

Interesting to note some of London Midland reduction seems to relate to them paying less to Network Rail, presumably as a result of replacing 150s with 172s with 172s having low track access charges (even compared to Pacers.)

Peter Lanky

As long as we have people believing that London subsidises the rest of the country with no evidence whatsoever, we are never going to have much meaningful dialogue.

However, if somebody was to try to quantify the claim, without leaving out the important bits (for example, almost forcing a significant proportion the best young talent in the country to move there), then we could at least discuss it amicably.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Others have written about the sheer volume of taxpayers' money going into the South-East even after local contributions have been taken into account (with Crossrail representing a major step forward in this sort of funding), so I'd like to try a rather different point. The new infrastructure in London seems to benefit from best-possible design which remains pretty good even after the inevitable de-speccing has happened. Look at St Pancras and Stratford for HS1 (not St Pancras MML!), the connections of Crossrail into the existing railway, the Thameslink 2000 planning, the splendid layout going in at Reading, etc. Then compare them with the by comparison very modest plans for the Northern Hub (for example, the Ordsall Curve will involve a string of flat junctions that will limit eventual capacity and be a nightmare for time-keeping), the lack of any progress on eliminating the Newark Crossing, sorting out Doncaster, solving the Sheffield track-capacity issues, and the problems that still remain at York, etc. On rolling stock others have made the argument out much better than I could, but one point to add would be to raise the question of what sort of civil service could allow TPE, one of the two principal cross-country inter-city operators in the north of England, to acquire diesel trains that cannot take advantage of higher speed limits on lines like Selby to Hull and Sheffield to Manchester and electric trains to run on a 110-mph railway (for conventional stock) that are not allowed to run above 100 mph.

Good post.

Councillors and MPs were having a party in Blackburn and Darwen the other week when, after a decade of campaigning, permission to redouble 2 miles of the Bolton line was finally granted (cost £13m!!)

Permission from London civil servants to redouble the whole 15 miles or so (as used to exist until the 1970s/80s) might eventually happen circa 2050.

As for electrification of Bolton-Clitheroe and Preston-Colne about 2100?

The point is, the rest of the country always gets the crumbs under the investment table only after London has finished gorging itself.

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
As long as we have people believing that London subsidises the rest of the country with no evidence whatsoever, we are never going to have much meaningful dialogue.

There isn't one rail franchise that has been profitable for all of the last 4 years and the only one that's been profitable for 3 of the last 4 is FCC and that will of course change when the franchise is split up. The profitable franchises combined can't even subside Anglia never mind Northern.

Wolfie

Established Member

However, if somebody was to try to quantify the claim, without leaving out the important bits (for example, almost forcing a significant proportion the best young talent in the country to move there), then we could at least discuss it amicably.

...tell that to Boris!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/mayo...h-that-capital-makes-for-britain-7618555.html

yorksrob

Veteran Member

The problem is, the high subsidy per passenger mile for Northern is in some ways an artificial problem created by the way in which the railways were carved up. Nowhere else have long rural and short suburban routes been completely separated away from their own main lines in the same way.

Cornwall branches are cross subsidised by the main line, same for Greater Anglia. Even the Wales and Scotland franchises contain some important main lines.

Really Northern should have been reunited with it's main line regional network (currently TPE) then we would have had a subsidy figure somewhere between the two, rather than such a controversially high outlier.

Certainly basing policy on the current subsidy figure is rather foolish.

AM9

Veteran Member
What Boris is saying is the equivalent of me stealing the sweets of all the children where I live, selling them back to them at a discount, and then telling them I've done them a favour.

I don't understand how your 'equivalent' has any similarity with Boris's postulation.
Whilst Boris obviously had a majority at the last mayoral election, I don't believe that many of those voters would support his position on taxes. It's pure right-wing Tory politics expressed as a benefit to a part of the country.
When Boris aims for PM, all this rubbish will be forgotten. In addition, a large proportion of the right-wing voters paying these taxes don't even live in London as they commute into the city, so they don't get the opportunity to vote for Boris, and the only benefit that such a grab could bring is with their commuting transport.
The recent BBC play/(un)reality programme on London becoming a separate state, was based on the premise that such policies would actually be enacted. The ensuing chaos revealed a fatal weakness in the concept.
The problem is, the high subsidy per passenger mile for Northern is in some ways an artificial problem created by the way in which the railways were carved up. Nowhere else have long rural and short suburban routes been completely separated away from their own main lines in the same way.

Cornwall branches are cross subsidised by the main line, same for Greater Anglia. Even the Wales and Scotland franchises contain some important main lines.

Really Northern should have been reunited with it's main line regional network (currently TPE) then we would have had a subsidy figure somewhere between the two, rather than such a controversially high outlier.

Certainly basing policy on the current subsidy figure is rather foolish.

I think that I agree with you regarding the relevance of subsidy levels. Investment should be made where it is needed for economic, operational and environmental reasons. The problem that all regions outside the south-east just don't have the volume of passengers to justify major investment on the scale that the south-east needs.
The north-west electrification is justified only because the cost can be contained by using a supply of serviceable rolling stock that becomes available in the same timescale, (delays accepted).

Starmill

Veteran Member
The terrible integration being what exactly ? Mediocre quality compared to a pacer ?

I'd compare the facilities for passengers in an M5000 and a pacer to be around the same. Both have very uncomfortable seating and both offer shockingly poor ride quality. Both rely on natural ventilation which makes them very unpleasant on days like today. Actually they're very similar as far as facilities go!

An M5000 is fully accessible and isn't designed to cater for long journeys that pacers can be used on, which is what makes their basicness acceptable.

I agree with what I think Moonshot is getting at about the service though. A tram is very cheap to run and perfectly safe without a guard. Metrolink doesn't need any staff in ticket offices or to help people board or alight - but they do still have some roving staff to assist and do revenue. The model works as far as that goes because the whole thing is so cheap to operate that it can charge high fares and make an operating profit, even with very frequent services. It's good, but because of the planning system in this country the stock that has been ordered is seriously deficient (if it had been known that 116 vehicles were going to be required, then the economies of scale would have been large enough to have a nice bespoke tram well suited to the city, but as the original tender was only for 8 vehicles due to no funded extensions at the time, we got a substandard off-the-shelf design). Compare this to the story of the 700 - much maligned and delayed, but what comes out at the end will at least do the job it has been designed exactly to do!

Now to the integration. I have explained this before many times on this forum, specifically I have explained it to Moonshot twice now. I am not going to do so again after this.

Prior to conversion of the Bury, Altrincham and Oldham-Rochdale lines there was a through-ticket and a guarantee of through service to people travelling from those stations to anyone travelling to any national rail station in the whole country. Oldham to Edinbrugh, for example, was a journey someone I know made recently. Back then, you'd get a reserved train from Manchester and a local connection. If you bought an Advance ticket and the Oldham - Manchester train were late, it would be OK to get a later train from Manchester to Edinburgh at no charge. Now, if there is a delay to a Metrolink service that results in you missing your booked train to Edinburgh, you will lose everything. You won't get more than the cost of the tram ticket back from Metrolink - and that's if you get anything at all, they aren't obliged to give you anything. You will not get a refund on your Manchester to Edinbrugh ticket and you will not be allowed to travel, so you will have to pay for a new ticket to Edinburgh or abandon your trip - does that sound good?

It applies to any and all journeys to and from stations outside the GM area, and sometimes within it. If your national rail train to Manchester from anywhere is late and you miss the last available tram back to Oldham, you will have to pay for your taxi yourself - or walk the many miles at night. If you bought a ticket, advance or no, from anywhere to Oldham back before it's conversion you would have the guarantee of service right through, no matter how late the train to Manchester was. The loss of these guarantees is the great travesty of Metrolink, it significantly increases journeytimes because people have to leave massive contingency time to avoid the risk of missing a Booked Train.

Can somebody please tell me they understand this?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Now to the integration. I have explained this before many times on this forum, specifically I have explained it to Moonshot twice now. I am not going to do so again after this.

Prior to conversion of the Bury, Altrincham and Oldham-Rochdale lines there was a through-ticket and a guarantee of through service to people travelling from those stations to anyone travelling to any national rail station in the whole country. Oldham to Edinbrugh, for example, was a journey someone I know made recently. Back then, you'd get a reserved train from Manchester and a local connection. If you bought an Advance ticket and the Oldham - Manchester train were late, it would be OK to get a later train from Manchester to Edinburgh at no charge. Now, if there is a delay to a Metrolink service that results in you missing your booked train to Edinburgh, you will lose everything. You won't get more than the cost of the tram ticket back from Metrolink - and that's if you get anything at all, they aren't obliged to give you anything. You will not get a refund on your Manchester to Edinbrugh ticket and you will not be allowed to travel, so you will have to pay for a new ticket to Edinburgh or abandon your trip - does that sound good?

It applies to any and all journeys to and from stations outside the GM area, and sometimes within it. If your national rail train to Manchester from anywhere is late and you miss the last available tram back to Oldham, you will have to pay for your taxi yourself - or walk the many miles at night. If you bought a ticket, advance or no, from anywhere to Oldham back before it's conversion you would have the guarantee of service right through, no matter how late the train to Manchester was. The loss of these guarantees is the great travesty of Metrolink, it significantly increases journeytimes because people have to leave massive contingency time to avoid the risk of missing a Booked Train.

Can somebody please tell me they understand this?

Indeed. I suppose that this is one of the bonuses of the system in Liverpool which manages to combine being a metro style service whilst still being part of the national network.

Status
Not open for further replies.