• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The proposed Eden Project North at Morecambe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigman

I don’t know why the Leeds – Lancaster - Morecambe couldn’t run via Morecambe first and then terminate at Lancaster. That way, it is only entering Lancaster once as opposed to twice as is the case at present.

I would also be inclined to reopen platforms on the up and down main at Carnforth and make that the main interchange for a shuttle service to Morecambe. You could also then interchange at Carnforth for Leeds/Carlisle/Windermere/Barrow services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

M&NEJ

I don’t know why the Leeds – Lancaster - Morecambe couldn’t run via Morecambe first and then terminate at Lancaster. That way, it is only entering Lancaster once as opposed to twice as is the case at present.

I would also be inclined to reopen platforms on the up and down main at Carnforth and make that the main interchange for a shuttle service to Morecambe. You could also then interchange at Carnforth for Leeds/Carlisle/Windermere/Barrow services.
If doing a "triangular" turnaround at the west end of the Leeds - Morecambe service I would suggest into Lancaster first and then out via Morecambe. That way, from Carnforth (inbound) to Carnforth (outbound) there would only be 2 crossover moves on the WCML instead of 4. Perhaps there should be some line speed improvement on the "Bentham" line to compensate for the longer Leeds - Morecambe and Lancaster - Leeds journey times incurred!

It would be good to see the Carnforth main line platforms re-instated but the track was slewed around the time of electrification and is subject to running at above 100 mph; so there is now a safety objection to having platforms. I suspect there would also be pathing issues if services were to stop and thereby dwell at a congested part of the network.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Because Lancaster is the important destination (for connections, mostly), not Morecambe.

Status
Not open for further replies.