• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things that used to be common place in people’s homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelW

Established Member
Where it shares space with the toastie machine that gets intensively used for the first week after purchase, then rarely after that.

Behind the bread maker
I'm obviously out of step with this section of the forums - both my bread maker and toastie maker are used around twice a week.
I do keep a small sliced loaf in the freezer for emergencies, but it does last quite a long time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'm obviously out of step with this section of the forums - both my bread maker and toastie maker are used around twice a week.
Are we talking here about the likes of a Breville toasted sandwich maker?

Made great cheese toasties, but were a right devil to keep clean!

DelW

Established Member
Are we talking here about the likes of a Breville toasted sandwich maker?

Made great cheese toasties, but were a right devil to keep clean!
It's actually a George Foreman grill, but it gets used much more for toasted sarnies than for grilling meat. Fortunately it's pretty easy to clean even when the cheese does leak out a bit.

mlambeuk

Salad spinner,
Fondue set
Land line phone with a dial.
Soda stream fizzy drink maker.

Last edited:

McRhu

On the subject of useless inventions, when I were a lad (with hair) most households kept a handy comb & cut device which combined a two edged comb with recessed razor blades. This purported to trim and style the hair effortlessly by gently cutting as it was combed it through one's locks. In fact it was so painful it would've brought tears to the eyes of a coconut mat and it pulled the tresses out by the very follicles.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
On the subject of useless inventions, when I were a lad (with hair) most households kept a handy comb & cut device which combined a two edged comb with recessed razor blades. This purported to trim and style the hair effortlessly by gently cutting as it was combed it through one's locks. In fact it was so painful it would've brought tears to the eyes of a coconut mat and it pulled the tresses out by the very follicles.
My dad had one of them and one day decided to save money on haircuts (only once, mind). I think there are international laws that apply to such devices these days ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'll throw in the 'Hostess trolley' for good measure..
Until a few years ago, when my dear late departed wife used to cook Christmas Day dinner for ten every year, our hostess trolley was very useful for "seconds" of any required vegetable for the main meal, prior to the serving of the two large home-made Christmas puddings made to a 1902 recipe of one of my great aunts.

D6130

Established Member
Road and street atlases - although they were often to be found in the car, rather than in the house - made redundant by SatNavs and Google Maps.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Road and street atlases - although they were often to be found in the car, rather than in the house - made redundant by SatNavs and Google Maps.
I still have a couple of AA road atlases, one of which remains in the car (when I have one). I much prefer them simply because I can see more in one go, rather than having to use a tiny screen.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I just bought a new bookcase for my Encylopeadia Britannica which has been languishing in the loft for a few years. Not that i expect to read it much but it certainly looks good all together.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I give up (in despair) <(
I guess I'm getting older and behind the times :D
Same here.
I still have a couple of AA road atlases, one of which remains in the car (when I have one). I much prefer them simply because I can see more in one go, rather than having to use a tiny screen.
Yes I find the larger page easier to use and I like to get a rough idea of the whole journey rather than just getting what I am up against bit by bit. Also batteries do not go flat in encyclopedias or atlases !.

takno

Established Member
I just bought a new bookcase for my Encylopeadia Britannica which has been languishing in the loft for a few years. Not that i expect to read it much but it certainly looks good all together.
I was quite sad that I didn't have space to pick up our Children's Britannica when my parents were clearing out - 20 splendid red leather volumes would look great on my bookcase now. Worth it for the fond memories of looking up every rude word I could think of as a child

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not sure Lemon Puff biscuits have been mentioned until now. I've never been much into biscuits, other than those you pair cheese with, but I used to like these.

Status
Not open for further replies.