• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOD mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

HantsExile

I've made a mistake with my Tickets on Departure (TOD) online booking via the SWR website.

I first booked a return from Winchester to Clapham Junction, and as far as I can remember selected Winchester (my home station) to collect my tickets.

I then decided to add an order for 2 single tickets - Clapham Junction to Crystal Palace & Crystal Palace to Clapham Junction (no returns available).

Unnoticed by me, I think the website then changed my collection point from Winchester to Clapham Junction, classifying one of my single tickets as "Journey 1".

I paid for my tickets and the sale was completed - it was only when I received the confirmation email that I saw the collection point was Clapham Junction.

I can get a refund on the Winchester/Clapham Junction ticket but at the cost of a £10 admin fee. The two singles are not refundable as the total cost is less than the admin fee. Or I could buy an additional single Winchester to Clapham Junction and collect my tickets there, losing out on the outward portion of my return.

So my question is: can I change my collection point and if so how?

Any help gratefully received!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bakerstreet

Experts will be along soon but ToD should be able to be collected from any station equipped with ToD. You have to select a station when booking to ensure that a station you wish to collect from has such a facility. So you should be ok if Winchester has ToD which it sounds like it does if it offered this as an option.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Surely (if you can't change the ToD point, check first!) you could leave the station at Clapham Junction, get your tickets at Clapham Junction for the Crystal Palace portion and rejoin the station? A bit of a faff but doable, especially if you have to wait anyway.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You can collect from any station which supports TOD (which isn't quite all of them). The reason it asks you to choose somewhere is to ensure you're trying to collect it from a station which does support TOD. You will be fine to collect all of them from Winchester without needing to do anything.

bakerstreet

Surely (if you can't change the ToD point, check first!) you could leave the station at Clapham Junction, get your tickets at Clapham Junction for the Crystal Palace portion and rejoin the station? A bit of a faff but doable, especially if you have to wait anyway.
I think the OP was concerned about the Winchester to London outward portion of the return.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I think the OP was concerned about his Winchester to London outward portion of the return.

To me it read that his outward journey is correcly for pickup at Winchester, but the additional CLJ-CYP was sorted for pickup at Clapham Junction.

alistairlees

Established Member
You can pick up all your tickets at Winchester (or pretty much anywhere that has a ticket vending machine or booking office).

ToD works by accessing a central database (‘Live Sales Management / LSM) to get the tickets you have ordered. It has no concept of a ‘collection location’.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
this is the bit I picked up on

I did see that but also the below which seemed confused as not sure why they would need another single:

I first booked a return from Winchester to Clapham Junction, and as far as I can remember selected Winchester (my home station) to collect my tickets.

Anyway its a moot point as the other posters have confirmed it can be changed.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
To me it read that his outward journey is correcly for pickup at Winchester, but the additional CLJ-CYP was sorted for pickup at Clapham Junction.
this is the bit I picked up on
That is all however irrelevant as the OP can collect all their tickets from Winchester and need not worry about buying any additional tickets ;)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Any ticket arranged for TOD can be picked up at any station which offers TOD facility.

HantsExile

Many thanks everyone - really helpful and speedy replies! I've been buying TOD tickets for many years and it's taken till now for me to know that there is flexibility!

Yes, the problem was that all the tickets, including the Winchester/Clapham Junction return. were slated for collection at Clapham Junction so the outward journey was problematic - but not any more.

I'm a frequent lurker but rare poster on here so thanks again to the people who came to my aid and to everyone who provides such fascinating and informative posts.

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
This flexibility helped me save time as I was able to obtain my Euston-Stockport Advance TOD from Barnes Bridge waiting for the train back into central London. I was using my Oystercard within London.

I did meet with an exception of sorts last September. I used the TPE website to book my East Didsbury - Liverpool tickets but this did not include East Didsbury as a TOD station even though it does have a TOD machine. I put another collection station in but still decided to rely on the TOD machine at East Didsbury. In the event it did not recognise my TOD reference number. I therefore asked the ticket clerk to print my tickets, and he obliged.

Status
Not open for further replies.