• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top Gear on the GCR shown July 17, BBC2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
But as a car programme it was absolute rubbish.

The first few episodes were quite serious. Then again, if you want a serious car show watch Fifth Gear, if you want a show where 3 old men try and solve a problem in the silliest and most belligerent way possible, with a few cars thrown in, then watch TG.

jon0844

Veteran Member
But as a car programme it was absolute rubbish.

It always has been. I am also amazed they can still do everything with the same filters and video effects that they've had since day one.

But, hey, it gets the viewers and is quite entertaining. It's also a fantastic export for the BBC. However, I don't feel compelled to watch it every week now. In fact, I haven't watched it for a couple of years and only watched this bit on iPlayer after reading this thread.

I still prefer it to Fifth Gear which has rubbish 'tests' and is about as good about cars as The Gadget Show is about technology.

BlythPower

So, basically it's Last of the Summer Wine with car bits thrown in? That would explain Clarkson and May's 'costumes'... ;)

Striker

it isnt a car programme anymore though is it - it is a three blokes coc*ing about programme! (which as a few cars in it)

Then it shouldn't be called "Top Gear".

They're not comedians and most of the time it's quite embarrassing to watch.

The lap times on the wall mean absolutely nothing. Why do people think the Stig was disguised in the first place? Because they couldn't get the same driver every week.

Having said that, the train one was quite funny, and the week before was a very good episode.

I am coming at this from a huge car enthusiast perspective.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Maybe it should be about drugs instead!

My wife HATES Clarkson but I do find him quite funny, if rather contrived and predictable.

I think James May is my personal favourite as I like his dry humour. To be honest, he's better in other programmes though.

I'd love for there to be a proper car/motoring show but it just isn't going to have a wide enough appeal.

passmore

Then it shouldn't be called "Top Gear".

They're not comedians and most of the time it's quite embarrassing to watch.

The lap times on the wall mean absolutely nothing. Why do people think the Stig was disguised in the first place? Because they couldn't get the same driver every week.

Having said that, the train one was quite funny, and the week before was a very good episode.

I am coming at this from a huge car enthusiast perspective.

Top Gear is to cars as the Apprentice is to business. They are both entertaining programs, despite my dislike of the Apprentice, and should be praised because of what they are rather than what they're meant to be about.

The original format of Top Gear was, IMO, mind-numbingly boring but the remake has made the programme much more accessible to an audience far beyond the die-hard car fans out there. Add in 3 people you wouldn't want to be lost at sea with and you have all the ingredients of prime entertainment.

It's actually one of the few programs left which is genuinely funny.

bnm

Established Member
When Clarkson produced the picture of that broad gauge locomotive (designed by Gooch, not Brunel, Brunel's engines were not good runners)

To be fair, Clarkson didn't refer to it as a Brunel locomotive. He said, "it was designed to run on Brunel's Great Western railway."

Striker

It's actually one of the few programs left which is genuinely funny.

There must be something wrong with my sense of humour then. Three grown men messing about and doing childish things in scenarios which are so obviously scripted it hurts, combined with Richard Hammond so far up Clarkson's backside he can't tie his own shoelaces, does not make me laugh. And to think the BBC pay millions for this drivel. Frequently in his sneering attempts to cause controversy with all the subtlety of a rhino wearing a crash helmet, Jeremy Clarkson has bordered very close to territory that even Jim Davidson would pass as being a bit too racist for his liking. The Mexican comments for one. But hey, it's funny to think of foreigners as being lazy isn't it, and at least it had the audience in fits of laughter. :roll:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Well, even if you choose not to watch it (but it sounds like you do actually watch quite a bit of it) you don't need to worry too much about the millions spent on making it, as I think it's one of the most successful exports the BBC has and it must rake in far more money than it costs to make.

That profit can go towards programmes you may like.

Last edited:

Striker

Well, even if you choose not to watch it (but it sounds like you do actually watch quite a bit of it) you don't need to worry too much about the millions spent on making it, as I think it's one of the most successful exports the BBC has and it must rake in far more money than it costs to make.

That profit can go towards programmes you may like.

The BBC don't make it. They pay for it to be made by Jeremy Clarkson's production company, just like everybody else, and apparently the BBC can no longer afford it.

Hydro

Established Member
It was mostly worth it for Rowan Atkinson saying "petrol pump".

jon0844

Veteran Member
The BBC don't make it. They pay for it to be made by Jeremy Clarkson's production company, just like everybody else, and apparently the BBC can no longer afford it.

I stand corrected! I know many stars (e.g. Graham Norton) own their own production companies and produce their own shows, but I did think the BBC still owned the rights to it, and the licensing rights etc.

Striker

I stand corrected! I know many stars (e.g. Graham Norton) own their own production companies and produce their own shows, but I did think the BBC still owned the rights to it, and the licensing rights etc.

Well, after having a 5 minute browse on the internet, I think the reality is somewhere inbetween. Jeremy Clarkson owns the majority of the production company but the BBC do own a share of it....or something like that.

bnm

Established Member
Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman's company, Bedder 6, do not make the Top Gear show. It is, and remains a BBC production.

Bedder 6 is a company set up by Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman in 2006 to exploit the Top Gear brand. More than half of this company is owned by BBC Worldwide. So the profit from the sale of that Stig doll you may have bought will be split between Bedder 6 and the BBC!

If Top Gear were made (or co-produced) by Bedder 6, we would see that reflected in the closing credits.

Bedder 6 receives income from some foreign sales of the UK show (licensing of foreign remakes remains a BBC income stream) and merchandising. Bedder 6 also has a half share in the company responsible for Top Gear Live events. The other half being owned by BBC Worldwide.

And can I just say, Striker, totally off topic, but your avatar once bought me a pint in the Midland Hotel, Derby. Asked 'Tosh Lines' for an autograph and got a pint as well!!!

Last edited:

Striker

Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman's company, Bedder 6, do not make the Top Gear show. It is, and remains a BBC production.

Bedder 6 is a company set up by Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman in 2006 to exploit the Top Gear brand. More than half of this company is owned by BBC Worldwide. So the profit from the sale of that Stig doll you may have bought will be split between Bedder 6 and the BBC!

If Top Gear were made (or co-produced) by Bedder 6, we would see that reflected in the closing credits.

Bedder 6 receives income from some foreign sales of the UK show (licensing of foreign remakes remains a BBC income stream) and merchandising. Bedder 6 also has a half share in the company responsible for Top Gear Live events. The other half being owned by BBC Worldwide.

Exactly. Which makes what JC says on the programme even worse, as he's representing the BBC across the world, and do we really want the BBC to be seen to encourage lazy, xenophobic comments from people who are about ten years out of date with their Loaded generation attitudes? It's embarrassing enough being a lout, but even more so when you are in your fifties.

bnm

Established Member
Or can others across the world, like I do, draw a distinction between Jeremy Clarkson the man, and Jeremy Clarkson the Top Gear presenter?

Striker

Or can others across the world, like I do, draw a distinction between Jeremy Clarkson the man, and Jeremy Clarkson the Top Gear presenter?

There comes a point when something said tongue-in-cheek and in an ironic way is still racist. And even if you decide it's not racist, is being sat in a big room with two sycophantic co-presenters making lowest common denominator gags that Mexicans are flatulent and lazy, whilst a bussed in audience guffaw "because it's true, Mexicans are lazy!", really the sort of "comedy" that the BBC should be exporting?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
There comes a point when something said tongue-in-cheek and in an ironic way is still racist. And even if you decide it's not racist, is being sat in a big room with two sycophantic co-presenters making lowest common denominator gags that Mexicans are flatulent and lazy, whilst a bussed in audience guffaw "because it's true, Mexicans are lazy!", really the sort of "comedy" that the BBC should be exporting?

So what kind of comedies should we be exporting?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I agree that they stepped over the line with that one. However, I can only say that based on what I read in the media as I didn't watch the episode or see what/how it was said exactly.

Striker

So what kind of comedies should we be exporting?

Why do I get the impression I have to now come up with a selection of comedies, that you will no doubt find fault with, in order for my comments on Top Gear to carry any weight?

I don't have to come up with a list of comedies suitable for export to know that Top Gear is a load of (sometimes) offensive nonsense.

On top of that, as a huge car fan, on the rare occassion they do actually discuss cars, a lot of that is factually incorrect anyway!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree that they stepped over the line with that one. However, I can only say that based on what I read in the media as I didn't watch the episode or see what/how it was said exactly.

Well, I applaud you for cleverly avoiding being a typical "Daily Mail reader jumping on the bandwagon", but there is really very little to know. They said Mexicans were "fat, flatulent and lazy" etc.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I'm just pointing out that most, if not all, comedies will contain questionable comments that probably shouldn't have been said, but was an editorial oversight. It doesn't make it any less of a program worth "exporting" or showing.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why do I get the impression I have to now come up with a selection of comedies

Wow, you're incredibly perceptive!

Last edited:

passmore

There must be something wrong with my sense of humour then. Three grown men messing about and doing childish things in scenarios which are so obviously scripted it hurts, combined with Richard Hammond so far up Clarkson's backside he can't tie his own shoelaces, does not make me laugh. And to think the BBC pay millions for this drivel. Frequently in his sneering attempts to cause controversy with all the subtlety of a rhino wearing a crash helmet, Jeremy Clarkson has bordered very close to territory that even Jim Davidson would pass as being a bit too racist for his liking. The Mexican comments for one. But hey, it's funny to think of foreigners as being lazy isn't it, and at least it had the audience in fits of laughter. :roll:

Well if you don't like it, use the amazing bit of technology that is a remote control.

ushawk

Established Member
They said Mexicans were "fat, flatulent and lazy" etc.

And they were told off for it and an apology was made - there is a line between tongue in cheek and slight racism and it was crossed a bit.

Back to the topic in hand, i thought it was quite funny, though obviously scripted. Obviously a caravan had to be destroyed :lol:

Yew

Established Member
Striker, If you dont like top gear, why do you read a thread about it?

Kernowfem

I find Clarkson witty, but he can come across as very cocky. His books are hilarious though. I think Mr Clarkson is a secret railway nut anyway....

Lets not forget the look of pure pleasure on his face while firing the Tornado, lucky bugger!!

What ever your opinion of the show the simple fact is it works....Even women like it! ;)

jon0844

Veteran Member
He did say he watched this particular bit and enjoyed it.

I love That Mitchell and Webb Look but thought the latest/last series was bloody awful. Had this been my first experience of the show, I'd have had very different opinions of them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.