• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Top Gear on the GCR shown July 17, BBC2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Clarkson was very complimentary about Tornado, shame I hate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

chris89

Established Member
The only Tornado I know is an Aircraft ;)

Well thats what i think when i hear the name, as so used to them flying low alt'

Top Gear as a serious show is rubbish, it in it's current format is made to get viewings fullstop. The challenge from this week was actually quite entertaining also just to see Rowan Atkinson was brillant.

Unlike a lot of shows it isn't politicatly correct what is great in my view, If you don't like it avoid the show and don't comment/ follow threads about it even if it is in a public/ general forum.

Chris

table38

Established Member
They said Mexicans were "fat, flatulent and lazy" etc.

Whilst I'm a big fan of Top Gear, it is starting to become noticable that Clarkson will usually say something controversial (like truckers murdering prostitutes) then lap up all the free publicity for the show. Clarkson has become a "brand" and a very successful one at that.

Apparently there is no such thing as bad publicity... or as Oscar Wilde said, The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about

Striker

If you don't like it avoid the show and don't comment/ follow threads about it even if it is in a public/ general forum.

Chris

Sorry, I didn't realise you set the rules. So let me get this straight. You only want people to comment as long as it's positive?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Sorry, I didn't realise you set the rules. So let me get this straight. You only want people to comment as long as it's positive?

Ignore them. This is a discussion forum, people discuss good or bad. I may not agree with you, but everyone has the right to comment on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Striker

You're only making yourself look like a numpty by coming into a thread about a TV show you don't like to bitch about it. That's like going to YouTube and looking up a video you don't like just to comment that it sucks.

No it's not.

I used to like Top Gear very much when it was in it's heyday. Seeing a topic pop up with this subject is a chance to air my grievences and also try to find out whether other people share my opinion. It's what is called a "discussion" and trying to prevent the party who have the opposite opinion to you from having their say just demonstrates your own lack of confidence in expressing your opinion. ;)

chris89

Established Member
Most of what appears on topgear is rather boring. Such as the Nissian GT-R and the Jag XKR-S (Dream car btw) Kept going on about how great the GT-R is but failed to mentioned it had 4wd so would of course out accelactate the jag.

Fifth Gear isn't as bad, but for car news i look to the web as far better. The best sort of shows for anything is Gadget show really, but same as cars i look to the internet for info :)

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've accused Striker of trolling before but have to say he can share opinions of something he has actually watched and enjoyed parts of over the years.

I like the show but can see many flaws, especially as time goes on and it runs out of ideas or gets desperate to maintain ratings by being more controversial than it started out being.

Striker

I've accused Striker of trolling before but have to say he can share opinions of something he has actually watched and enjoyed parts of over the years.

Maybe there's hope for me yet then? :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Most of what appears on topgear is rather boring. Such as the Nissian GT-R and the Jag XKR-S (Dream car btw) Kept going on about how great the GT-R is but failed to mentioned it had 4wd so would of course out accelactate the jag.

It's funny because that was one of the sections I found quite entertaining, what with it actually being about cars and on what is (loosely) a car programme.

But yes, Clarkson makes many, many mistakes both on the programme and in his columns in newspapers and magazines which make me question whether he has even driven the car in question, including claiming the Jag lapped the 'Ring in nine minutes. Try knocking another minute off that and you'd be in the right ball park. Often he will make stuff up just to emphasise his point. Sadly the general population seem to take what he says as Gospel.

chris89

Established Member
I have to agree about that with Clarkson. Also he seems to instantly knock any car what is 'cheap' compared to all the Supercars. Most supprising was with the hot-hatches, But then the Citeron DS3 is the mag's Car of the Year.

Either way i would still go with the Jag as miles nicer and no playstation complexity to it :s Plus the one they had in the Studio the French Racing blue but with black wheels instead would be rather nice.

Striker

I actually came into this thread because I watched and enjoyed the episode and wanted to see others thoughts on it.

Well, you discovered that not everybody shares your opinion. :D

Except there's been little discussion and more whinging from you and people responding to just that. That isn't a discussion.

Interesting that people who don't share your opinion are "whingers".

How I am supposed to be the troll on here with posts like yours I do not know. I'm trying to have a coherent and intelligent discussion whilst giving my reasons for my opinion.

Bittern

Established Member
Well, you discovered that not everybody shares your opinion. :D

Which is all part of the interest. However, did you actually watch the episode in question or did you just see "Top Gear" in the title and proceed to, more-or-less go "top gear sux lol"? as you've basically being stating all along? As someone said earlier, it's fine to have a point of view (in fact, I'd be a bit worried if you didn't), but it's boring if you constantly point it out at every chance you get.

Interesting that people who don't share your opinion are "whingers".

That's not quite true. Most people don't bother wasting time by coming into a thread about a TV shoe they don't like just to say that they don't like it.

I have no interest in Austrian steam, but I don't go into the international transport forum and state this simply because it's a downright waste of time. Thew same applies here.

How I am supposed to be the troll on here with posts like yours I do not know. I'm trying to have a coherent and intelligent discussion whilst giving my reasons for my opinion.
I didn't suggest you're being a troll. I suggested that you're whining.

Striker

Which is all part of the interest. However, did you actually watch the episode in question or did you just see "Top Gear" in the title and proceed to, more-or-less go "top gear sux lol"?

I would never write in childish text speak "Top Gear sux lol".

I did indeed see the episode as I have seen pretty much every Top Gear that has been broadcast. Dating back to when it was more a consumer programme in the late 70's/early 80's which is possibly before you were born. My biggest passion is cars (many sports cars owned and I'm currently about to take delivery of a new Audi R8 V10) and living close to the Nurburgring, which I frequent regularly, I do take a particular close interest to the programme. It is this passion which means I have the energy to comment on something even when I don't like it, and not due to some bizarre motive to annoy you.

as you've basically being stating all along? As someone said earlier, it's fine to have a point of view (in fact, I'd be a bit worried if you didn't), but it's boring if you constantly point it out at every chance you get.

Erm, I don't believe I did constantly point out at every chance I got. Bear in mind your first contribution to this thread was to have a go at me for stating my opinion and nothing at all about Top Gear, so some would say you should look at yourself first.

Now, I would report your first post for being off topic if I thought it would make a blind bit of difference, but it won't. Maybe somebody else could do it if they agree it adds nothing to the subject? :roll:

P.S. Your signiture makes no sense and is in fact so full of errors I do not know where to begin.

Bittern

Established Member
Well the fact that you actually watched the episode is strange because you claimed that you don't even like the show anymore. If you don't like it, why are you bothering to watch never mind coming into threads and whine about it?

If we're going to play the opinion game, then in my opinion, you're posts in this thread have been pointless. You'll no doubt say that mine are the same, to which I'll respond that they're here to let you know that you are doing nothing more than whinging.

Finally, his TAZZMISSION is really powerful.

Striker

Well the fact that you actually watched the episode is strange because you claimed that you don't even like the show anymore. If you don't like it, why are you bothering to watch never mind coming into threads and whine about it?

If we're going to play the opinion game, then in my opinion, you're posts in this thread have been pointless. You'll no doubt say that mine are the same, to which I'll respond that they're here to let you know that you are doing nothing more than whinging.

Finally, his TAZZMISSION is really powerful.

I watched it and still think it wasn't as good as it used to be (although this week wasn't as bad as some weeks), and I'll watch it next week as well. It doesn't mean I don't wish it was much better. What is so difficult to understand?

Why is there no middle ground? Why are the only options to either like/love a programme OR hate it and never watch it?

Bittern

Established Member
Oh I agree that it's not as good as it used to be. I regularly watch some of the specials such as the Botswana and the North Pole ones and they're a far superior product. But you don't seem to be putting forward the "middle ground" you speak of.

Also, nice edit there. ;)

Striker

Oh I agree that it's not as good as it used to be. I regularly watch some of the specials such as the Botswana and the North Pole ones and they're a far superior product. But you don't seem to be putting forward the "middle ground" you speak of.

You mean the middle ground where I say in the second post that it was "quite good"? Or in the first post where my comment was "but as a car programme it was rubbish", implying that it wasn't that bad as a general entertainment programme? Or my issues with it being that the presenters are becoming a parody of themselves and are a bit offensive and childish, but the actual programme CAN have some things in it worth watching? I think you are choosing to see what you want to see and are just trying to provoke a reaction, which I guess you've partly achieved. You really shouldn't take somebody else's opinion to heart, especially when I assume you have no direct or indirect responsibility for making the programme. ;)

Crossover

Established Member
Funnily enough, I do find some of the car tests a bit tedious and it is the other stuff that makes it interesting. Fifth Gear also has other bits in it, although I would say they are more factual to an extent, but that's no dis-service to TG.

Someone commented earlier about they would be the last people you would want to end up stuck on a boat with but actually, I wouldn't mind I don't think (although I'd rather not get stuck on a boat at all, you understand :P)

What does annoy me are the people who watch the programme seemingly purely to make complaints to whichever body it is. The trio can be outspoken but on the whole part it is done in good spirit and jest and I personally have no problem with that. (Although I have a feeling some of you may have something to say to me about this)

I find Clarkson witty, but he can come across as very cocky. His books are hilarious though. I think Mr Clarkson is a secret railway nut anyway....

Lets not forget the look of pure pleasure on his face while firing the Tornado, lucky bugger!!

What ever your opinion of the show the simple fact is it works....Even women like it! ;)

I heard somewhere that whilst not necessarily a rail nut, he is a keen engineer (with particular interest in British engineering) and I think that is why is why he took Tornado when they did that challenge. Still slightly envious of him on that one and still have the episode saved!

My biggest passion is cars (many sports cars owned and I'm currently about to take delivery of a new Audi R8 V10) and living close to the Nurburgring, which I frequent regularly, I do take a particular close interest to the programme.

May I just say...nice car! (I do love the look of those things!)

Metrailway

I find Clarkson witty, but he can come across as very cocky. His books are hilarious though. I think Mr Clarkson is a secret railway nut anyway....

Lets not forget the look of pure pleasure on his face while firing the Tornado, lucky bugger!!

What ever your opinion of the show the simple fact is it works....Even women like it! ;)

Whenever he does documentaries on the engineering, he always seems to be genuinely interested when the particular topic is about the railways.

On Top Gear, he claims to be interested in F1. Apparently, he despises it!

45rpm

The episode last Sunday was the only episode of "Top Gear" I`ve ever watched as I`m not interested in cars. I`m not criticizing those who are,it`s just not my thing. I watched the programme purely for the railway feature. I thought it was reasonably well done but,as I said,having never watched it before,I can`t say whether or not it was a good episode compared to other episodes.

Yank 119

This seems to be a major theme in life today. No one can take any sort of criticism without getting their feathers ruffled and lashing back at the person who made the comment. It's ridiculous.

To some (and might I say a lot of young people), if you have a different opinion, or are indeed entirely correct about something factual and try to politely point out that someone else has made an error, you're attacked. You can't win.

passmore

I watched it and still think it wasn't as good as it used to be (although this week wasn't as bad as some weeks), and I'll watch it next week as well. It doesn't mean I don't wish it was much better. What is so difficult to understand?

Why is there no middle ground? Why are the only options to either like/love a programme OR hate it and never watch it?

Because it is one of those programmes which you either like or hate. If you want middle ground, watch Question Time.

Playing devil's advocate for a programme that won't be something you either like or hate makes you look like a bit of a fool TBH.

Striker

Because it is one of those programmes which you either like or hate. If you want middle ground, watch Question Time.

Playing devil's advocate for a programme that won't be something you either like or hate makes you look like a bit of a fool TBH.

Oh give over. :roll: I am NOT playing Devil's Advocate and I'd respectfully ask you to not refer to me looking like a "fool". Why is Top Gear a programme you either "love or hate" when in the space of 60 minutes there could be stuff worth watching combined with 30 mins of the three presenters just arseing about?

Sometimes it's good, like two weeks ago with the McLaren 12C and Ferrari 458. Sometimes it's bad. Sometimes there are bad items on it combined with good items. Sometimes it's let down by the "star" in a reasonably priced car. Why anybody would care how fast some c list celeb can drive a car round a track is beyond me. However, Rowan Atkinson and Vettel? Good.

But, on the whole Top Gear is now less consistently good than it used to be five years ago.

Now, what is so difficult to understand about that? :roll:

passmore

Oh give over. :roll: I am NOT playing Devil's Advocate and I'd respectfully ask you to not refer to me looking like a "fool". Why is Top Gear a programme you either "love or hate" when in the space of 60 minutes there could be stuff worth watching combined with 30 mins of the three presenters just arseing about?

Sometimes it's good, like two weeks ago with the McLaren 12C and Ferrari 458. Sometimes it's bad. Sometimes there are bad items on it combined with good items. Sometimes it's let down by the "star" in a reasonably priced car. Why anybody would care how fast some c list celeb can drive a car round a track is beyond me. However, Rowan Atkinson and Vettel? Good.

But, on the whole Top Gear is now less consistently good than it used to be five years ago.

Now, what is so difficult to understand about that? :roll:

I'm sorry if you took offence to the 'fool' bit, but what you have to understand is that Top Gear since the remake now appeals to a greater audience beyond the car fans and those that want to see more cars and less caravans exploding.
That's why I find it difficult to understand your point of view concerning it being 'less consistently good'. The broad selection of items on Top Gear, coupled with someone like JC who is like a human Marmite, does make it a show you 'like or hate'. There is no debating that. It's a fact.
I dislike the Apprentice in much the same way you dislike Top Gear, but I don't admonish those that watch it nor do I debate the programme for the sake of a debate. Both programmes are entertaining in their own right and they appeal to a wide-ranging audience.

Now what is so difficult to understand about that?

Striker

Top Gear since the remake now appeals to a greater audience beyond the car fans

Since the remake? When the remake first started it was very good. Unfortunately after a few series they realised that arseing about in front of the camera seemed to attract the casual viewer who is not necessarily interested in cars per se, and we all know the BBC is interested in ratings nowadays. Hence, as a car fan, I am voicing my opinion.

I dislike the Apprentice in much the same way you dislike Top Gear, but I don't admonish those that watch it nor do I debate the programme for the sake of a debate. Both programmes are entertaining in their own right and they appeal to a wide-ranging audience.

Now what is so difficult to understand about that?

Erm, mainly because The Apprentice hasn't changed one bit? :roll:

You really do seem to be having an argument with me and I'm not entirely sure why or what your point is. It's quite baffling really why you seem to be trying to change my opinion. Just accept people think differently to you. I am not saying I don't understand why Top Gear now has more viewers, but I'm not wrong when I say it is no longer a proper car programme and I'm not wrong as a car fan to be disappointed. Jesus, this is getting so tedious.

passmore

Because I disagree with your views about the show, and if x person disagrees with y they debate/argue about it. It really is nothing personal, Striker, and I'm sorry if you feel that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.