• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Nova 3 (Class 68 + Mk5s) updates and withdrawal from service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CAF397

If your assertions are true about the training backlog being ‘largely’ resolved, I do wonder why stakeholders are not pushing for an improvement in the timetable offer from June 2024 onwards.

I think the MD has mentioned where uplifts can take place they will do so when they can, I believe from May or June the number of services from Manchester to York via Castleford will increase (not by much though), and the WCML services are also increasing.

It seems a better approach to drip feed improvements in, based on resources to operate it.

December 2024 is the telling timetable, as we have been promised a much improved timetable, which to me is something more than the December 2022 timetable offered.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I think the MD has mentioned where uplifts can take place they will do so when they can, I believe from May or June the number of services from Manchester to York via Castleford will increase (not by much though), and the WCML services are also increasing.

It seems a better approach to drip feed improvements in, based on resources to operate it.

December 2024 is the telling timetable, as we have been promised a much improved timetable, which to me is something more than the December 2022 timetable offered.
Many thanks for the info, most appreciated.

Yes, I agree entirely, much better for TPE to offer what they can be certain of delivering.

I’m not in any way questioning the approach, TPE are where they are and there isn’t really an alternative way out of it.

It was the assertion that the training backlog was largely resolved that seemed a bit of a wild claim.

The York former Class 68/Mk5A link training over the Calder Valley is a major component of the training backlog and that absolutely is not ‘largely resolved.’ For each driver the route learning takes 16 days and will almost certainly be ongoing until the Autumn.

Even the graph in the October 2023 TPE prospectus does not back up the ‘largely resolved’ claim.

The metric of ‘% of drivers competent on all routes and traction’ is a bit dubious anyhow when the bulk of route learning that remains is over a lengthy route.

Against this backdrop it does seem strange to then add in traction training and route learning for Hull drivers on the Class 802 sets.

Attachments

• C877A5B2-BC5B-42CD-A494-94ECBD848319.jpeg
    C877A5B2-BC5B-42CD-A494-94ECBD848319.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 77

driverd

Against this backdrop it does seem strange to then add in traction training and route learning for Hull drivers on the Class 802 sets.

As Hull is a reasonably self contained depot in terms of routes they cover, I would imagine that training this staff cohort on 802s may well have no impact at all on other training activities taking place.

They certainly don't sign the Calder valley (or never used to) and if there are spare 802 units sat idle, training is probably better utilisation of your staff and assets.

Especially if the TOC are now in a position to introduce trains when they see fit, it's highly unlikely to end up being a repeat of the Mk5s on the south route (where a strict and ambitious timescale was put on the training).

sjpowermac

Established Member
As Hull is a reasonably self contained depot in terms of routes they cover, I would imagine that training this staff cohort on 802s may well have no impact at all on other training activities taking place.

They certainly don't sign the Calder valley (or never used to) and if there are spare 802 units sat idle, training is probably better utilisation of your staff and assets.

Especially if the TOC are now in a position to introduce trains when they see fit, it's highly unlikely to end up being a repeat of the Mk5s on the south route (where a strict and ambitious timescale was put on the training).
Yes, you are absolutely correct about TPE being in a privileged position regarding being able to ‘introduce trains when they see fit.’

Are you claiming that Hull depot have 100% spare cover for all of their turns? That doesn’t seem particularly likely.

No wonder the MD seemed very cagey when asked by Transport for the North whether there was any prospect of reintroducing more North Route services before December 2024.

Certainly throwing traction training a depot into the mix was not something flagged up explicitly.

Anyhow, we shall see in time how it all works out.

To bring the discussion back to the thread’s title, you failed to mention that shortly after the announcement of Cleethorpes driver training on Class 68/Mk5A, TPE managed to lose the Rest Day Working agreement with ASLEF. I would put it to you that this was one of the major reasons why that project ended up being so protracted.

Really strange how in June 2023, with RDW back in place, the Cleethorpes driver training was cancelled and the Class 68/Mk5A sets withdrawn from the South Route. Yet here we are, less than a year later, starting a fresh with traction and associated route knowledge for a whole new depot learning Class 802s.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The 16:30 Piccadilly to Scarborough caused much "confuzione" on Monday, because the carriage letters hadn't been swapped! B became F, or vice-versa or something like that, because my seat was in Coach F/B/however they wanted to play the game that day. Of course it was only 3-car when, if the previous and following hours' services had been 68 hauled, it could have been 6 caused by the Nova freeing up 185s! Thankfully, on a Monday it wasn't too crowded after Stalyvegas. I don't think the 16:30 to Scarborough was booked 68 even before December '23, but I know that the 15:30 and 17:30 were.

_toommm_

Established Member
Seen on twitter that one set has been unbranded and ran as the following:

[The photo below is of an unbranded MK5 set in a white/grey basecoat with grey doors passing a station]

GG9Tw8EWcAAvuBr.jpeg

Last edited:

87electric

Seen on twitter that one set has been unbranded and ran as the following:

68026 the loco, TP03 was the unbranded set, seen at New St

warwickshire

On Moderation
68026 the loco, TP03 was the unbranded set, seen at New St
Was today's move back to Longsight for more service checks? have they gone off lease early, ? also will anymore return to Longsight ? Regarding the ex Transpennie mk5 sets, for any kindly updated information status.
Thank You.

sjpowermac

Established Member
Was today's move back to Longsight for more service checks? have they gone off lease early, ? also will anymore return to Longsight ? Regarding the ex Transpennie mk5 sets, for any kindly updated information status.
Thank You.
The sets at Long Marston will return to Longsight for routine exams every 45 days. Once these are completed the sets will return to Long Marston.

As of 23.02.2024

Sets:
Long Marston
TP04/05/06/07/11/12/13/

Wolverton Works
TP01

Crewe South Yard
TP08/09

Longsight
TP02 68025
TP10 68031
TP03 68026

Locos
68019 Crewe Gresty
68020 Crewe Gresty
68021 Crewe Gresty
68022 Crewe Gresty
68023 Carlisle Kingmoor
68024 Crewe Gresty
68025 Longsight
68026 Longsght
68027 Crewe South Yard
68028 Carlisle Kingmoor
68029 Crewe Gresty
68030 Crewe Gresty
68031 Longsight
68032 Crewe Gresty

warwickshire

On Moderation
The sets at Long Marston will return to Longsight for routine exams every 45 days. Once these are completed the sets will return to Long Marston.

As of 23.02.2024

Sets:
Long Marston
TP04/05/06/07/11/12/13/

Wolverton Works
TP01

Crewe South Yard
TP08/09

Longsight
TP02 68025
TP10 68031
TP03 68026

Locos
68019 Crewe Gresty
68020 Crewe Gresty
68021 Crewe Gresty
68022 Crewe Gresty
68023 Carlisle Kingmoor
68024 Crewe Gresty
68025 Longsight
68026 Longsght
68027 Crewe South Yard
68028 Carlisle Kingmoor
68029 Crewe Gresty
68030 Crewe Gresty
68031 Longsight
68032 Crewe Gresty
Thank you

theblackwatch

Established Member

As of 23.02.2024

Sets:
Long Marston
TP04/05/06/07/11/12/13/

Wolverton Works
TP01

Crewe South Yard
TP08/09

Longsight
TP02 68025
TP10 68031
TP03 68026
I have a couple of differences on my notes.... TP06 move to Long Marston on January 18th was terminated at Crewe South Yard - has it completed its journey since? Also I have 68031 and TP10 at Crewe, but not sure where I got that from so I may be incorrect. :s

warwickshire

On Moderation
I have a couple of differences on my notes.... TP06 move to Long Marston on January 18th was terminated at Crewe South Yard - has it completed its journey since? Also I have 68031 and TP10 at Crewe, but not sure where I got that from so I may be incorrect. :s
I think 68031 took Tp10, as stated on Old live rail record website on Tuesday 22nd February 2024. 5Q32 1010 Crewe South Yard to Longsight.
It's Tp06, which is a mystery, sure its at Crewe South Yard. If not when did it go to Long Marston and maybe slipped through the net?
Did it go to Long Marston at Very Short notice?
After its failure at Stockport from Crewe South Yard later on unnoticed.? Thank you.

jamie56

On Moderation
Surely these sets will find a new home. I can think of quite a few operators who could use these to remove their old unreliable, aging fleet. But it comes down to who can afford them, I suppose.

As mentioned the 68s will likely return to DRS.

I know the MK5a are cleared for 125mph running, does anyone know if they could work with a 67? Could this be a potential option for higher speed running?
I want to say they might get new owners cuz I saw a video of a debranded set so maybe they are being prepared for a new operator?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I want to say they might get new owners cuz I saw a video of a debranded set so maybe they are being prepared for a new operator?
They are being debranded because they are not being used by TPE any more. It doesn't necessarily mean something else is lined up.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Thursday 02 March 2024.
1. 5Q42 0957 Longsight to Crewe South Yard.
68025 took a Transpennie mk5 set to from Longsight to Crewe.
2. 5Q33 1228 Crewe South Yard to Longsight.
Another mk5 set went from Crewe to Longsight for a service.
Does anyone know which sets, have changed locations please, or locomotives on the moves as well, Thank you.

Covshire1

I think 68031 took Tp10, as stated on Old live rail record website on Tuesday 22nd February 2024. 5Q32 1010 Crewe South Yard to Longsight.
It's Tp06, which is a mystery, sure its at Crewe South Yard. If not when did it go to Long Marston and maybe slipped through the net?
Did it go to Long Marston at Very Short notice?
After its failure at Stockport from Crewe South Yard later on unnoticed.? Thank you.
68029 + TP06 were working 5Q94 0856 Longsight T.M.D. (D) to Long Marston on Thursday 18th January 2024 but the 68 failed in Stockport. 57308 dragged the working to Crewe South Yard. Don't believe that the set completed it's journey but happy to be corrected...

warwickshire

On Moderation
68029 + TP06 were working 5Q94 0856 Longsight T.M.D. (D) to Long Marston on Thursday 18th January 2024 but the 68 failed in Stockport. 57308 dragged the working to Crewe South Yard. Don't believe that the set completed it's journey but happy to be corrected...
Same here i believe its still at Crewe South Yard.
More than sure never completed its journey.

Updated Tuesday 05th March 2024.
1. 5Q42 1055 Longsight car Md to Crewe South Yard.
2. 5Q33 1358 Crewe South Yard to Longsight car Md.
Saw two Mk5 sets swap over from Warm Store Crewe to service at Longsight and Vice Versa.
Also to correct post above ref 2390, to correct myself on the date which actually was
Thursday 29th February 2024
1. 5q42 0957 Longsight car md to Crewe South Yard
2 . 5Q33 1228 Crewe South Yard to Longsight car md.
Was the same again a swap over of sets for store at Crewe, and maintenance to Longsight in the 45 day cycle, as explained by a op further above.
However does anyone very kindly have anymore updates on the latest changes of locations, of the mk5 sets, due to the above moves, in the past week, including any possible ex class 68locomotive updates as well, involving these moves. Thank You.

Wednesday 06th March 2024
1. 5Q42 1055 Longsight Car md to Crewe South Yard
2. 5Q33 1358 Crewe South Yard to Longsight Car Md.
Another pair of Mk5s have gone for a swap over from Store Crewe to Maintenance at Longsight. And Vice Versa
Any further updates on which of the mk5 sets and class 68
locomotives are now currently located, are greatly appreciated thank you.

Last edited:

12LDA28C

Established Member
Well like all things, they’re total rumours.

Except the rumour is the de
branded coaches are having “Chiltern Railways” slapped on them as we speak.

I would say that's utter nonsense. There's not even been agreement reached yet for Chiltern to use them let alone a lease contract signed.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Would all of this information be personally relaid to you in order for you to make these comments?

It appears that some people have assumed that because TPE branding has been removed from some sets, that must mean that another operator's vinyls are being applied to replace them. Until photographic evidence is forthcoming, I don't believe that to be the case. Certainly no announcement has been made at Chiltern confirming the ex-TPE 68s and Mk5s are going to replace the Mk3s, which would also be dependent on the Class 68 noise reduction modification having been declared a success.

scrapthe503

On Moderation
It appears that some people have assumed that because TPE branding has been removed from some sets, that must mean that another operator's vinyls are being applied to replace them. Until photographic evidence is forthcoming, I don't believe that to be the case. Certainly no announcement has been made at Chiltern confirming the ex-TPE 68s and Mk5s are going to replace the Mk3s, which would also be dependent on the Class 68 noise reduction modification having been declared a success.
You didn’t answer the question despite your forthright assertion. Now you’re skirting around to try to change.

12LDA28C

Established Member
You didn’t answer the question despite your forthright assertion. Now you’re skirting around to try to change.

Not at all. What's your assessment of the situation? Given that the tender sent out asking for submissions from prospective rolling stock providers had a closing date of February 2nd, do you believe that the various options would have been considered and evaluated, a final decision made, contract signed and livery already applied to stock just five weeks later? Does that seem likely to you?