• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVicLine

TPE will be advertising internally for trainee drivers between 14th and 24th Feb, the positions will be advertised externally on 24th Feb. There are 10 positions, 1 trainee vacancy at pretty much all of their locations.

Check the TPE website vacancies page on 24th Feb, good luck as there is bound to be huge response.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vicpaul

Lime street would be perfect but I could do Manchester. I got knocked back for the qualifieds on experience

SqUaShIe P

There is one trainee vacancy at each of the following depots:
Barrow In Furness, Blackpool North, Manchester Piccadilly (Link 2&3*), Liverpool Lime Street, Sheffield, Cleethorpes, Hull, Scarborough and Newcastle.
*I think there might be two vacancies for Manchester Piccadilly but theres definitly one.

Good luck to all those applying :)

Maybe

With their only being one position for each depot surely these will go internally and will more than likely have someone's name on? That said will still have a go

Septus

Does anyone know if TPE accept applications from those who can and are willing relocate?

i.e. not like Northern, who stop you progressing your application, if you tick the 'No' to living within XXmins of the depot.

Last edited:

TheVicLine

Does anyone know if TPE accept applications from those who can and are willing relocate?

i.e. not like Northern, who stop you progressing your application, if you tick the 'No' to living within XXmins of the depot.

Yes they do, there was a section for you to tick on the application when I applied with them if you were relocating. Think it is still the same.

Maybe

So for external is it defend tube that they will be posted on the 24tg feb? I imagine if there is to be only one position they will close the application quite quickly considering the number of applications they receive. At present I am in limbo with FGW with my application having passed all the tests and succesful at DM interview, however don't seem to be getting an offer unbeknown to me why. That said do you think that may stand me in good stead for applying with TPE? The tests that I passed I presume are still valid but where the old style so if I was to be succesful at short listing do you think I would have to resit the new style?

TheVicLine

So for external is it defend tube that they will be posted on the 24tg feb? I imagine if there is to be only one position they will close the application quite quickly considering the number of applications they receive. At present I am in limbo with FGW with my application having passed all the tests and succesful at DM interview, however don't seem to be getting an offer unbeknown to me why. That said do you think that may stand me in good stead for applying with TPE? The tests that I passed I presume are still valid but where the old style so if I was to be succesful at short listing do you think I would have to resit the new style?

There is a notice that went up in the mess room saying that there are trainee drivers positions (details already listed in above posts), and that applications will be considered for internal applicants from 14th - 24th Feb and external applicants on 24th Feb.

Whether TPE pull it before external applicants get a chance to submit is up to the HR Dept. I would say to all get your applications ready in your mind and on the 24th check the website through the day.

Vicpaul

Is it that bad I'm so desperate to move north that I would start all over again

Last edited:

gorilladan

Northern are after 100 extra drivers this year due to loss of experienced drivers to neighbouring toc's & extra drivers required for electrification purposes. Their training school at Bolton can't cope with the volume of courses required so it's being moved to bigger premises (still in Bolton locale (ish))
I'm sure if you contact them directly & explain your circumstances they'll look favourably on it.
And for a bit of background info, Northern are realising that losing experienced drivers to rival toc's is costing them big style in recruitment and training costs. They're allegedly bringing an improved pay deal tothe table to encourage drivers to stay and which will rival their neighbouring toc's pay structure- so fingers crossed for you getting on :)

Northern are after 100 extra drivers this year due to loss of experienced drivers to neighbouring toc's & extra drivers required for electrification purposes. Their training school at Bolton can't cope with the volume of courses required so it's being moved to bigger premises (still in Bolton locale (ish))
I'm sure if you contact them directly & explain your circumstances they'll look favourably on it.
And for a bit of background info, Northern are realising that losing experienced drivers to rival toc's is costing them big style in recruitment and training costs. They're allegedly bringing an improved pay deal tothe table to encourage drivers to stay and which will rival their neighbouring toc's pay structure- so fingers crossed for you getting on :)

If they need 100 extra drivers it would be nice if they eased their restriction on living within 30 mins of the depot to allow people who really want to be in the industry to relocate. Especially people coming out of the Military who will have to relocate anyway.

ultra4

If they need 100 extra drivers it would be nice if they eased their restriction on living within 30 mins of the depot to allow people who really want to be in the industry to relocate. Especially people coming out of the Military who will have to relocate anyway.

Exactly.
I don't know what's wrong with relocation, unless they prefer locals.

Exactly.
I don't know what's wrong with relocation, unless they prefer locals.

I would B and B for the training phase then move when qualified. I suppose they think there are likely to be some admin burdens amongst those who want to relocate.

Maybe

Eagerly waiting for these to be posted, as of yet haven't seen anything....

Septus

Eagerly waiting for these to be posted, as of yet haven't seen anything....

I am assuming that they will appear on the First Corporate job site...also got one eye on this, to see what depots are advertised.

driver9000

Established Member

Like when they eased it to 60 minutes about 5 years ago and has been that ever since?

Beveridges

Established Member
And for a bit of background info, Northern are realising that losing experienced drivers to rival toc's is costing them big style in recruitment and training costs. They're allegedly bringing an improved pay deal tothe table to encourage drivers to stay and which will rival their neighbouring toc's pay structure-

It's not just about pay but it's about the traction. A 185 is a far better working environment than a 142 and won't damage your back or make you sweat in the summer heat. A lot of time is spent at work and that time is better spent in comfort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.