• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Trainee Train Drivers - Manchester & York (21/09/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wacca78

So is it like hotel and stuff as well then?
Huddersfield is where “The Hub” is based which is used for training purposes. However due to the sheer amount of training courses happening, conference rooms at hotels have been getting used in Manchester and Leeds I believe.

I believe you’ll be offered accommodation if your travel time is over 90 mins from your HOME DEPOT. Please note not from your home address!! So say you were based at York and training was at Huddersfield, but you lived in Durham about an hour away from York. You’d have to travel every day and not be entitled to a hotel. If you lived in Durham and were based at Newcastle then you would be entitled.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SLee

So is it like hotel and stuff as well then?
Some are in Leeds

Huddersfield is where “The Hub” is based which is used for training purposes. However due to the sheer amount of training courses happening, conference rooms at hotels have been getting used in Manchester and Leeds I believe.

I believe you’ll be offered accommodation if your travel time is over 90 mins from your HOME DEPOT. Please note not from your home address!! So say you were based at York and training was at Huddersfield, but you lived in Durham about an hour away from York. You’d have to travel every day and not be entitled to a hotel. If you lived in Durham and were based at Newcastle then you would be entitled.
Sucks for me, my training is in Leeds, but to drive in rush hour it will take 2 hours or more, and if I take the train from Manchester it will be about 1hr 45 once I’ve had to drive to Piccadilly.

Totally worth it thought but going to be tiring with all that traveling on top of the amount of training.

I may even have to pay for my own hotel if I start feeling too tired.

wacca78

Some are in Leeds

Sucks for me, my training is in Leeds, but to drive in rush hour it will take 2 hours or more, and if I take the train from Manchester it will be about 1hr 45 once I’ve had to drive to Piccadilly.

Totally worth it thought but going to be tiring with all that traveling on top of the amount of training.

I may even have to pay for my own hotel if I start feeling too tired.
Yeah Manchester Picc to Leeds is within the 90 mins travelling time so won’t be put up for that. Had you been based in Liverpool or Preston then you would have! Of course nothing to stop you booking hotels at your own expense. Like you say though it’s all worthwhile in the end.

Good luck with the training!!

SLee

Yeah Manchester Picc to Leeds is within the 90 mins travelling time so won’t be put up for that. Had you been based in Liverpool then you would have! Of course nothing to stop you booking hotels at your own expense. Like you say though it’s all worthwhile in the end.

Good luck with the training!!
Thanks buddy

wacca78

Thanks buddy
By the way you do get paid travelling time from and to your depot which will go down as overtime so that’s a nice compensation. I’d imagine Picc to Leeds over 5 days would be about 12 hours. Soon adds up!

SLee

By the way you do get paid travelling time from and to your depot which will go down as overtime so that’s a nice compensation. I’d imagine Picc to Leeds over 5 days would be about 12 hours. Soon adds up!
That’s perked me up! Haha

Are you a TPE employee? I couldn’t find the overtime rate on the contract.

swav67

Hi guys, just waiting on a date for DMI interview for TPE. Has anyone got any tips on the questions that will be asked?

wacca78

That’s perked me up! Haha

Are you a TPE employee? I couldn’t find the overtime rate on the contract.
Yes I am! I think training overtime is just paid at flat rate but don’t forget after 8 weeks you’ll be on full rate pay! And still training!

SLee

Yes I am! I think training overtime is just paid at flat rate but don’t forget after 8 weeks you’ll be on full rate pay! And still training!
Yeh it’s that’s fantastic isn’t it.

TPE is the only TOC I’ve ever applied for, I work for metrolink and see a lot of TPE staff and rolling stock at Manchester airport terminus and seeing the quality of the trains and how happy the employees looked I knew it was the company I wanted to work for.

Nykad

I had an email on Tuesday to ask me to go in for an interview on Wednesday at Man Picc and just got an email this morning saying that I’d been unsuccessful .

It’s been an interesting ride this application process compared to what I’m used to but I’ve enjoyed it over all and happy that I got as far as I did.

Good luck to those who are still in the process and to those starting on Monday!

klkl

Yeah to get to the DMI is an achievement in itself. Sorry it didn’t work out this time @Nykad

I bet @SLee is excited for training to start on Monday.

I wonder how many more positions they are recruiting for if the DMI are still ongoing.

iwasyoungonce

Well done, especially if you passed psychometric stages to TPE standard, I'm sure they will recruit again this year and your now in a stronger position for next time.

YingYing

I had an email on Tuesday to ask me to go in for an interview on Wednesday at Man Picc and just got an email this morning saying that I’d been unsuccessful .

It’s been an interesting ride this application process compared to what I’m used to but I’ve enjoyed it over all and happy that I got as far as I did.

Good luck to those who are still in the process and to those starting on Monday!
24 hours notice of an interview is a bit rough!
Sorry you didn't get through this time. As others have said you're in a much stronger position now you have the test passes under your belt. I hope you got some good feedback?

Nykad

Yeah I thought the 24hrs notice for the interview was a tad short but never mind, it’s all good experience. I’ll have another go in the future .

klkl

Yeah I thought the 24hrs notice for the interview was a tad short but never mind, it’s all good experience. I’ll have another go in the future .
Was Wednesday the only date available to you?

I think a previous video interview failure helped me with the MMI so you’re definitely right that the experience will be useful. Hopefully not too long a wait though!

TeaTrain

Good luck to all who is on their way to being Trainees at the various depots. You may remember my diary and how I began to tell everyone about the training process. Sorry I pulled it down but I am working with some other employees on something that will be far more useful. I appreciate the absurd amount of personal comments I receive but it is just too time consuming at the moment to answer them all as I prepare for my final pass out. You will understand when your there!

Just to put into perspective for those starting. I started two years ago and am still not reaching my hours. There is not enough instructors and there will also be another course in front of you. Who are now on traction from what I gather. They have no instructors either. Coupled with no RDW and a whole host of other issues it gets interesting. You will definitely get through all the classroom stuff and even through traction. It will slow down after that.
But let me say that TPE have been excellent. They are overall a good employer and your colleagues are excellent. I highly doubt I will move for the rest of my working career.

I believe approx. 30 drivers or more are needed over the next 1-2 years if that helps.

klkl

Just to put into perspective for those starting. I started two years ago and am still not reaching my hours.

But let me say that TPE have been excellent. They are overall a good employer and your colleagues are excellent. I highly doubt I will move for the rest of my working career.

I believe approx. 30 drivers or more are needed over the next 1-2 years if that helps.

Wow, sounds like you’ve been on a long journey, glad it’s going well.

Thanks for the insight, it’s appreciated, and good luck with passing out though it doesn’t sound like you need it :)

BlueMike26

Having waited since November to get invited for assessment, I finally got an email on Friday. Problem being it went to my junk, and I flew to Turkey Thursday morning on holiday so I missed it. Just had en email that hit my inbox reminding me to select an assessment date, but there are none available when I log in. Anyone experienced this? I figure I'll just have to email and see what they say, but hopefully I haven't missed the boat within 48h.

Nykad

Having waited since November to get invited for assessment, I finally got an email on Friday. Problem being it went to my junk, and I flew to Turkey Thursday morning on holiday so I missed it. Just had en email that hit my inbox reminding me to select an assessment date, but there are none available when I log in. Anyone experienced this? I figure I'll just have to email and see what they say, but hopefully I haven't missed the boat within 48h.

I had the same issue back in December. I emailed and was told that all spaces had been taken but that I would get an opportunity in the future.

Took a couple of months but they emailed with more dates and I had my assessment centre last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.