• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train departed 3 minutes ahead of schedule

Jamiescott1

The 1536 from maidenhead to marlow departed maidenhead at 1533 today.
It is scheduled to wait for the 1532 arrival from Paddington which arrived at 1534 so quite a few people have an hour waiting for the next service to marlow

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240326-153434_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240326-153434_Chrome.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 259
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
I once arrived at Stone station to see the doors closing. The guard saw me but did nothing to assist my boarding. I had time to walk to the passenger information phone to get the customer service assistance to confirm the time THEN was still 4 minutes before booked departure.

It made no difference. The train had gone and I had an hour to wait.

kacper

I once arrived at Stone station to see the doors closing. The guard saw me but did nothing to assist my boarding. I had time to walk to the passenger information phone to get the customer service assistance to confirm the time THEN was still 4 minutes before booked departure.

It made no difference. The train had gone and I had an hour to wait.
Would you be able to delay repay something like that?

Veteran Member
It is scheduled to wait for the 1532 arrival from Paddington which arrived at 1534 so quite a few people have an hour waiting for the next service to marlow
Classic case of a (justified) variation to the hourly offpeak timetable being overlooked, I fear.

barbette165

Classic case of a (justified) variation to the hourly offpeak timetable being overlooked, I fear.

The crew must have realised their error because, according to RTT, they waited for 3 minutes at Furze Platt and departed on time.

Parallel

Established Member
Isn’t it usually a five minute minimum connection time at stations? That Paddington - Didcot service is scheduled to arrive at 15:32, with the Marlow train due to depart at 15:36, giving only 4 minutes, or is the connection time 4 minutes at Maidenhead? Seems a bit tight even if everything is running on time.

skyhigh

Established Member
Isn’t it usually a five minute minimum connection time at stations? That Paddington - Didcot service is scheduled to arrive at 15:32, with the Marlow train due to depart at 15:36, giving only 4 minutes, or is the connection time 4 minutes at Maidenhead? Seems a bit tight even if everything is running on time.
Minimum connection time at Maidenhead is 3 minutes.

nw1

Established Member
Minimum connection time at Maidenhead is 3 minutes.

For one thing, they would surely not design the timetable so that the Marlow service departs 1 min before the minimum connection time - so it's pretty obvious the min connection time at Maidenhead is at most 4.

800Travel

Though you’d probably end up doing delay repay claim, appeal, then complaint to finally get the amount due. I claimed for an early departure causing a missed train before, different TOC but they were very difficult to claim from. Eventually they paid out though.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
For one thing, they would surely not design the timetable so that the Marlow service departs 1 min before the minimum connection time - so it's pretty obvious the min connection time at Maidenhead is at most 4.
They do precisely that in many places to stop it being a connection

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Pretty sure the timetable is built for the London-bound connection, not the other way around. Not to mention that the latter requires a walk over the bridge. Or at least it used to be when the Relief line service was predominantly GWR (now Elizabeth line)

Jamiescott1

Pretty sure the timetable is built for the London-bound connection, not the other way around. Not to mention that the latter requires a walk over the bridge. Or at least it used to be when the Relief line service was predominantly GWR (now Elizabeth line)
Depends on time of day. Afternoons into evenings its designed for London arrival connections.

Bikeman78

Established Member
You'd be brave to risk it though. I'd be inclined to catch the previous train.

Jamiescott1

You'd be brave to risk it though. I'd be inclined to catch the previous train.
There is no pattern or criteria of how long the marlow train will be held if the londoj arrival is late.
Sometimes it will be held for 4 minutes, other times it won't be held for even a minute.
If travelling off peak I will either take my bike (and cycle to marlow if i miss the connection) or catch the earlier Didcot stopper to leave me with a longer connection at Maidenhead as the Didcot stoppers often get delayed at dolphin junction