• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train drivers overpaid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I am indeed mate. It’s the only reason I’m having a bit of wind up. As I’ve got a get out jail free card by the fact I’m actually joining the dark side.

Where are you off to ?

I wouldn’t slag you all of otherwise.

Generally I think there is a good relationship between Drivers and Signallers. I've had a few funny moments and my fair share of more tense ones. We don't often meet on a professional basis but every time I've been in a box or had a meeting with a Signaller in it, its always pretty jovial and full of professional banter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Need2

I could count on one hand the amount of drivers that have actually used the SG button correctly in the years I’ve been signalling.
Slightly off topic I know but please could you tell me the ‘correct’ way to use the SG button?

dk1

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic I know but please could you tell me the ‘correct’ way to use the SG button?
It’s a button I rarely use. Always feel such a pest using it especially when it’s blinking obvious.

Seejwalker

Should be used to notify you’re at a red signal immediately or after two minutes if there’s an obvious reason.
There are many drivers out there happy to sit there for 5-10 minutes without saying a word.

Where are you off to ?
DRS Willesden Depot.

skyhigh

Established Member
Should be used to notify you’re at a red signal immediately or after two minutes if there’s an obvious reason.
There are many drivers out there happy to sit there for 5-10 minutes without saying a word.

DRS Willesden Depot.
Interesting to hear that from a signaller. I'm always on the SG button following the rules and I feel like I'm being a pest to the signaller. I won't feel so bad now :D

baz962

Established Member

DRS Willesden Depot.
It's cause we are all psychic and know the response... WAIT.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Guess I've been doing it wrong.. I press it as I hit the magnet <D

DRS Willesden Depot.

Congratulations on the new job.

AverageJoe

DRS Willesden Depot.
Is that in the rule book or pdp?
I remember discussing it but don’t remember reading it anywhere.

If I remember correctly it also stated to contact again every 5 minutes if told to wait.

Seejwalker

Guess I've been doing it wrong.. I press it as I hit the magnet
:lol:

It's cause we are all psychic and know the response... WAIT.

Definitely think drivers could benefit from visiting more signal boxes, especially some of the busier higher grade boxes.
I’ve never met a driver in the years I’ve been signalling.
Yet we go on cab rides to get an appreciation of your role.

(I’m not saying drivers don’t visit boxes, and I’m not saying you haven’t before, I’m speaking generally here)

Last edited by a moderator:

baz962

Established Member
:lol:

Definitely think drivers could benefit from visiting more signal boxes, especially some of the busier higher grade boxes.

(I’m not saying drivers don’t visit boxes, and I’m not saying you haven’t before, I’m speaking generally here)

No body asked you to be here mate.
I visited Wembley , one was asleep and one making tea and two were chatting and may possibly have been playing asteroids. I have never had a signaller in my cab o_O

AVK17

Local TOC round my way stopped signallers having access to driving cabs (with correct cab pass obviously) when covid kicked off and have said they have no plans to allow it again. It’s a real shame, we have lots of newly qualified siggys who have never had the chance to see the railway from the cab and maybe never will. A couple I’ve spoken to haven’t even ridden on a train as a passenger before!

Seejwalker

I visited Wembley , one was asleep and one making tea and two were chatting and may possibly have been playing asteroids. I have never had a signaller in my cab o_O
Careful with that mate on an open forum.

Local TOC round my way stopped signallers having access to driving cabs (with correct cab pass obviously) when covid kicked off and have said they have no plans to allow it again. It’s a real shame, we have lots of newly qualified siggys who have never had the chance to see the railway from the cab and maybe never will. A couple I’ve spoken to haven’t even ridden on a train as a passenger before!
It’s definitely a shame that’s the railway doesn’t promote experiencing other sectors to gain better understanding of the machine as a whole.

baz962

Established Member
Careful with that mate on an open forum.

It’s definitely a shame that’s the railway doesn’t promote experiencing other sectors to gain better understanding of the machine as a whole.
It hopefully is obviously a joke. But to clarify, three were working and one was showing us around.

Status
Not open for further replies.