• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train passes level crossing with barrier up at East Sheen

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT_USER

https://twitter.com/MarkBurridge1/status/1326528163539726336

Mark Burridge @MarkBurridge1

Barrier up but train passing... at East Sheen today

EmjGU11WEAA2CYB

Seems quite serious at a fairly busy crossing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengley

Established Member
Perfectly normal. If the barriers have failed in the up position but the road lights are flashing a train can proceed at caution over the crossing with the relevant authority from the controlling signaller

Barrier knocked off by a van soon after midday. Normal working around 15:00

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Barrier knocked off by a van soon after midday. Normal working around 15:00
Scary photo sent to Twitter to exaggerate the situation and imply it’s a railway issue? Whatever next.

It looks like the fault never made it onto NRES disruptions either...

GLC

Perfectly normal. If the barriers have failed in the up position but the road lights are flashing a train can proceed at caution over the crossing with the relevant authority from the controlling signaller
Out of interest, how would a (train) driver know if the crossing had failed in some way? Would the signaller get in touch with the driver, or would the driver just be following single yellows for that portion of the route?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Out of interest, how would a (train) driver know if the crossing had failed in some way? Would the signaller get in touch with the driver, or would the driver just be following single yellows for that portion of the route?

Yes. For this type of crossing, the protecting signals won’t clear. The signaller will speak to the driver of each train, advising that the crossing has failed, and advising to pass the signal at danger, proceeding across the crossing at low speed being prepared to STP short of any obstruction.

TheEdge

Established Member
Scary photo sent to Twitter to exaggerate the situation and imply it’s a railway issue? Whatever next.

Scary photo probably didn't include the caution the driver will have received at the protecting signal, the instruction to "approach East Sheen crossing at caution, cross only if safe to do so", the slow approach, near stop, horn sound and slow crossing of said level crossing.

Bow Fell

Scary photo probably didn't include the caution the driver will have received at the protecting signal, the instruction to "approach East Sheen crossing at caution, cross only if safe to do so", the slow approach, near stop, horn sound and slow crossing of said level crossing.

The MOM is probably at the scene too, but we wouldn’t want the picture to include that would we?!

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
To be fair, the photo looks like it was taken by somebody in a car at the crossing, who doesn't likely know the nuances of what happens when crossing gates have failed, and has just seen that the barriers are up with a train passing the crossing. Now, there's always more to a situation than one photograph - users here will know what the procedure is when a gate fails for whatever reason, but an average driver will not and see/think 'Gate up, train passing, dangerous!'. If I found myself here, I'd not necessarily know that it was 'correct' - but then again, I'd probably call 101 or 999 rather than tweet about it. (Although, there's nothing to say that this tweeter didn't do that too!)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
“Train speeds through crossing with barriers raised”

“horrified commuters”

“Terrified horses and small children screamed as train hurtled through open rail crossing”

Come on media you missed a trick there !

Tomnick

Established Member
To be fair, the photo looks like it was taken by somebody in a car at the crossing, who doesn't likely know the nuances of what happens when crossing gates have failed, and has just seen that the barriers are up with a train passing the crossing. Now, there's always more to a situation than one photograph - users here will know what the procedure is when a gate fails for whatever reason, but an average driver will not and see/think 'Gate up, train passing, dangerous!'. If I found myself here, I'd not necessarily know that it was 'correct' - but then again, I'd probably call 101 or 999 rather than tweet about it. (Although, there's nothing to say that this tweeter didn't do that too!)
The Tweeter helpfully confirms that he didn't report it to anyone.

2020-11-11.png

godfreycomplex

Established Member
“Train speeds through crossing with barriers raised”

“horrified commuters”

“Terrified horses and small children screamed as train hurtled through open rail crossing”

Come on media you missed a trick there !

“Bus full of nuns has HORRIFYING escape”

“A child’s teddy bear lies at the side of the road by this TRAGEDY”

“IMMIGRANTS raised this barrier in front of some long suffering commuting homeless veterans, and YOU’RE PAYING FOR IT”

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member

Each train had a reason for the delay added to it, rather than a general disruption notice it seems.

Perhaps each delay wasn't considered long enough the matter, even though on some services they cancelled stops.

londonbridge

Established Member
The beauty of these forums is that I can learn something new about the railway with every visit. Had I not been a member, if I'd witnessed this I, like others, would very likely have thought 'what on earth???.....'

pdeaves

Established Member
The flashing red lights mean stop, barrier or no barrier, don't they? So the crossing is safe if road users obey the indications as they should rather than rely on 'nothing stopped me'.

najaB

Veteran Member
Didn't think to do the right thing and report it, but felt he needed to tell the rest of the world. [sighs]. It's a good job Network Rail were already aware of the situation.
To be fair, would the average person know who to report it to? There's not actually been an accident, so calling 999 seems like it would be a waste of time (which people are advised against). Many people still don't know that 101 exists. Would the man on the street who rarely/never uses the train know about BTP or Network Rail?

LAX54

Established Member

Would they not think, well it is going so slow over the crossing, they know about it ?

Efini92

Established Member
Yes. For this type of crossing, the protecting signals won’t clear. The signaller will speak to the driver of each train, advising that the crossing has failed, and advising to pass the signal at danger, proceeding across the crossing at low speed being prepared to STP short of any obstruction.
Would it have signals? Looks like an automatic.

Efini92

Established Member
It is a half barrier

Edit: Actually I don’t think it is. I thought it was as there’s only visible barriers on half but they are on the wrong sides of the road

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It is a half barrier

Edit: Actually I don’t think it is. I thought it was as there’s only visible barriers on half but they are on the wrong sides of the road
As you say. It only looks a bit like a half barrier at first glance (from the direction photographed) because the left barrier has previously been removed by a van. Then you probably notice they’re actually up on the offsides, and the far near side barrier is down behind the 455.

(I welcome correction but I expect both offside barriers that are in the up position wouldn't descend because the correct sequence waits for both near side barriers to be proved down first.)

matt_world2004

Established Member
I don't know why the person who took the pictures is getting grief for not contacting someone. They contacted network rail via twitter that was probably the first point of contact they thought of.

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't know why the person who took the pictures is getting grief for not contacting someone. They contacted network rail via twitter that was probably the first point of contact they thought of.
Actually, it was one of the replies to the original person that included Network Rail.
1605266831567.png

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just for info, this sort of incident happens almost every single day somewhere on the Network. It’s not unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.