• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver - Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRailwayWay

I got through, I'm from Birmingham, google says it would take me 45 minutes to commute one way to Etches Park which I presume is where the job is located and I'm fine with that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashxmufcx

For those who've been shortlisted, have any of you had any dates yet for the assessment day? Obviously I've done my research for the tests online but doesn't anyone know exactly what it entails?

nick40uk

For those who've been shortlisted, have any of you had any dates yet for the assessment day? Obviously I've done my research for the tests online but doesn't anyone know exactly what it entails?

I would imagine there won't be anything happening this side of Christmas but then I could be wrong. They will send you practice material. Just read the e-mail and they will be in contact with regards to Stage 1.

DriverToBe

It does state on the job advert the dates of the assessments.

steviebuk

It does state on the job advert the dates of the assessments.

Trainee Depot Driver description
For the he ones that never read and retained the information.

Drivers
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £33,429
Closing Date: Sunday 22 November 2015
Reference: 2015-207

Are you, self-aware and safety conscious?
Can you concentrate for long periods of time working alone?
Do you have the desire to learn and the discipline to keep your knowledge up to date?
Do you have a personable, positive and professional attitude?

If you have all of the above qualities then a Depot Driver position could be a great career move. East Midlands Trains is an award winning Train Operating Company (TOC) including being the Passenger Train Operator of the Year 2014 and the Most Improved TOC for Customer Satisfaction 2014. Depot Drivers are an integral part of this award winning team. The successful candidates will need to be of excellent calibre due the high levels of responsibility in this safety critical role. Excellent communication skills are an essential attribute for Depot Drivers to ensure a safe and efficient working environment.

All Depot Drivers will be subject to continual assessment both within their training period and throughout their career as a Depot Driver. Following compliance and strict policy you’ll be responsible for Depot driving, shunting, light maintenance and other tasks such as fault finding and reporting. You will also be responsible for checking that the train environment is up to our market leading standards.

As a Depot Driver you will be required to work 37 hours per week over a 24 hour roster with Sundays forming part of the working week.

Natural progression for Depot Drivers is to become the Mainline Drivers of the future. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to begin a fulfilling career with East Midlands Trains.

You will need to be flexible, resilient, an excellent team player and have the ability to follow set rules and procedures. You will be expected to undergo 3 stages of testing as part of the recruitment process and be expected to meet the OPC driver assessment to Mainline Standards as well as succesful completion of a driver medical.

At East Midlands Trains we value diversity and are committed to ensuring equality across our organisation. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Women, younger people and ethnic minority groups are currently under-represented within our Depot Driver population and are encouraged to apply.

Candidates will need to be age 21+ to become a Depot Driver in line with National Standards.

Assessments dates:

• Stage 1- WC 11th January

• Stage 2- WC 25th January

• Stage 3- WC 15th February

• Occupational Health appointments to take place for successful candidates- End February 2016

• Traning Courses will commence at a number of dates throughout 2016

The successful candidates will enjoy a competitive salary, and comprehensive on-going training. East Midlands Trains offers a wide range of benefits from a final salary pension scheme to free travel of the East Midlands Trains network. You will also receive subsidised travel across the rail network with other train operation companies.

To apply please complete the online application form and upload your CV.

The closing date for this job opportunity has now passed, and applications are no longer being accepted for this position

We promote equal opportunites for all. East Midlands Trains is a non-discriminatory employer committed to the recruitment and promotion of all on the basis of ability and merit irrespective of disability, race, gender, health, social class, sexual preference, marital status, nationality, religion, employment status or age. We’ll treat your application fairly and assess you for the job based on merit and skills.

MrJB

I'm guessing some of you guys who got through already work for a TOC?

I'm still trying to work out where I went wrong in my application, I thought it was bullet proof

Ashxmufcx

For those of you that have actually sat the assessments before, what is the best way to prepare for the tests? I have a good idea but would like to hear it from the 'horses mouth'. Is there any material online that is worth ordering? I've seen a few but didn't know if they would turn out to be irrelevant or just a money making scam.

Last edited:

nick40uk

For those of you that have actually sat the assessments before, what is the best way to prepare for the tests? I have a good idea but would like to hear it from the 'horses mouth'. Is there any material online that is worth ordering? I've seen a few but didn't know if they would turn out to be irrelevant or just a money making scam.

They will send you some practice material which will also explain how the tests work and what is expected in each one. Use that and you should be fine.

LFCUK

OMG just looked at my emails and ive been shortlisted :) im so happy but at the same time realise that i have a long way to go...

Might sound like a silly question but for the Stage 1 Testing would it be best to wear a suit and tie?

Gemz91

OMG just looked at my emails and ive been shortlisted :) im so happy but at the same time realise that i have a long way to go...

Might sound like a silly question but for the Stage 1 Testing would it be best to wear a suit and tie?

People turned up wearing all sorts for my stage 1 testing. No harm in wearing a suit though, first impressions and all that lot. You never know who your going to pass in the corridors whilst your there.

DavidUK

I got through the sift as well. Already got an assessment date for FTPE trainee train driver on Wednesday so they will take my results from that for this position.

LFCUK

People turned up wearing all sorts for my stage 1 testing. No harm in wearing a suit though, first impressions and all that lot. You never know who your going to pass in the corridors whilst your there.

Thanks, think I might just go smart casual and if I get to the interview stage I will go suited and booted!

Again sorry if this has been asked already but do you know what Stage 1 test will involve?

Ellb123

Hey, new to the forum. I got shortlisted for the position in Derby and extremely excited. Was wondering if any of you have received a further e-mail about the stage 1 testing? Do they send the material in the post or is it online? Thanks

nick40uk

Hey, new to the forum. I got shortlisted for the position in Derby and extremely excited. Was wondering if any of you have received a further e-mail about the stage 1 testing? Do they send the material in the post or is it online? Thanks

The practice material will more than likely be sent in the post.

I received an e-mail today from HR. They're awaiting info from The OPC about people who've done the assessments already so they can work out how many need to do stage 1 and who can go straight to stage 2. Should hear in the next few days.

Ellb123

Yeah got that e-mail aswell. Just wish they would send the material out soon so I know what to expect on the test. Tried researching what happens but its not coming up with much. Good luck to everyone who got through.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anybody heard anymore from them? Seems to have gone quiet.??????

Peter_Moz

got my email reply today im in for stage 1 testing/the interview lol cant wait, never done anything like this before brand new role, good luck to everyone taking part.

Ellb123

Just got my e-mail! I was getting very worried they were going to reject my application. Can't wait for the first stage. See you all there.

LFCUK

For those that attend before the 13th please do give us a heads up of what to expect! Still not sure if I should where a suit or just go smart casual..

Ellb123

Not yet

Have you got to do the assessments or have you already passed?

This is my first time, so I've got to everything. Got my interview in the 12th. I was looking out for an email with the title from "jobs at East Midlands" but looking back through it was an email from a tania Basile which I missed until this morning. (She sent it yesterday at 16:00 even though I was checking every hour haha) See if you got one from her.

nick40uk

Just got an e-mail from Tania. Going to assessments on 13/01 at 8:40am but am only doing the Group Bordon. It also seems to imply that there will be an interview too but not sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.