• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver info

Marc-1

Hi ,I have a been offered a trainee driver role with southeastern and have my medical in a week or so . I already drive light rail for a living and wear varifocal glasses full time and have done for several years . My paperwork for the medical says I can only have bifocal glasses which I have now purchased and they are absolutely rubbish in comparison to the varifocals . I’m at a complete loss as to why this is and can’t find any reason anywhere online , even two separate opticians are unable to answer this question and think it must be a mistake. Could anyone shed some light on this please

also is it four weekly or monthly salary please

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
I’m at a complete loss as to why this is and can’t find any reason anywhere online

The information is available online.

, even two separate opticians are unable to answer this question

Were they occupational health opticians who know and understand the specific railway requirements ?

and think it must be a mistake.

*It isn't

Could anyone shed some light on this please

The railway runs to 'Group Standards' and various legal requirements. The medical requirements for Train Drivers are very specific. The reason for the medical is so that every Driver meets the minimum standard so that they can work safely and our railway is safe for everyone to use or work in.

You are about to enter an industry where everything is rigid and needs to comply with some standard or law written somewhere. It can be quite difficult to adapt to this new working culture. to this day I still find it a little, for the want of a better word, odd.

Congratulations on the new job and welcome to this weird and wonderful place.

also is it four weekly or monthly salary please

You would have been sent this information and also provided it at your DMI. Pretty much everyone on the Railway is 4 weekly, pay dates vary between TOCs

* currently...

Marc-1

Thanks so much for all the helpful the info , although the only thing I would say is the information online doesn’t actually explain “why” you can’t have varifocal but can have bifocals which in my opinion of wearing glasses for years are inferior as have a blurred line across the lens where as varifocals have a smooth transition between lenses

Train_manager

Thanks so much for all the helpful the info , although the only thing I would say is the information online doesn’t actually explain “why” you can’t have varifocal but can have bifocals which in my opinion of wearing glasses for years are inferior as have a blurred line across the lens where as varifocals have a smooth transition between lenses

Welcome to the railway.

You will probably never find out "why" you can't wear them. Rules are rules.

Plus your required to carry a spare set of glasses as well. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Matt123

What specific issues are you having with the bifocals?

Is it because the bottom half is focussing too closely for you to be able to see the desk?

Feel free to send me a PM if you’d rather - I’m in the optical industry so will hopefully be able to help.

Last edited:

Marc-1

I’m happy with my varifocals and find it easy to see and focus anywhere and without moving my head around to much. The bifocals on the other hand have a blurry portion in the centre of my vision and find it awkward to focus on dials which could be an arms length or more away which causes me to be moving my head up and down constantly . I never ever have this problem with the varifocals

Matt123

The blurry part in the centre - is this when looking straight ahead into the distance?

Re: the dials, your optician should be able to change the prescription in the lower half of the lens to account for the distance of your dials.

Marc-1

The blurry part in the centre - is this when looking straight ahead into the distance?

Re: the dials, your optician should be able to change the prescription in the lower half of the lens to account for the distance of your dials.
I’ll do that thank for your help

Stigy

Established Member
Again, we have group standards which are only group standards to suit and depending on who you speak to in occ health and which TOC you work for. Same with the prescription strength too.

I have been using varifocals for the past year and was told by our Occ Health these were fine.

Hi ,I have a been offered a trainee driver role with southeastern and have my medical in a week or so . I already drive light rail for a living and wear varifocal glasses full time and have done for several years . My paperwork for the medical says I can only have bifocal glasses which I have now purchased and they are absolutely rubbish in comparison to the varifocals . I’m at a complete loss as to why this is and can’t find any reason anywhere online , even two separate opticians are unable to answer this question and think it must be a mistake.
You’ll find that most opticians don’t really have a clue about railway standards and you’ll have to tell them what you need. I had this issue with sunglasses and in the end just dictated the required standard to them that they were required to meet and said “will these lenses meet this standard…” and even then there was nothing definitive, it was just a “all our glasses should meet that standard” kind of response. In the end I just formed the view that as long as the lenses were grey or brown, I’m happy.

Last edited:

Matt123

Please don't. Change to Bi-Focals. Do everything you can to meet the railway standards.
He has bifocals and is struggling with them; my suggestion is to amend the prescription in the lower half of the bifocal lens so he can more easily focus on his dials.

Source: I am a Dispensing Optician

Marc-1

Thanks for all your help and comments . I now have a pair of bifocals that I am getting used to and will be seeing seeing an optician this week to discuss getting another spare pair with mid range to see which works best in my current job , once I actually start with my new position I can see which works best and get another pair then

ComUtoR

Established Member
When you get a new pair. Take a copy of the railway standards with you. It may save further issues down the line. Vision standards are due to change soon but depending on which TOC, you will also need a second spare pair. Some TOCs will either provide a pair or there is a contribution to the costs.