• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers (Talent Bank) - Avanti - Multiple Locations (02/10/22)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shinigami

Is it only me that's still waiting for a dmi date? Getting frustrated now, have been waiting for a date since January!
Your wait time is about the same as everyone else’s at the minute. I only had my DMI recently and I was waiting since early December. If you’ve only been waiting since January then it’s still not as long as some of us have had to wait. Which depot did you apply for?

SuitOrHotel

Your wait time is about the same as everyone else’s at the minute. I only had my DMI recently and I was waiting since early December. If you’ve only been waiting since January then it’s still not as long as some of us have had to wait. Which depot did you apply for?
The wait time was from the middle of December but due to Christmas and New year I knew there would be a backlog. Just seems like everyone else has either had their interviews or have an interview date which is why I asked if theres anybody else waiting. I applied for Manchester mate.

Shinigami

The wait time was from the middle of December but due to Christmas and New year I knew there would be a backlog. Just seems like everyone else has either had their interviews or have an interview date which is why I asked if theres anybody else waiting. I applied for Manchester mate.
My apologies, you said January at first and that would have been the same amount of time as me as I waiting from the start of December to the end of March. If you had yours at the same time as me then yes, you’ve had a longer wait as I received my date about 2 weeks ago. When you do receive it though, it tends to be about a week after you get a date that you have the interview. I noticed in the other thread that they have a backlog for certain depots and are prioritising at the minute. Ironically though, it looks as though Liverpool is one of the priorities. Euston, Manchester and Edinburgh seem to be pushed back so maybe that’s why. But I’m purely speculating. Maybe it’s worth sending an email to the OPC to confirm?

SuitOrHotel

My apologies, you said January at first and that would have been the same amount of time as me as I waiting from the start of December to the end of March. If you had yours at the same time as me then yes, you’ve had a longer wait as I received my date about 2 weeks ago. When you do receive it though, it tends to be about a week after you get a date that you have the interview. I noticed in the other thread that they have a backlog for certain depots and are prioritising at the minute. Ironically though, it looks as though Liverpool is one of the priorities. Euston, Manchester and Edinburgh seem to be pushed back so maybe that’s why. But I’m purely speculating. Maybe it’s worth sending an email to the OPC to confirm?
Yeah my bad I should’ve worded it better. I’ve emailed the opc twice now and I’ve gotten the same generic response “interviews are being arranged based around driver manager availability we will be in touch soon”.

Its just getting frustrating now I’m happy for everyone else progressing to the next stage but I find it confusing that they still have a backlog of candidates from the last recruitment drive and then they decided to do another lol.

You aren’t alone!! I’m waiting for one too since Jan!!! It’s craaaaaazy
Glad to see I’m not the only one haha I guess we will have to stick it out together lol

Shinigami

Yeah my bad I should’ve worded it better. I’ve emailed the opc twice now and I’ve gotten the same generic response “interviews are being arranged based around driver manager availability we will be in touch soon”.

Its just getting frustrating now I’m happy for everyone else progressing to the next stage but I find it confusing that they still have a backlog of candidates from the last recruitment drive and then they decided to do another lol.

Glad to see I’m not the only one haha I guess we will have to stick it out together lol
Honestly, I have no idea what the logic is behind the new recruitment drive when they haven’t finished the current one to be honest. It seems as though they are struggling a bit with our recruitment drive, still have interviews to do and surely there are not that many vacancies. Not that many people have failed the DMI it seems and there have been 3 courses that I know of that appear to be full for the year as most of us who have entered the pool don’t have dates. I’m curious to know what’s going on from the inside

And I can add to the good news over here - in the talent bank for Euston! :E
Lovely! Congratulations. We might even end up in the same course and depot! Welcome to the purgatory known as the talent pool. Let the next wait begin, fingers crossed it’s not too long

And I can add to the good news over here - in the talent bank for Euston! :E
I’m being REALLY optimistic with this but, what I’m hoping is that they’re just waiting for our group to finish out DMIs and put us all on the a course in August. I’m not expecting anything until next year but that’s what I’m hoping for

Last edited:

Aviator88

DMI pass received by email today and into the talent pool for my family member.

Congrats to your family member!

Lovely! Congratulations. We might even end up in the same course and depot! Welcome to the purgatory known as the talent pool. Let the next wait begin, fingers crossed it’s not long

Cheers! Interesting thought regarding August as well... Also, I'm not sure where those already allocated courses are training, but one of the DMs for my interview did mention that Euston is actually a regional training centre as well...

Shinigami

Congrats to your family member!

Cheers! Interesting thought regarding August as well... Also, I'm not sure where those already allocated courses are training, but one of the DMs for my interview did mention that Euston is actually a regional training centre as well...
It will be Crewe or Glasgow. I’ve not seen a single person in any forum or anyone that I know that currently works there, or has worked there in the past, say that they trained in Euston so I’d say it’s unlikely that we will be there.

Aviator88

It will be Crewe or Glasgow. I’ve not seen a single person in any forum or anyone that I know that currently works there, or has worked there in the past, say that they trained in Euston so I’d say it’s unlikely that we will be there.

Nor I, but I found it interesting that they thought to mention it!

Shinigami

Nor I, but I found it interesting that they thought to mention it!
I wouldn’t mind if it was in Euston to be honest, it would save me a long journey but I’m happy either way. Just looking forward to starting in any capacity really. I’m weirdly looking forward to all the classroom bits as well. It’s odd for some I’m sure but I’m looking forward to the information overload

FPL_FM

Hello guys. My first time posting here so be nice haha..

I passed all my assessments on Febuary 13th to go into the talent pool for Avanti and have been waiting since.

Yesterday I received a phone call to start my training course 30/10/2023 in Polmaide just outside of Glasgow to be based at Liverpool depot.

Is anyone else on that course? Good luck to everyone doing their assessments and congrats to everyone awaiting a start course date.

st1995

I passed all my assessments on Febuary 13th to go into the talent pool for Avanti and have been waiting since.

Yesterday I received a phone call to start my training course 30/10/2023 in Polmaide just outside of Glasgow to be based at Liverpool depot.

Is anyone else on that course? Good luck to everyone doing their assessments and congrats to everyone awaiting a start course date.
Congratulations mate! Its nice to hear someone from Liverpool got onto a course, so far its just been people who applied for Euston as far as im aware!
You have just gave me some hope haha

Shinigami

First of, congratulation! And Welcome to the forum. Happy to hear you’ve got a date and thanks for sharing. Myself and I assume a few others, we’re under the impression that there would be no more courses this year so hearing there’s an October course as well is a pleasant surprise. Fingers crossed they will be adding more of us from this recruitment drive onto courses this year.

Can I just ask, did you mean that you passed your DMI on feb 13th?

GLENMAYE77

Congrats.

Think that’s 4 people I know of confirmed in the Liverpool talent pool or have a course.

Shinigami

Congratulations mate! Its nice to hear someone from Liverpool got onto a course, so far its just been people who applied for Euston as far as im aware!
Really? I know of multiple please that are on the course for Liverpool. This is 4 or 5 for me that I’ve seen this far

FPL_FM

Hello mate. I made a point of asking what was their plan an the nice lady said to me she was making her way through the Manchester an liverpool.batch of people waiting a course who applied at the same time as me. I passed my Driver manager interview Feb 13th if that's for anyone to go off

First of, congratulation! And Welcome to the forum. Happy to hear you’ve got a date and thanks for sharing. Myself and I assume a few others, we’re under the impression that there would be no more courses this year so hearing there’s an October course as well is a pleasant surprise. Fingers crossed they will be adding more of us from this recruitment drive onto courses this year.

Can I just ask, did you mean that you passed your DMI on feb 13th?
Thanks mate! Yeahh I passed my drivers interview in Feb 13th and got the email of passing on the 13th.

Been waiting a while but just happy to get a set date

Last edited:

davedma

Honestly, I have no idea what the logic is behind the new recruitment drive when they haven’t finished the current one to be honest. It seems as though they are struggling a bit with our recru
Probably advertising early so that the people who got rejected couldn’t re apply as it’s with 6 months

Shinigami

Probably advertising early so that the people who got rejected couldn’t re apply as it’s with 6 months
That’s actually a brilliant point. I didn’t think of that. Makes sense that they wouldn’t want the same group of failed applicants back so soon. And it was literally just shy of the 6 month mark.
Might seem harsh but it’s probably for the best for those applicants as it gives them more time rather than rushing straight back in and losing their last life

Aviator88

I wouldn’t mind if it was in Euston to be honest, it would save me a long journey but I’m happy either way. Just looking forward to starting in any capacity really. I’m weirdly looking forward to all the classroom bits as well. It’s odd for some I’m sure but I’m looking forward to the information overload

I'm roughly equidistant from both Crewe and Euston right now, at least as far as travelling times go, so one is as close as the other in so much as it will be a hotel job either way!

I don't think that's odd at all mate. There's something incredibly satisfying about learning an important new skill, especially one so comprehensive and pursuant to one's dream job. I totally understand your excitement.

Congratulations!

Sat my DMI this week. So hopefully waiting to get a response next week to see if I passed or not.

Was told in the interview all spaces on courses have been taken for this year. So if successful course dates in 2024.

Did you hear back yet mate?

Last edited:

rhys37429

I'm roughly equidistant from both Crewe and Euston right now, at least as far as travelling times go, so one is as close as the other in so much as it will be a hotel job either way!

I don't think that's odd at all mate. There's something incredibly satisfying about learning an important new skill, especially one so comprehensive and pursuant to one's dream job. I totally understand your excitement.

Congratulations!

Did you hear back yet mate?

Passed the DMI been placed in the talent pool.

Shinigami

Passed the DMI been placed in the talent pool.
Nice one pal, congratulations

Anyone still awaiting their DMI date?

No not at all. I dont even know if I'm in the talent pool. I literally only had DMI this week.
But thats what the Lead Talent Acquisition lady told me when I asked.
Did you ever hear back and find out if you are in the Talent bank or not?

Last edited:

Jordan1991

Not the best news for those of us in the Manc pool. I’ve been told by a driver at northern that around 90 drivers from Victoria and more from Picc have applied for driving roles with Avanti at Manc Picc.

It’s all a bit strange how things are being run, it doesn’t fill me with much hope that we’ll end up getting a chance at this rate.

nolypops83

Not the best news for those of us in the Manc pool. I’ve been told by a driver at northern that around 90 drivers from Victoria and more from Picc have applied for driving roles with Avanti at Manc Picc.

It’s all a bit strange how things are being run, it doesn’t fill me with much hope that we’ll end up getting a chance at this rate.
Have they advertised for qualified drivers or do you mean they've applied for the trainee role?

irish_rail

Established Member

I wouldn't worry. The government pay avanti to take on apprentices (trainees). They seem to have very little appetite to take on qualifieds and indeed don't advertise for qualifieds at the majority of depots. They will still take on trainees and most of this 90 (dubious id say) qualidfied drivers will be rejected, with no doubt a few "faces that fit" cherry picked.

Jordan1991

I wouldn't worry. The government pay avanti to take on apprentices (trainees). They seem to have very little appetite to take on qualifieds and indeed don't advertise for qualifieds at the majority of depots. They will still take on trainees and most of this 90 (dubious id say) qualidfied drivers will be rejected, with no doubt a few "faces that fit" cherry picked.
This is my thinking. However, being that Manc Picc is already at capacity for drivers, taking even a few more fully trained from other depots will surely mean we are waiting much longer than normal. Hopefully not, but it’s not a positive either way