• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trans Pennine Express - Overpriced waste of space ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Looks as if ASLEF drivers with TPE are now going on strike on two separate days next month, 5th and 9th Nov. More info here.

TPE said:
We are disappointed that our driver colleagues represented by the union ASLEF have voted in favour of industrial action. They have informed us that they intend to strike from 00:01 to 23:59 on Tuesday 05 November 2013 and 00:01 to 23:59 on Saturday 09 November 2013...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XC drivers were also due to strike for the same reasons next week but ASLEF have suspended the action to allow further talks with management.

Yes, I believe both TPE and XC drivers want the amount of rest days in their roster brought into line with other TOCs, seems a fair enough request. There could be a lot more to it though.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Glad I decided to follow this thread. My wife and I had intended to use First TPE on Saturday, 9th November from Manchester Piccadilly to visit Selby, but we won't bother now and will use the alternative Northern Rail service from Manchester Victoria instead.

Last edited:

TOCDriver

Glad I decided to follow this thread. My wife and I had intended to use First TPE on Saturday, 9th November from Manchester Piccadilly to visit Selby, but we won't bother now and will use the alternative Northern Rail service from Manchester Victoria instead.

To tell you the truth, I would always use the Selby service from MCV - you'll be much more likely to get a seat AND be in more comfortable surroundings on the 158's.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
To tell you the truth, I would always use the Selby service from MCV - you'll be much more likely to get a seat AND be in more comfortable surroundings on the 158's.

Just been comparing matters:-

Manchester Piccadilly to Selby (commencing after 0930....return mid-afternoon)
Using TPE Club 55 with Senior Citizen Railcard extra discount....£14.40

Manchester Victoria to Selby (commencing after 0930...return mid-afternoon)
Using Senior Citizen Railcard...£16.55.

TOCDriver

Just been comparing matters:-

Manchester Piccadilly to Selby (commencing after 0930....return mid-afternoon)
Using TPE Club 55 with Senior Citizen Railcard extra discount....£14.40

Manchester Victoria to Selby (commencing after 0930...return mid-afternoon)
Using Senior Citizen Railcard...£16.55.

Aye, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Why not try both services for a while. You may find that paying the extra couple of quid is well worth it. I always try to avoid the TPE's if I can.

harz99

Aye, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Why not try both services for a while. You may find that paying the extra couple of quid is well worth it. I always try to avoid the TPE's if I can.

And I always try to avoid Northern 158s if I can, owing to them being dirty, cold in the winter/hot in the summer, and cramped unless you happen to be a 5 foot tall teenager.

Welshman

Established Member

Always providing a 158 turned-up, and not a 150, or even worse, a 155. Then, anyone over 5ft tall will face a rather uncomfortable journey.

ianhr

And I always try to avoid Northern 158s if I can, owing to them being dirty, cold in the winter/hot in the summer, and cramped unless you happen to be a 5 foot tall teenager.

The table seats are ok and even the face to back seats if you get a double to yourself. There are different types of seat cushions on the 158's, those which are excessively thick (for heaven knows what reason because they are not more comfortable!) leave very little leg room; the thinner type are ok.

Better a seat on a 158 than having to stand on a 185 or 170 while also contending with mountains of luggage, laptops, kindle readers, Christmas shopping etc etc. The Man Vic Caldervalley route may be cheaper when Club 55 is not available on TPE. It also has better scenery and the historic structures of Stephenson's Manchester & Leeds railway, the first in the world to traverse hill country. The tedious bit is the unfortunate detour via Bradford.

TOCDriver

I haven't found them to be dirty at all or cramped and I'm 6'2'' tall. Each to their own I guess

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just plonked myself down into a bouncy 158 seat on a York to Leeds. Nearest thing in comfort on the modern railway to a phase 1 CIG.
For their troubles, Northern also seem to have the best trains !

Last edited:

Ships

Do they charge a premium? On which journeys?

Huddersfield - Leeds?
Preston - Manchester?
York - Leeds?
Sheffield - Doncaster?

(if anything, TPE can be cheaper than Northern as they do advance fares whilst Northern generally don't)

Not sure that "express trains" require them to be fairly empty?

The good news is that most TPE journeys are going to be run by EMUs in a few years time, which will mean longer trains, faster services etc.

Realistically, what else were TPE meant to do, since the engines for 185 coaches couldn't be built any more after the Government's delay and they had to take on the Scottish services (to allow more Cheshire - London services to run). All the fault of the DfT, not TPE

This! I'm not sure where your getting this premium rubbish from. My tickets work on northern and TPE just the same.

Howardh

Established Member
My major bugbear with TPE is just how darned cold the carriages get....even in the depths of winter the air-con will be on competing with the tiny amount of heat coming from the radiators.

It's worse, of course, if you've got soaking wet on the platform so on the train you can add wind-chill from the air-con into the equation. There's just ONE seat which isn't below the airflow - I head for it every time, even if it means putting up with the smell from the bogs!

Fortunately my journeys are usually less than 30 minutes, but due to time restrictions I've had to book to Glasgow with them in January*. Absolutely dreading the 2.5 hrs I'll be enduring...and it's no different in first class either. Luckily it's back with a nice, cozy Virgin.

ADDS - here's half a chance this could be a new electric service with the M/cr-Newton Le Willows section supposed the be electrified by the end of Dec??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.