• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Did anything ever come out of that tap on tap off thing they made a big deal about a few years ago? Looking back on it I saw them announce it then never saw or heard about it again as if it never existed.
You can tap on and off Transdev and be charged the relevant daily rate or sum of fares, whichever is cheaper. However, the rollout was very extended, with Burnley getting it much later than other places.

I haven't used it, as I usually know which ticket I'll need for a day, or I'll need a multi-operator one, which hasn't happened in West Yorkshire yet, despite noises a couple of years ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
Or promote using the Transdev app and for people who can't use the app or when the app isn't working can then buy a ticket from the driver.
They do promote the app

But promoting it doesn’t help a long queue on a Christmas Saturday that is there at that moment

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
They do promote the app

But promoting it doesn’t help a long queue on a Christmas Saturday that is there at that moment
I personally find their app to be worse than First's, perhaps some improvements would make it more favourable and it would be cheaper for Transdev.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
They do promote the app

Usage was getting quite high until it got cheaper for most people to to pay £2 every trip. And although you can get a £2 ticket in the app, it's not easier or cheaper for people, so most don't.

I personally find their app to be worse than First's, perhaps some improvements would make it more favourable and it would be cheaper for Transdev.
What don't you like? I find it to be one of the better ones.

SCH117X

Established Member
The layout, I find it a bit messy, First's is tidier. Also, I don't like how when I open it, it zooms into Starbeck on a map.
Settings - Start Screen - change it to what you want.
If you have Location turned on your phone it should go to your location on the map rather than Starbeck

WAB

Did anything ever come out of that tap on tap off thing they made a big deal about a few years ago? Looking back on it I saw them announce it then never saw or heard about it again as if it never existed.
When I’ve asked for a paper ticket on the Coastliner, I’ve been told to just tap on (no need to tap off). If you're going more than a few stops on Transdev services, it's going to be £2 anyway. At least it's not like First who as far as I can tell have a £2 flat fare in operation anyway!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
When I’ve asked for a paper ticket on the Coastliner, I’ve been told to just tap on (no need to tap off). If you're going more than a few stops on Transdev services, it's going to be £2 anyway. At least it's not like First who as far as I can tell have a £2 flat fare in operation anyway!
First in West Yorkshire have a fare of £1.60, typically available for up to 4 stops.

In different news, Malton and York (Rawcliffe) depots are to be merged in March, and Malton downsized significantly to just run the locals and a couple of Coastliners (probably Whitbys as I don’t think you can do York > Whitby > York within 5h30, thus going over drivers’ hours), with the majority of Coastliner moving to York depot

This won’t happen should York depot win any extra work between now and March however

This move is extremely unpopular with Malton-based drivers

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
In different news, Malton and York (Rawcliffe) depots are to be merged in March, and Malton downsized significantly to just run the locals and a couple of Coastliners (probably Whitbys as I don’t think you can do York > Whitby > York within 5h30, thus going over drivers’ hours), with the majority of Coastliner moving to York depot

This won’t happen should York depot win any extra work between now and March however

This move is extremely unpopular with Malton-based drivers
Does Castleline use Rawcliffe?

markymark2000

On Moderation
(probably Whitbys as I don’t think you can do York > Whitby > York within 5h30, thus going over drivers’ hours)
You can do that easily York Stonebow to Whitby is 2h 5 north, 25 min break (while not classed as a full break, it is not driving time), 2h15 south. Bearing in mind that also includes about 8 minutes sat at Malton each way and so if on time that only makes it 4h5 drive roughly.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
You can do that easily York Stonebow to Whitby is 2h 5 north, 25 min break (while not classed as a full break, it is not driving time), 2h15 south. Bearing in mind that also includes about 8 minutes sat at Malton each way and so if on time that only makes it 4h5 drive roughly.
While it's timetabled to take that time, I speak from experience when I say it nearly always takes longer due to traffic.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
There is an 1h35 leeway there (1h25 left based off timetable plus 2x5 mins for the Malton layover) and so even if it runs late, there is plenty of buffer time for driving hours.
You don't want to know how late some Coastliner buses can be...

SCH117X

Established Member
You don't want to know how late some Coastliner buses can be...
Tonight being a perfect example with the A64 closed between the A1237 and Barton Hill. An 840 for Thornton-le-Dale, presumably the 1625 from Leeds due just now at Malton, is as I write this heading south from Stockton on the Forest towards Holtby on the A166 while an 843 has just followed the A166/A1079 into York.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Tonight being a perfect example with the A64 closed between the A1237 and Barton Hill. An 840 for Thornton-le-Dale, presumably the 1625 from Leeds due just now at Malton, is as I write this heading south from Stockton on the Forest towards Holtby on the A166 while an 843 has just followed the A166/A1079 into York.
Oof, I often will see multiple Coastliners right behind each other, reliability is as bad if not worse than TPE's (their main competitor on long routes) reliability.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The delay against the schedule does not matter one bit with regards to driving hours. The driving time clock only starts ticking counts for time that you are driving and so based off a driver swap at Stonebow, the driver on your mentioned trip would have only done 1h40 drive (scheduled 1h15). Yes there is 25 minutes extra driving there but given the buffer space available (1h35), 25 minutes extra drive is nothing and even if the same level of traffic was hit on the return journey, you still have 45 minutes of buffer time for driving hours. It can still be very easily done.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
The delay against the schedule does not matter one bit with regards to driving hours. The driving time clock only starts ticking counts for time that you are driving and so based off a driver swap at Stonebow, the driver on your mentioned trip would have only done 1h40 drive (scheduled 1h15). Yes there is 25 minutes extra driving there but given the buffer space available (1h35), 25 minutes extra drive is nothing and even if the same level of traffic was hit on the return journey, you still have 45 minutes of buffer time for driving hours. It can still be very easily done.
Driver swaps don't tend to happen at Stonebow.

I presume he’s on about York based driver swaps, which do indeed happen at either Stonebow (Castleline, Sightseeing) Piccadilly (22/23/24/25/26), or Rawcliffe P&R (19/20).

I imagine when Coastliner does swap to York it will be Stonebow or the Station for driver changeover

OptareOlympus

Are they selling Malton depot and maintaining a small outstation elsewhere in the town? It seems a risky move regards to drivers. I worked there 20 years ago, and like around 50% of the drivers, I lived in Scarborough. The other half lived in York and there was about 4 or 5 out of the 48 drivers lived in Malton. I can't see Scarborough resident drivers commuting to York. I know I definitely wouldn't have.

M803UYA

Are they selling Malton depot and maintaining a small outstation elsewhere in the town? It seems a risky move regards to drivers. I worked there 20 years ago, and like around 50% of the drivers, I lived in Scarborough. The other half lived in York and there was about 4 or 5 out of the 48 drivers lived in Malton. I can't see Scarborough resident drivers commuting to York. I know I definitely wouldn't have.
It won't be revealed obviously but a modern comparison would be quite interesting. If the number of very local drivers to Malton is small and Scarborough residents would look elsewhere then if they company can recruit sufficient people from the York area that'd offset the loss. York depot didn't exist for Coastliner 20 years ago, the operation was Top Line. Presumably those numbers will be smaller given the passage of time and the changes to the timetable since then.

Andyh82

Established Member
In regards to Malton, aren’t quite a lot of buses parked overnight in the bus station/car park?

Presumably if there is a smaller allocation here, all the buses will be able to be parked with more secure arrangements in the actual depot building

I’d imagine moving part of the allocation to York will mean various runs to/from Malton can be withdrawn. For example at the moment there is a departure towards York and Leeds at 0459, and then another at 0515 and then others at 0540, 0610, 0635 The buses that start in the direction of Scarborough and Thornton le Dale would probably stay at Malton

The journeys that start and end at Tadcaster Garnet Lane will also no longer have to run dead all the way to/from Malton

Last edited:

OptareOlympus

It won't be revealed obviously but a modern comparison would be quite interesting. If the number of very local drivers to Malton is small and Scarborough residents would look elsewhere then if they company can recruit sufficient people from the York area that'd offset the loss. York depot didn't exist for Coastliner 20 years ago, the operation was Top Line. Presumably those numbers will be smaller given the passage of time and the changes to the timetable since then.
I think, as Stagecoach have learned to their extreme cost in Kent, it's best not to second guess what drivers are going to do. That once flagship operator is now crippled most likely beyond any realistic hope of repair. It will be interesting to see what happens at Malton, and yes, it would be interesting to see the resident split 20 years on.

philthetube

Established Member
Why are we now at the stage that when Transdev say they are going to deploy a few people off bus to sell tickets this must turn into a lengthy debate with some people adamant it’s a bad thing

I’m sure some people are programmed to have to react negatively to any action by a bus or train company
not sure I can find people stating that it is a bad thing, just alternative suggestions.

johntea

Established Member
I found out today you can’t push your luck with the single £2 tickets on the Transdev app, they’re rejected if used more than once even if you’re still within the 15 minute countdown (I caught the 1 bus from work then tried the same ticket on the 36 bus)

In West Yorkshire and the MCard app the single £2 tickets can be used on multiple services within 30 minutes ;)

Talking of the ‘1’ service the reliability has gone completely in the bin, the past few days they all seem to become heavily (20-30 minutes) delayed then all turn up behind each other!

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Talking of the ‘1’ service the reliability has gone completely in the bin, the past few days they all seem to become heavily (20-30 minutes) delayed then all turn up behind each other!
That is an extremely common occurrence on Coastliner. People use Coastliner instead of TPE but it's getting to the point where Coastliner is just as bad if not worse than TPE in terms of reliability.