• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Ken H

On Moderation
The new Transdev front page looks much better, and makes it clear which company to click on by showing the most common town names they serve in the image
The York and County, and the Flyer one takes you to the same timetable list. No mention in the coloured boxes of the Otley - Ilkley - Skipton service. But t least York and County gets its own box now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A further issue with the audio announcements on the D1: one of the stops on Scott Hill in Clayton West is announced as "Whistlestop Valley" despite being some distance from the main entrance of that attraction. Now there may or may not be a footpath which links to the railway from there, but a few stops later at Park Mill Way (which is the main entrance to Clayton West Station) the announcement says "if you're riding the Kirklees Light Railway, alight here".

If the railway is committed to their rebranding, this might confuse tourists as they could well alight at the first stop (regardless of which direction the bus is going, as the route on this section goes the same way around the loop whether heading to or from Denby Dale).

SCH117X

Established Member
But they will have known this and if they had a policy of not sending buses out on the first day not up to Transdev standard they should have concentrated on getting a full service on the road rather than the launch, which could have waited.
They did not get access to the vehicles till Sunday so the launch had no effect. I do wonder what words Alex Hornby has said to Arriva and whether there is some clause in the sale Transdevs lawyers will be looking at to get some compensation for the wrecks they have been landed with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldfish62

Established Member
They did not get access to the vehicles till Sunday so the launch had no effect. I do wonder what words AH has said to Arriva and whether there is some clause in the sale Transdevs lawyers will be looking at to get some compensation for the wrecks they have been landed with.
Even more reason then to concentrate on getting the buses on the road than doing the launch.

Andyh82

Established Member
Even more reason then to concentrate on getting the buses on the road than doing the launch.
Where have you heard that they haven’t been running services?

Also I don’t see what ‘the launch’ has to do with it, are you suggesting they didn’t run services on Sunday because they were busy rebranding them?

Bayum

Established Member
Just seen this this evening:

Dramatic pictures captured the moment a bus lost control and ploughed into a Wetherby shop.

Emergency services and officers from West Yorkshire Police rushed to the scene after the crash, which closed Market Place in Wetherby's town centre earlier today.

A police spokesperson told LeedsLive that no one was injured in the incident.

Read more: Danny Malin tries 'Yorkshire's best chicken shop' for Rate My Takeaway - and struggles to contain his excitement

Eyewitnesses claimed that the bus swerved across the road crashing into shops close to the Post Office and the famous Wetherby Whaler fish and chip shop.

On Twitter, Metro said: "Due to an accident outside Wetherby Bus Station @FirstWestYorks Service X99 is unable to serve the Bus Station and will use the High Street. Because of this, services are unable to serve Linton. More on this as we get it."

A police spokesperson told Yorkshire Live: "A bus had lost control had driven into a shop. We believe there to be no injuries.

"Emergency services remain at the scene, but the road is now open."

On one of my local 'Grumbler' Facebook groups, someone who reportedly saw the incident has said:
Only a matter of time with the standard of driving in Wetherby.
You can clearly see from the CCTV (not sure if in this article) that the bus has to take evasive action from a car pulling in front of it.
I only hope the driver of that car is dealt with and brought to account for their actions!

A Facebook video of CCTV image showing a white car attempting to perform a 'u-turn' in front of a bus, which clips the white car, the bus swerves to avoid the white car and collides with a large SUV and crashes into a newsagents.

Last edited:

96tommy

It could easily have been much worse. There were often large crowds outside the Wetherby Whaler during lockdown when you couldn't go in. I haven't been back to Wetherby since I moved down to London last month, so I'm not sure of the current practice there.

SCH117X

Established Member
Typical gutterpress reporting with an OTT headline - if they had a video of it happening it maybe but "Bus crashes into Wetherby shop" would be more appropriate.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Where have you heard that they haven’t been running services?

Also I don’t see what ‘the launch’ has to do with it, are you suggesting they didn’t run services on Sunday because they were busy rebranding them?
Please refer to post #1778.

If you can't see that having a public launch while at the same time not being able to deliver your product for whatever reason is not great then I don't know what else to say.

Andyh82

Established Member
Please refer to post #1778.

If you can't see that having a public launch while at the same time not being able to deliver your product for whatever reason is not great then I don't know what else to say.
The public launch of Team Pennine was last Thursday/Friday when the services were still run by Yorkshire Tiger

Dusty_Bin

They did not get access to the vehicles till Sunday so the launch had no effect. I do wonder what words Alex Hornby has said to Arriva and whether there is some clause in the sale Transdevs lawyers will be looking at to get some compensation for the wrecks they have been landed with.
Conditions of sale. Transdev have been working at the locations for around a month now. Arriva will have to ensure that the vehicles are in a position to operate before the deal is full closed.

M803UYA

Conditions of sale. Transdev have been working at the locations for around a month now. Arriva will have to ensure that the vehicles are in a position to operate before the deal is full closed.
A similar thing happened when D&G took over parts of Arriva Midlands earlier this year, and they suffered badly from vehicle availability (vehicles being inoperable). I don't know what happened in that situation from the legal perspective, if anything was done. But all this information was in the public domain, so I'd be amazed if Transdev didn't consider the same thing could happen to them and plan accordingly drafting in spare stock?

Andyh82

Established Member
Again, we’ve had one report of two trips not running on Sunday, which may have been due to a staff shortage in any case

Yet the discussion is still carrying on that there is a massive vehicle problem with missed trips left right and centre and emergency measures of other vehicles having to be drafted in. There is no evidence this is the case.

And on that note, there are various photos online showing vehicles having been partially re-panelled in recent weeks, leaving only part of the Yorkshire Tiger fleetname visible, so it seems there was a forced effort to deliver a certain standard of vehicle to Transdev

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Again, we’ve had one report of two trips not running on Sunday, which may have been due to a staff shortage in any case

Yet the discussion is still carrying on that there is a massive vehicle problem with missed trips left right and centre and emergency measures of other vehicles having to be drafted in. There is no evidence this is the case.

And on that note, there are various photos online showing vehicles having been partially re-panelled in recent weeks, leaving only part of the Yorkshire Tiger fleetname visible, so it seems there was a forced effort to deliver a certain standard of vehicle to Transdev
It should also be pointed out that Alex Hornby had thanked Arriva for their professional approach in due diligence and releasing staff to participate in the launch.

The parallels with the D&G purchase of Cannock are perhaps nearer to the fact that in both instances, the newer/better fleet was spirited away and didn't form part of the sale. Therefore, you have a very elderly fleet that both D&G and Transdev will need to get to grips with (and are).

Andyh82

Established Member
Referenced in the FirstGroup thread is WYCA's ZEBRA bid. (That's West Yorkshire Combined Authority's Zero Emission Bus Regional Area bid!)

The Transdev element is for 32 single deckers for Shuttle 662 and Flyer A1/A2/A3

Referenced in the FirstGroup thread is WYCA's ZEBRA bid. (That's West Yorkshire Combined Authority's Zero Emission Bus Regional Area bid!)

The Transdev element is for 32 single deckers for Shuttle 662 and Flyer A1/A2/A3
32! Bloody hell. Pardon my ignorance on this, but is this due to the Bradford LEZ at all? And is there a time frame on this? It would seem strange for Flyer to get new buses after the Versas have been refurbished so recently.

Volvodart

Established Member
The winners of the funding in this phase are said to be selected in February 2022.

Andyh82

Established Member
Yes and when you think about ticking all the right boxes both to make the bid look good, and from Transdev's perspective of being high profile routes, and being run by single decks, the Flyer will be right up there.

Brooke

Yeah, so by the time the infrastructure is sorted and the vehicles delivered, you're probably looking at late 2022 if not 2023. The fact that the Versas got refurbished last year won't make much difference by that time.
There’s also an implementation timeline (if approved) at page 22 of this document, which broadly matches those timelines: https://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/med...f-interest-final-redacted-for-publication.pdf.

I believe the routes can also be inferred from the maps elsewhere in the document, but I’ve not had a proper look

JetBlast

They are doing some work at the Rosso Rochdale depot. Looks like there is some concreting happening. Thought they were looking elsewhere? Guess there wasn’t anything suitable.

Established Member
They are doing some work at the Rosso Rochdale depot. Looks like there is some concreting happening. Thought they were looking elsewhere? Guess there wasn’t anything suitable.
Not sure but a few pictures are on twitter about improvements being made at the depot.

Also Team Pennine now has Pride of the North branded 1717, 1718 and 1720 which have come across from Rosso.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There’s also an implementation timeline (if approved) at page 22 of this document, which broadly matches those timelines: https://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/med...f-interest-final-redacted-for-publication.pdf.

I believe the routes can also be inferred from the maps elsewhere in the document, but I’ve not had a proper look
Thanks for that link and, as I suspected, the infrastructure for Transdev is booked for 2022, with vehicles in 2022 and 2023, with infrastructure listed for both Keighley and Idle.

And yes, the routes can be identified on the map for First and Arriva as well