• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

aswilliamsuk

Transdev have registered cancellations of Team Pennine services 262 and 319 with VOSA

The 319 is an ex K Line service and replicates First service 306 exactly. Due to the duplication it is always at the front of the queue for cancellations so often never actually runs

It’s the last of the routes where First and K Line competed that still on paper has competition, with one or the other coming off the other routes (Golcar, Meltham, Balmoral Avenue, Brackenhall) over the last 3 or 4 years either during the Tiger era or during the Transdev era

The 262 is a new service in its current form although Yorkshire Tiger had a 262 which is now Arriva 261. This would leave one road unserved, the rest is served by Arriva’s 261
The 262 was an attempt at a return of the service for Kirkheaton into Huddersfield that Yorkshire Traction's old 262 service used to do - via Waterloo, rather than through Dalton. Apparently it was introduced thanks to requests from passengers, clearly they didn't use it enough.

The 319 going is the end of an era, but frankly I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

For many years there was competition on the Golcar circulars (Blue Bus for a long time, and K-Line did for a while if I'm not mistaken), clearly once upon a time there was a lot of business to be had.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
From my records K Line started on the Golcar route in 2001 and ran until 2019, by that point as Yorkshire Tiger

366 Balmoral Avenue was withdrawn 2017
324 Meltham was suspended at some stage during Covid, I don't have a date as technically Team Pennine still run it (one tendered trip at 10pm)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
For many years there was competition on the Golcar circulars (Blue Bus for a long time, and K-Line did for a while if I'm not mistaken), clearly once upon a time there was a lot of business to be had.
I remember First and Blue having at least 16bph on the 300/301/302/331/332. First dropped to 6bph quite quickly after Blue gave up.

Seehof

York, Acomb. There is a loop that the 24 should do on its return to York leaving the Boroughbridge road to go up Grantham drive, returning via Lyndsey avenue to return on a little section of the Boroughbridge road again before going straight into York via the Holgate road. They are now starting increasingly to miss this loop out (Arriva used to do this constantly) - today 23rd Thursday the 0900 from Lyndsey avenue did not run. Well it did but not round the loop leaving behind amongst others a mum taking two children to nursery one of which had a tantrum at being dragged down the road to the Regent bus stop for First’s no1.
The problem is that it only needs to do it a couple of times and being an hourly service you cannot rely on it.
I have tried to contact Transdev but they have not replied to the phone or a WhatsApp message. York Council and the York Bus Forum will be my next step.
Tomorrow I will be making the same journey but First York will be getting my patronage. Any comments, suggestions?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Team Pennine still run the 303 and 304.
They and the 301/302 both serve Golcar, but aren't in direct competition along the exact same route like K-Line were with their own version of the 301/302. The 303/304 services run via Manchester Road rather than Springwood and Paddock, and continue to Scapegoat Hill

Deerfold

Veteran Member
They and the 301/302 both serve Golcar, but aren't in direct competition along the exact same route like K-Line were with their own version of the 301/302. The 303/304 services run via Manchester Road rather than Springwood and Paddock, and continue to Scapegoat Hill
I'm well aware of the area - my sister lived in Golcar until a couple of years ago. There's a reasonable amount of route with competition (although the 303/4 are tendered) - although not as much as when they were twice their current frequency.

HST43257

Established Member
York, Acomb. There is a loop that the 24 should do on its return to York leaving the Boroughbridge road to go up Grantham drive, returning via Lyndsey avenue to return on a little section of the Boroughbridge road again before going straight into York via the Holgate road. They are now starting increasingly to miss this loop out (Arriva used to do this constantly) - today 23rd Thursday the 0900 from Lyndsey avenue did not run. Well it did but not round the loop leaving behind amongst others a mum taking two children to nursery one of which had a tantrum at being dragged down the road to the Regent bus stop for First’s no1.
The problem is that it only needs to do it a couple of times and being an hourly service you cannot rely on it.
I have tried to contact Transdev but they have not replied to the phone or a WhatsApp message. York Council and the York Bus Forum will be my next step.
Tomorrow I will be making the same journey but First York will be getting my patronage. Any comments, suggestions?
That’s poor to hear. It’s often the most used bit of a relatively little used service. I have had success talking to Transdev on Twitter messaging before. Well worth raising with the council and bus forum.

SCH117X

Established Member
Whitby service saved for the time being https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/coast...e-840-across-north-york-moors-whitby-continue

Coastliner’s parent company Transdev says 13,000 customers in the February half term week took advantage of the £2 maximum one-way fare, saving an average of £5.50 per trip.
The bus operator now says its Coastliner 840 service will not be withdrawn in early April, as it steps up plans to attract more people to travel on its buses, including beyond the revised ending of the £2 fare cap on Friday 30 June. A further review of the route’s performance will take place in early Autumn, as Transdev works with North Yorkshire County Council to plan for the longer term.

RustySpoons

This confirms who have been awarded the Ribble Valley services Transdev surrendered. https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/941970/january-2023-to-december-2023.pdf

6/14/15 - Vision Bus
113 - Vision Bus
64 - Pilkington Bus
65/69 - Preston Bus
66/67 - Preston Bus

68 stays with Transdev

Interesting times ahead! I wonder if Transdev retaining the 68 will be part of the apparently soon-to-be announced changes to their existing 2 service, possibly extending it to Colne or similar? Would make sense and also provide an extra link to Burnley General Hospital from Colne.

There's at least one ex Keighley Solo (YJ17FUY - Fleet 156) in Burnley orange and one of the Mellors has been spotted in generic Transdev grey base colours. The plan, as I've heard it, is that the Solos will be primarily used on the 2 (Burnley - Higherford) and the 5 (Rosegrove - Harle Syke) services. Size wise they'll be much better than the B10s which struggle with the tight roads, but capacity may be an issue at peak times with Nelson & Colne College on the 2 - though I'm sure a decker could be worked into the diagram to help out there.

Multi-operator ticketing is available for the Lancashire County Council services, but will still be an extra £16 a week if they need to connect with existing Transdev services which isn't ideal!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyh82

Established Member
I had a ride on the 66 Nelson to Clitheroe bus a few Saturday afternoons ago.

Two plus myself boarded in Nelson and both alighted locally, I then had the next 30 mins through the countryside to myself before another 4 boarded within a few miles of Clitheroe. I know it’s only one trip on a Saturday in winter, although the weather was adequate, but it shows what they are up against with these contracts

Last edited:

Ant158

I had a ride on the 66 Nelson to Clitheroe bus a few Saturday afternoons ago.

Two including myself boarded in Nelson and both alighted locally, I then had the next 30 mins through the countryside to myself before another 4 boarded within a few miles of Clitheroe. I know it’s only one trip on a Saturday in winter, although the weather was adequate, but it shows what they are up against with these contracts
One of the issues with this route over Pendle is that it is really 2 sets of routes cobbled together.

If you live in Downham or Barley and want to go to Clitheroe you don't need to go via Waddington to get there. I'm the past, when ribble had the Clitheroe depot and into Blazefield days there were circular routes from Clitheroe to Waddington, a route that just went to Downham and back etc.

When they started amalgamating the services together they ended up with routes that are longer for most passengers. There isn't much demand end to end between Clitheroe and Nelson.

I also remember when there used to be a pendleside minibus through Pendleton and Wiswell.

darloscott

Interesting times ahead! I wonder if Transdev retaining the 68 will be part of the apparently soon-to-be announced changes to their existing 2 service, possibly extending it to Colne or similar? Would make sense and also provide an extra link to Burnley General Hospital from Colne.

There's at least one ex Keighley Solo (YJ17FUY - Fleet 156) in Burnley orange and one of the Mellors has been spotted in generic Transdev grey base colours. The plan, as I've heard it, is that the Solos will be primarily used on the 2 (Burnley - Higherford) and the 5 (Rosegrove - Harle Syke) services. Size wise they'll be much better than the B10s which struggle with the tight roads, but capacity may be an issue at peak times with Nelson & Colne College on the 2 - though I'm sure a decker could be worked into the diagram to help out there.

Multi-operator ticketing is available for the Lancashire County Council services, but will still be an extra £16 a week if they need to connect with existing Transdev services which isn't ideal!
Strata’s going onto the 1, 3 and 4 according to the latest staff newsletter. E200s to stay to help at busier times…

Established Member
One of the issues with this route over Pendle is that it is really 2 sets of routes cobbled together.

If you live in Downham or Barley and want to go to Clitheroe you don't need to go via Waddington to get there. I'm the past, when ribble had the Clitheroe depot and into Blazefield days there were circular routes from Clitheroe to Waddington, a route that just went to Downham and back etc.

When they started amalgamating the services together they ended up with routes that are longer for most passengers. There isn't much demand end to end between Clitheroe and Nelson.

I also remember when there used to be a pendleside minibus through Pendleton and Wiswell.

Outside of school times and maybe summer weekends the middle part of that route will never be very busy. Downham, Barley, Newchurch, Roughlee are all really tiny, and Chatburn has a more direct route to Clitheroe on the 280. So there's half an hour of not very much between Fence/Blacko and Grindleton. Nelson town centre is dead now which can't help matters. I think some of the villages on that side of the hill had a direct service to Burnley at one time, I wonder if that might be more useful today, though of course it would take longer and so be more expensive to run as well.

Andyh82

Established Member
I forgot to mention that part, whereas many towns are not great these days, Nelson was something else. The shopping centre is half empty, most of it closed down, I think the best shop in there was a newsagents. The bus station wasn’t exactly busy with no more than about 8 people in attendance at any one time across all the stands

Yes having everything that terminates at Nelson actually going to Burnley instead or as well as would make more sense

RustySpoons

The Merc Mellor at Burnley that has been repainted into Transdev Go livery is WP21FGZ - Fleet No. 67

@Mattburley2 says...
It may be an app with big features, but it doesn’t stop our smallest buses telling customers all about it!

Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 16.24.17.png

And the rear branding on Solo YJ17FUY - Fleet No. 156

@Mattburley2 says...
And another shiny bus for Burnley has arrived, ready to welcome customers onboard. #BetterBusesForBurnley

Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 16.27.43.png

Nice bit of detail with the branding around the bonnet vents!

There was talk a while back of Transdev adopting a generic livery for all their fleets which was said to be based on Transdev Go/Pride of the North grey on grey. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be happening!

On the topic of liveries, and I know this is purely subjective, I still think the Burnley fleet would look much better in the classic red/cream livery of old - especially in the Blazefield era style...

jonesy3001

Established Member
The Merc Mellor at Burnley that has been repainted into Transdev Go livery is WP21FGZ - Fleet No. 67

@Mattburley2 says...

View attachment 130235

And the rear branding on Solo YJ17FUY - Fleet No. 156

@Mattburley2 says...

View attachment 130236

Nice bit of detail with the branding around the bonnet vents!

There was talk a while back of Transdev adopting a generic livery for all their fleets which was said to be based on Transdev Go/Pride of the North grey on grey. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be happening!

On the topic of liveries, and I know this is purely subjective, I still think the Burnley fleet would look much better in the classic red/cream livery of old - especially in the Blazefield era style...

It's one of the ex Otley Dash solos. I wondered what was happening to them.

It is speculated on the Travel West Yorkshire forum and Transdev enthusiasts facebook group that Alex Hornby may have left the company. It is also noted that he has been absent from Twitter since mid February (very rare for him).

Remember this is *speculated*, not fact.

JetBlast

The last post (only a few weeks ago) contained holiday photos of himself and the family. Maybe he is enjoying a break.

But that said, he has been pushing the envelope so it wouldn’t be a big surprise.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
The last post (only a few weeks ago) contained holiday photos of himself and the family. Maybe he is enjoying a break.

But that said, he has been pushing the envelope so it wouldn’t be a big surprise.
I was told a week to two back that he's spending some time in the garden, but I have no idea whether that's true.

Established Member
With the caveats that it's difficult to know how costs are allocated at subsidiaries and that 2021 is a weird year with Covid and everything, the recently uploaded accounts suggest the worst performing parts of the business are Rosso and Team Pennine - ie the bits someone decided to buy recently.

Bristol LHS

With the caveats that it's difficult to know how costs are allocated at subsidiaries and that 2021 is a weird year with Covid and everything, the recently uploaded accounts suggest the worst performing parts of the business are Rosso and Team Pennine - ie the bits someone decided to buy recently.

Does feel like there’s a touch of the Moir Lockheads about Blazefield - a desire to colour in more of the map, even if the territory’s poor, same with some of the tenders in Ribble Valley and Wharfedale.

I do think (in any sector) some CEOs are good-time growth people; good at spotting an opportunity, riding a wave and speculating to accumulate in good times: Hornby, Martijn Gilbert. Others (often those who’ve come up through the finance department) are good at keeping a grip on costs and managing decline, squeezing a bit more out of what’s left, giving up on the real dross. The really “amazing” CEOs and MDs are those who can do a bit of both. I don’t know the bus industry as well as my own, but someone like Nigel Featham strikes me as someone who’s managed to grow the good stuff with some limited (but strong) branding initatives at Arriva and now Go North West; but has also clearly got the backbone and work ethic to cut costs, as he did by pruning the network at Arriva NE, and with the working practice changes at Go North West.