• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

theblackwatch

Established Member
The service is funded by Dalesbus from whom additional funding would be neccessary as the service is now a 1hr 15 in each direction rather than just under 50 mins and would need 2 buses not 1 to operate it. The vehicle used yesterday, the 62 reg Gemini 2 3613 had a trip to Knaresborough on the 1A in between its 59 duties. Knaresborough was very slow along the High Street yesterday which was causing amounting delays on Route 1 which the use of 3613 helped to relieve.
Were free sweets provided on the Knaresboro service? :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The eCitaro is a nice piece of kit, we’ve had one on demo here. Interesting choice, though, as generally demand for the Citaro is pretty low in the uk these days.

Delenn

Makes sense if they are also ordering the same for other operations. I wonder if they will order more in the future for the Flyer routes, weren't these supposed to be at least partially funded through WYCA or did I dream that?
I've seen mentioned that Idle is unsuitable for the infrastructure, so I think there is a lot to sort out before Flyer could be done.

SCH117X

Established Member
Idle and Keighley could both be set out for EVs by dropping cables down from the roof with the chargers to the side of the depot - an approach done quite often on the continent. The demo eCitaro doesn't seem have done very well today - tracks from the depot to Harrogate and then to Knaresborough bus station only.

Ashly_Jethro

Idle and Keighley could both be set out for EVs by dropping cables down from the roof with the chargers to the side of the depot - an approach done quite often on the continent. The demo eCitaro doesn't seem have done very well today - tracks from the depot to Harrogate and then to Knaresborough bus station only.
With regard to idle I think it’s more of a financial standpoint. Think the depot itself is a problem area already so investing in new infrastructure is understandably unappealing. Those services could quite easily be divided up between Keighley and Harrogate, allowing for closure of idle. Makes more sense since both have their own engineering facilities and will have the correct infrastructure anyway

RustySpoons

For a long time now I've said that Burnley's evening bus services are shockingly bad, with very little or no services in most areas of the town unless you live on the Mainline or X43 routes.

Now, with Lancashire County Council funding, there's a host of improvements across the board.

https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/burnley/new-later-buses-all-around-town

We're making some changes to our times from 26 Nov to bring you new later buses, in partnership with Lancashire County Council. Our new late buses will be all over town, making it even easier to get around to our bars, restaurants, cinema and to see your friends and family.

The new journeys will be just £1 after 7pm, making it fantastic value to get around - don't bother with the hassle of parking, let us do the driving for you!

the 1 Burnley to Stoops

There will be a few minor changes to the current timetable plus new evening buses will run every hour until 22.30 from Burnley, with easy connections from Witchway and Mainline. Download your new timetable here.

the 3 Burnley to Pike Hill

Buses during the evening will run hourly until 23.00 from Burnley, with easy connections from Witchway and Mainline. Download your new timetable here.

the 4 Burnley to Worsthorne

During the main part of the day, buses from Pike Hill towards Worsthorne will run a minute earlier than now. Download your new timetable here.

the 5 Burnley to Rosegrove or Harle Syke

There will be a few minor changes to the current timetable plus new evening buses will run hourly, with the last bus to Harle Syke at 22.55 and Rosegrove at 23.27, with easy connections from Witchway and Mainline. Download your new timetable here.

Mainline M2 Burnley to Clitheroe

There will be a few minor changes to the current evening service, with a brand new departure at 22.58 from Burnley all of the way through to Clitheroe. Download your new timetable here.

Mainline M3, M4, M5 & M6 Burnley to Colne, Keighley, Trawden, Skipton or Barnoldswick

There will be a few minor changes to the current evening service, plus new departures at 19.45 from Burnley to Skipton, 20.55 from Skipton to Burnley and 23.30 from Burnley to Colne. Download your new timetable here.

Witchway Burnley to Manchester

A new journey will run on Mondays to Thursdays at 22.40 from Burnley to Rawtenstall. On Fridays and Saturdays, the journey at the same time will still run to Manchester. Download your new timetable here.

The local services only show the departure times from the bus station/destination rather than the full timetable, but with the new services being an hourly frequency I'm guessing they'll be interworked, which explains the last bus to Harle Syke being a half hour earlier than the last bus to Rosegrove.

There's also small improvements on the Mainline and a handy late (one way) service to Rawtenstall on the X43, which will be convenient for anyone living up Manchester Road/Bleak House.

Good improvements, and with reliability looking to be massively improving also with the added benefit of the £2 maximum fare (and post 7pm £1 fare in Lancashire) it will hopefully make the bus a lot more useful again.

SCH117X

Established Member
B9TL 2428 has already moved from Burnley to Starbeck to allow MMC 2015 to go the other way move and B9TL 2427 is earmarked to do a swap with MMC 2017. The only other B9TLs at Burnley are ex Lothian ones with higher density seating 2451 and 2452. Swopping 2019 is not as straightforward as it sounds as 2451 and 2452 are not suitable for Coastliner and if 2427 were to go to Malton Starbeck would normally judge one of those others as a school bus.

Last edited:

Dallamlad

Established Member
It’s been interesting watching the Red Express the last two weekends. Blackburn appear to be putting deckers on to cope with the number of people. 2426 left Ramsbottom completely full in the last hour and 1870 is only in Haslingden at the moment and is already busy. Good to see for a service that has more lives than a cat!

Established Member
It’s been interesting watching the Red Express the last two weekends. Blackburn appear to be putting deckers on to cope with the number of people. 2426 left Ramsbottom completely full in the last hour and 1870 is only in Haslingden at the moment and is already busy. Good to see for a service that has more lives than a cat!

I think the £2 fare is definitely having an impact at weekends. Plus the Christmas markets have started now. I would advise going to Chorlton Street to catch the X43 especially at busy times, I've heard of people waiting at the stop near the Arndale having three or four buses in a row go past already full, and that was before any Christmas traffic would have started.

Incidentally, Chorlton Street is the only place you can board or alight a Transdev service in the city centre this afternoon, they're skipping all the rest because of the ridiculous traffic.

M60lad

They were still skipping most of the city centre last night I was waiting for my bus home and noted the late running 19:30 X43 (left Chorlton Street at 19:55) heading up Lever Street.

With their Twitter not actually manned at weekends I'm not to sure whether the fact they were taking the alternate route out of Manchester was posted to any potential passengers in Manchester that they wouldn't be serving their usual stops.

The other problem is that outbound from Manchester for some reason despite wanting to avoid traffic on Princess Street/Deansgate their routed via Church Street/High Street which on the run up to Christmas creates its own traffic problems, I'm not to sure why they don't do what Stagecoach/First do and send their services straight up Lever Street and then onto Swan Street which might be busy but is less busy and is quicker from what I've seen.

Leedsbusman

They were still skipping most of the city centre last night I was waiting for my bus home and noted the late running 19:30 X43 (left Chorlton Street at 19:55) heading up Lever Street.

With their Twitter not actually manned at weekends I'm not to sure whether the fact they were taking the alternate route out of Manchester was posted to any potential passengers in Manchester that they wouldn't be serving their usual stops.

The other problem is that outbound from Manchester for some reason despite wanting to avoid traffic on Princess Street/Deansgate their routed via Church Street/High Street which on the run up to Christmas creates its own traffic problems, I'm not to sure why they don't do what Stagecoach/First do and send their services straight up Lever Street and then onto Swan Street which might be busy but is less busy and is quicker from what I've seen.
The message below from Saturday suggests their Twitter is ‘manned’

Due to severe congestion in Chapel Street And Deansgate Witchway X43 & Red Express X41 will be unable to reach certain stops

Stops missed: Victoria Street, Deansgate, Princess Street, Market Street

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
According to the West Yorkshire Information Service fleetlist, available at www.wyis.org.uk (as is a First York one) 207 to 214 inclusive plus 216 are at York, although looking at Bustimes it hasn't worked since Nov16

Established Member

There seem to have been a few routes in use, Newton Street in both directions seems to have been a common one. At least one bus also seems to have tried going round to Salford Central and trying to get into the centre from that way (very slowly). Maybe trying different routes to see what the least bad option is?

They do need to get some communication out about where the buses are going on the remaining weekends before Christmas, because it's probably not going to get any better. The Bee Network have already announced a diversion for the number 8, which applies 7am to 10am and 3pm to 9pm 7 days a week for the rest of the year. Chorlton Street only is not great for Christmas shoppers though, or a lot of other passengers really, Strangeways to Chorlton Street is a long way with no stops. If they could get to Shudehill that would be useful but as you say that isn't going to help reliability.

At some point the council have got to acknowledge that the current traffic management, or lack thereof, doesn't work.

Seehof

The A1 Flyer from Leeds to the airport has numerous cancellations each day. This is making the half hour service hourly at certain times of the day. This is totally unsatisfactory as an airport bus service which ever way you are travelling. I am glad I don’t need to use it in the foreseeable future but Good Luck to those who do and I hope you make your flights.

RustySpoons

The A1 Flyer from Leeds to the airport has numerous cancellations each day. This is making the half hour service hourly at certain times of the day. This is totally unsatisfactory as an airport bus service which ever way you are travelling. I am glad I don’t need to use it in the foreseeable future but Good Luck to those who do and I hope you make your flights.
I wonder if Flyer is hampered somewhat because it runs from its own depot. If a driver can't make it in due to illness there'll be a smaller selection of standby/spare drivers, whereas at Keighley/Harrogate/etc there's likely more available drivers or more opportunity to drop a duty on a high frequency service.

Seehof

A1: Looks like an hourly service today from mid morning until early afternoon due to cancellations. I feel really sorry for people needing to use it, especially in this weather.

Roilshead

Overcrowding can be a problem if a previous service has missed. On several occasions when I've been travelling towards the Airport the bus has been full at the City Square stop, with no room for those wishing to board at the Crowne Plaza or opposite the IBIS/Holiday Inn Express on Kirkstall Road.

Ken H

On Moderation
Overcrowding can be a problem if a previous service has missed. On several occasions when I've been travelling towards the Airport the bus has been full at the City Square stop, with no room for those wishing to board at the Crowne Plaza or opposite the IBIS/Holiday Inn Express on Kirkstall Road.
Isn't there some reason why double deckers cant go to the airport? A 70 seat bus would be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
When things are busy on the roads, we all want speedy boarding so we can get to where we're going on time.
You may see some of our friendly team at the busiest stops selling tickets before you board.
This means we can run as reliably as possible for you.

This is interesting, I personally think that there is a risk of people Impersonating real Transdev workers to get people's money. Surely it would be easier for Transdev to promote buying tickets through their app.

RustySpoons

This is interesting, I personally think that there is a risk of people Impersonating real Transdev workers to get people's money. Surely it would be easier for Transdev to promote buying tickets through their app.
To be fair I can't see anyone going to the lengths of getting a Ticketer machine (or similar) just to get a few quid from people waiting at the bus stop.

RustySpoons

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
You'd have to blag a lot of £2 fares to make that scam worthwhile.

I'm guessing Transdev staff at the bus stop will have a mobile Ticketer unit, print a ticket with a QR code that the passenger will scan on the bus. Much quicker than having tens of people using contactless payment as they board.
Makes me think its far easier to get people to buy a ticket on the app, especially for Transdev.

peterblue

Makes me think its far easier to get people to buy a ticket on the app, especially for Transdev.
A few years back I have seen customer representatives in Leeds Bus Station selling tickets for the Coastliner. They were stood by the departure stand advising people, and selling some tickets.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
A few years back I have seen customer representatives in Leeds Bus Station selling tickets for the Coastliner. They were stood by the departure stand advising people, and selling some tickets.
I get doing it at major bus stations, but not at some bus stop which is busy but may only have a small shelter.